SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
Mini Race Cars 1/18 and smaller

Hi,

What are the best Mini RC cars built for competition? Indoor, both Offroad and Onroad.

I'm building a racetrack atm and the purpose is to make races. No bashing just hunting the best laptimes. We got a group of guys but are all new to the Mini RC scene. I'll build the track with hard surface mats and add removable jumps to it so it fits both race buggies and touring cars.

I've only seen serious mini races from northern Europe or Japan. Anyone here racing minis as well? Which is the best 1/18 or below Touring Car? Which Buggies are the best? So far I only found AE RC18B and Apex. As well as all the MiniZ stuff.

Steve
Steve1988 is offline Find More Posts by Steve1988
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:57 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,865 Posts
There aren't nearly as many options now as there were a few years back. The AE rigs are good. The buggies require a bit of tweaking to get the most out of them but they can work well. For touring you may also want to take a look at the HPI Micro RS4. When going smaller than 1/18 the Kyosho stuff is as good as it gets. They drive very much like their bigger brothers. Very precise, and very race worthy.

I also hear good things about the newer Mini Q3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...81&postcount=5
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
What about the Dnanos? Are they any good to race?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,865 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Dnano line. My understanding is that they are very similar to the Z's just smaller. I absolutely love all of my Mini-Zs though so the nanos are probably great little cars.

If you're limited on space like we are then the 1/24 buggies, and 1/27 Kyosho stuff is IMO the way to go. They are more expensive than other 1/24 and smaller rigs, but for good reason. If you have the room though 1/18 is a blast to race, and is also easier to wrench on. Parts and upgrades for 1/18 are more expensive than they are for the smaller scale cars though so the actual cost ends up being very similar regardless of which route you take.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
Thanks fastmax. I'd like to hear from Dnano owners who tried miniz as well. Anyone? How do they hold up?

I got like 4.54.5 meters which is about 1515 feet.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:55 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,865 Posts
15x15 is extremely small for anything in the 1/18th scale range. I would definitely stick to 1/24 or smaller. I set up an RCP track in a 15x20 and a 20x20 space quite often and run 1/24 off road, and 1/27 1/28 on road. When we used to race 1/18 our track usually measured 25x40 or larger, and larger was better.

I think there are a few Dnano users here. Hopefully they will chime in for you shortly.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
Normally we race 1/10 electric on the small outdoor track and 1/8 nitro on the bigger one over here. So I thought 1/18 should be OK inside. Good that I asked before mass ordering 1/18s.

After searching around a little bit I'll go with MiniZ Buggies for indoor offroad and either Dnano or MiniZ touring cars. I believe that I'll go for the smaller ones if the nanos perform at a similar level. I could fit a lot of 2ft wide track in that room, everything above that and the track seems boring without many turns. Do you think that a 2ft track is enough for the miniZ?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:33 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,865 Posts
2 ft works but I wouldn't go much smaller than that for lane width. Sometimes we will have short sections of 18 inch lane width just to make passing difficult or non existent in a particular area of a track layout. It keep drivers on their toes Our standard RCP track lanes are just under 40 inches which is plenty big for both off road and on road. It does feel much more "roomy" with the 1/27 road cars than it does with the 1/24 buggies though.

You will love the Z buggies. They are a blast. I would order some mod motors for them right from the get go though. They are quite slow with the stock motor. For most of our small track layouts I find the PN Racing 70T motor to be just about perfect. The PN 50T motor really wakes the buggy up and is a riot to run.

http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...r_p_43044.html

http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...n_p_43050.html

If you're going to speed them up with an after market motor I also highly recommend getting this.

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Min...h_p_45049.html

Certain impacts with the upgraded motors have been known to break the front of the chassis. It's not super common but it does happen and the under guard eliminates that risk.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
I went for the MiniZ Buggy 50th anniversary cup edition:
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=109918

Didn't go for any additional tuning parts other than soft foam tyres and aluminium bumper.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:51 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,865 Posts
Nice choice! The x speed motor is a big improvement over the standard stock motor. The other upgrades are something you probably would have done in the future so you saved yourself some money there.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 08:01 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
This would be the space filled with 2ft wide track:

(The ramp and bridge are just for fun not scaled yet.)

Seems like a pretty fun layout to me. I already subtracted the space for people to stand on (the room is 16.5x15ft).
Old Dec 14, 2014, 01:02 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,865 Posts
Looks like it should be a very fun race course. Be sure to post some pics as it starts coming together.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:25 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
321 Posts
for a 2' wide track, there is no way that a 1/18 car will fit... even a 1/24 will have problems fitting... here is a sample track layout with 3' lanes with a 1/28 car:

Banggood SinoHobby Mini-Q3 Test Laps (0 min 34 sec)

If you're going to be hosting a race with multiple cars, then you want nice wide lanes to make it easier for passing... there is nothing more frustrating that getting stuck behind lap traffic and not being able to pass slower cars because the lanes are too narrow. I've raced with the 3' lanes on the track above and that's barely a stretch.... I would prefer at least 4' lanes with the 1/28 car if I was going to organize 4 or more cars to share the track.
bill_delong is offline Find More Posts by bill_delong
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:44 AM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
The apex on this one looks way narrower than 3' though. Imo this track wasn't thought out correctly as they made it wide at the straights and narrow in the turns with a couple unnecessary narrow points. Just my 2 cents, maybe it's the angle.

My track is going to be done with tape so it's easy to change anyways.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:41 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
321 Posts
Yes, there are 2 turns that have 2' distances from the edge of the tape, that was done intentionally to make the course more challenging, however the width of all the lanes are 3' so passing cars can be made possible. The track I made is doable for 3-4 cars and that's about it.

I've also had problems with novice drivers crossing the tape and getting into head on collisions with other cars on the track. If I were to setup an organized racing event on my track, then I'd definitely use a barrier system, probably with some 1/2" PVC
bill_delong is offline Find More Posts by bill_delong