Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by troyka
Joined Jun 2016
4 Posts
Discussion
What is the best budget 450 size heli?

Hi guys

I've been flying smaller 3D helis (WLToys v977) for a while now. My skills have improved and and I'm looking to step up into a larger helicopter. I have a Walkera Devo 10 transmitter that has been deviated to support all manner of models.

My question is, what is the best 450 size budget helicopter to buy? I've been looking at the Walkera V450D03 BNF because it seems like it's available at a good price ($300 AUS / $200 US) However I've read that Walkera has stopped making parts for it.

Also, despite having decent reviews, this heli has been around since 2012, so surely there must be a newer, better 450 heli that has cheap parts available, flies like a dream and is in the same price range?

Any thoughts, opinions or recommendations are welcome

Troyka
troyka is offline Find More Posts by troyka
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Venting Nowlege
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
5,641 Posts
Where you live has a huge impact on what brands will work best for you.

Personally, I'm 25 minutes away from a Hobby Town that stocks primarily Blade helicopters and parts.

It was just too easy and convenient to ignore.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Old Jun 20, 2016, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by troyka
Joined Jun 2016
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve

I generally order all of my helis and parts through the internet, so it's not too much of a problem which make or type they are, so long as there are actually parts to buy of course.

Blade certainly seem to have a lot of excellent Helis, although they aren't always the most budget choice.
troyka is offline Find More Posts by troyka
Old Jun 23, 2016, 06:04 AM
Find More Posts by Watho 46
Fly crash order parts repeate
Australia, NSW, Chittaway Point
Joined Mar 2015
243 Posts
Hi Guys
I would have a look at the walkera 450 DO3 not bad flys OK and is a reasable price and hard to kill

just at thought

Watho
Watho 46 is offline Find More Posts by Watho 46
Old Jun 23, 2016, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by yakky
Joined Mar 2015
109 Posts
The V450D03 is an awesome heli for the $, but being that it is not really supported by Walkera, it might not be a good choice for future parts support. They do fly great right out of the box, and IMO the Walkera 6-axis system is more conducive to learning than blades "SAFE" which is way more of a nanny.

IMO your best bet is to get an Align 450 Sport if you have to have BNF or build a Tarot 450. The sport will run you about $350 if you find a deal. A nice Tarot is going to run:

Kit $120
Yep 40 $20
TGY-306x4=$80
Lemon Sat =$10
Kbar = $30
Turnigy 2215 motor=$20
Total=$280

If you need self level/bailout, go for the Ikon FBL. If you are really on a budget you can get an Assault 450 and save about $50. There are cheaper servos as well like the HK-922s but you will pay more in the end.
yakky is online now Find More Posts by yakky
Old Jun 25, 2016, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by jakeaheli
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2015
391 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been looking at a walkera either Vd450o3 or the Master Cp

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Blade 230s as parts are a bit ridiculous here in Australia.

How long before Walkera Master Cp parts would run out? I've heard that they have stopped supporting certain models.

Thanks for any help
Jake
jakeaheli is offline Find More Posts by jakeaheli
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by yakky
Joined Mar 2015
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeaheli View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been looking at a walkera either Vd450o3 or the Master Cp

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Blade 230s as parts are a bit ridiculous here in Australia.

How long before Walkera Master Cp parts would run out? I've heard that they have stopped supporting certain models.

Thanks for any help
Jake
Its hard to recommend a Walkera product now that they are no longer supporting them. Will you save any money as Walkera parts prices go up? If you want a cheap crashing heli, there is absolutely nothing cheaper than 250 or 450 clone. Crash costs are at least 1/3 to 1/5th of a blade.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by Watho 46
Fly crash order parts repeate
Australia, NSW, Chittaway Point
Joined Mar 2015
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
Its hard to recommend a Walkera product now that they are no longer supporting them. Will you save any money as Walkera parts prices go up? If you want a cheap crashing heli, there is absolutely nothing cheaper than 250 or 450 clone. Crash costs are at least 1/3 to 1/5th of a blade.
Hi guys
Must admit it has been a while since I've flown the walkers or bought parts

Was looking at the assault 450 ,cheap enough and what parts are not available you replace with the align stuff

But not sure how they fly ,I haven't read to many reports about them

In saying that they are made by garrat and I'm flying the 700 and it is a very good budget heli

Watho
Watho 46 is offline Find More Posts by Watho 46
Old Jun 25, 2016, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2015
391 Posts
Quote:
In my thinking even if Walkera parts go up i don't think they'd be as expensive as Blade.

How long do you think its been since Walkera announced that they are stopping?

Jake
Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by yakky
Joined Mar 2015
109 Posts
Quote:
In my thinking even if Walkera parts go up i don't think they'd be as expensive as Blade.

How long do you think its been since Walkera announced that they are stopping?

Jake
I don't know that there was an official announcement but there haven't been helis on their site in at least two years.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:42 AM
Joined Feb 2015
391 Posts
Quote:
I don't know that there was an official announcement but there haven't been helis on their site in at least two years.
Aah ok i see, you mean there hasn't been any new Walkera products in the last 2 years ?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,857 Posts
I have V450D01 V2/ V450d03/ both fly fine and done so for couple of years.
Parts are still around and believe still being made. Kinda wink / wink with Walkera. If you don't go that route then Tarot kit and istems needed/ but end product will cost more. Then if its set up right.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by yakky
Joined Mar 2015
109 Posts
Quote:
Aah ok i see, you mean there hasn't been any new Walkera products in the last 2 years ?
Not new models. There haven't been ANY listed on their site. It is if they don't exist.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Venting Nowlege
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
5,641 Posts
Hobby King kits provide some good bang for the buck if you are a sport pilot and keep
the head speeds down.

Swap out the gears, belt, and sometimes a few other parts (such as bearings or swash) and you will have a solid bird
that will last many flights.

For hard 3D you are better off getting a quality helicopter from the start that can handle the stress.
(Align, Forza, Gaui, Compass and Blade to name a few.)
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Last edited by Steve_; Jun 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 08:53 PM
Joined Feb 2015
391 Posts
Appreciate your guys help! Thanks so much. Its helping me think about what i actually want before i go ahead and pull the trigger.

I have no issues sport flying without crashing, is only on 3D mode that i do trip up now and then like all of us do from time to time.

I'm definitely looking for something that can handle intermediate to advanced 3D as thats where im wanting to go. Maybe I'll have to hang on to my 230s and keep shopping for cheaper parts and spares.

Jake