HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
Discussion
DC-6B (C-118) 80" wingspan

I requested my build log be moved here to support the new forum category but I have not seen it moved yet.

So, I thought I would at least post the conclusion of the build since it just went on it's maiden flight.

Here are some pictures for those who have not seen the original thread:

payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
Continuing on:

Old May 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
DC-6B (C-118) Flight (4 min 40 sec)
Old May 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
DC-6B & B-17 (5 min 2 sec)
Old May 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
No plane is safe around ME!
United States, WA, Fairchild AFB
Joined Apr 2012
124 Posts
WOW! Jealous .
sirocelot is offline Find More Posts by sirocelot
Old May 21, 2012, 12:52 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Beautiful to see another DC-6B flying as an RC model. ...
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old May 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Uber Jealous...
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I saw the video before I saw the "build" photos. In the video it looked to be a much smaller plane. Might be the way you flew it ... not afraid! I saw you turning those short and low finals and just presumed it was fairly small. My goodness, a big plane with a flier that just cranks it around. Very nice job, on the build and on your flying of it!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I saw the video before I saw the "build" photos. In the video it looked to be a much smaller plane. Might be the way you flew it ... not afraid! I saw you turning those short and low finals and just presumed it was fairly small. My goodness, a big plane with a flier that just cranks it around. Very nice job, on the build and on your flying of it!
Don
Don,

This design is unique. Pat Tritle seems to have a real talent for making planes that handle well. This one has really light wing loading and many times I have been turning the 60" one or now this 80" one, and people in the pits will yell "your stalling!" or "Holy s%&t your gonna stall". However, that is just the way it flies. It can do really short turns and land short. It is weird but if I really want to turn short and quick it wants to turn cross control...that is rudder for the turn reverse aileron with some up elevator. Never experienced that before on any plane I have flown but I have a pretty good left hand and I am surprised how well it rudder turns and fairly flat.

I haven't calculated the wing loading but the first plane at 60" weighed in at about 29 ounces AUW and the 80" plane weighs 76 ounces AUW.

Thanks,

Dave
Old May 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,695 Posts
Drooling right now. Awesome work.
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old May 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,331 Posts
Dave that's some of most stunning balsa scratch-building I've ever seen that's how I used to build fuselages before I discovered foam & depron in the late 90's. & trust me it is NOT easy Sir.

Excellent DC-6 Sir I hope to see it flying in person someday!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Dave that's some of most stunning balsa scratch-building I've ever seen that's how I used to build fuselages before I discovered foam & depron in the late 90's. & trust me it is NOT easy Sir.

Excellent DC-6 Sir I hope to see it flying in person someday!
DemonDriver,

Thanks....

Actually I have been watching your Mad Dog 80 build and your videos with great interest. I have been planning to order Keith Sparks (Parkflyer Plastics) book on building with foam. Recently he published an article in the AMA magazine on a P-40 that was so realistic that I was amazed that it was built from foam sheeting from home improvement sources.

Here is why I am investigating foam methods: I am looking for ways to build light but more realistic, especially the more complex shapes. I do like stringer and former construction but I also want to find ways to make the shapes of fuselages, wing fillets, fairings etc. more realistically.

The thing I like about the DC-6 is it looks very real in the air. On the ground it looks like a giant rubber powered plane from the 1960's. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it just isn't as realistic as some other ways of building. It is a blast and one of my favorites because it flies like a dream.

The traditional fiberglass molded planes are really heavy but beautiful. I have been flying lighter loaded planes and I am always impressed with how they fly. As some designers say: "Light flies Right". I have a warbird that is gorgeous but a tank. I fly it but it is super difficult. I like the challenge but it isn't something I want to fly a lot.

So, I am looking at other ways as well. Your experiments with plaster and molding foam look quite interesting.

Dave
Old May 23, 2012, 02:09 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
DemonDriver,

Thanks....

Actually I have been watching your Mad Dog 80 build and your videos with great interest. I have been planning to order Keith Sparks (Parkflyer Plastics) book on building with foam. Recently he published an article in the AMA magazine on a P-40 that was so realistic that I was amazed that it was built from foam sheeting from home improvement sources.

Here is why I am investigating foam methods: I am looking for ways to build light but more realistic, especially the more complex shapes. I do like stringer and former construction but I also want to find ways to make the shapes of fuselages, wing fillets, fairings etc. more realistically.

The thing I like about the DC-6 is it looks very real in the air. On the ground it looks like a giant rubber powered plane from the 1960's. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it just isn't as realistic as some other ways of building. It is a blast and one of my favorites because it flies like a dream.

The traditional fiberglass molded planes are really heavy but beautiful. I have been flying lighter loaded planes and I am always impressed with how they fly. As some designers say: "Light flies Right". I have a warbird that is gorgeous but a tank. I fly it but it is super difficult. I like the challenge but it isn't something I want to fly a lot.

So, I am looking at other ways as well. Your experiments with plaster and molding foam look quite interesting.

Dave

Dave I'm greatful for the kind words Sir but my adventures in plaster molds failed miserably lol. . . . So I went back to school & learned the art of fiberglass mold making. As for your amazing DC-6 you build the way I built planes before I discovered foam & depron. I scratch built a passenger version of the B-24 when I was about 25 or so I built it the same way you built your DC-6 only diffenerence was I sheeted over the fuselage & wings stringers with 2mm balsa sheets then laminated the balsa then monokoted everything, I learned how to scratch build with balsa by assembling 50 or 60 Guillows & comet balsa rubber powered & cox control line kits since the age of 9.

Dave simply sheet your DC-6 with depron or balsa and it will no longer have that "guillows" look. . ... . .either way its still beautifull I wis. It was in my collection.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 02:15 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post

Dave simply sheet your DC-6 with depron or balsa and it will no longer have that "guillows" look. . ... . .either way its still beautifull I wis. It was in my collection.

I'll double that Dave, i'd do that also and i'm sure using depron to sheet it will be much better then balsa style sheeting....
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old May 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
I'll double that Dave, i'd do that also and i'm sure using depron to sheet it will be much better then balsa style sheeting....
How would you do a realistic finish on the depron and what would the advantages be over thin balsa?

I have almost zero experience with faom materials.

Thanks,