Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Apr 10, 2016, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
5,254 Posts
Discussion
Active twisting on membrane wings ... effective ??

Hi

I'm wondering if active twisting will have any noticeable effect on membrane wings ... I feel that in order for it to be effective the wings have to be semi rigid like those on the Robirds .... a wing that will keep its shape and won't deform under load ... like the membrane wing would do ...

On the other hand ...
maybe something like wing tip acceleration mechanism like that of Kjell Dhalberg .. is the key to increasing thrust produced by membrane wings ...

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2016, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Joined Apr 2006
5,802 Posts
Given the vertically asymmetric acceleration effect of gravity on flapping membrane wings , I strongly suspect that the membrane-tightening/loosening system used on the Avitrons effectively alters the twist somewhat. And of course this could easily be augmented with larger ornis via extended and controlled battens, etc.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Apr 10, 2016, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2006
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
Given the vertically asymmetric acceleration effect of gravity on flapping membrane wings , I strongly suspect that the membrane-tightening/loosening system used on the Avitrons effectively alters the twist somewhat. And of course this could easily be augmented with larger ornis via extended and controlled battens, etc.
hmm,,, interesting concept

Thanks Lee

Khaled
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:56 AM
Joined Nov 2006
5,254 Posts
Actually I guess the strip holding the wing sail tight on all new version of SK ornithopters (The power plate) actually increases the thrust by tightening the flapping panels ...