HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Thank you SPRINGER
You see, I am an old guy, How about 78 and counting.But having fun.
Have to squeeze the RC stuff in between all the other hobbies.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav913 View Post
Hi Sarg5, You can use the foam safe CA without a problem but most guys are using the white Gorilla Glue. A few are experimenting with Foam Tack at the moment also.

Paint wise you can use the non-water based paint as long as you spray from approx. 12+ inches away so that the thinner in the paint disperses before hitting the foam. I've used Krylon rattle cans this way and it does not harm the foam. I would strongly suggest using the water based craft paints though as there is a HUGE selection it's less expensive, sprays well through an airbrush, or can be applied with a brush. I have had no problems with it flaking off any of my planes yet.
Hope this helps.

John
I got a good tip from the CrashCast... the sample-sized paints from Home Depot, etc are a pretty good deal and work well in the cheap Harbor Freight airbrushes when mixed 50/50 with water. And you can color-match the shades.

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...-eggshell.html
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
Thank you SPRINGER
You see, I am an old guy, How about 78 and counting.But having fun.
Have to squeeze the RC stuff in between all the other hobbies.
SARG5
78! Congrats! I'm only 65, but having similar problems! Tough this getting old, ain't it? Foam sure helps, tho!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Any pics of it Sounds cool!
After I test fly it I'll put a picture on the Snowball thread.
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:02 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
78! Congrats! I'm only 65, but having similar problems! Tough this getting old, ain't it? Foam sure helps, tho!
Being only a youthful 50, you guys are a real inspiration!

Our oldest flying club member is 92 now. He started aeromodelling in 1938!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts
Geeezzz, I never imagined I'd ever feel like a kid again. Boy was I wrong........LOL
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
Kids!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ahh...the smell of electrons!
Finger Lakes in NY
Joined Sep 2007
141 Posts
Density Comparisons - Depron vs MPF

I have read through most of the posts in this thread - but not all. So if this has been posted before, please forgive.

The measured density of MPF is 2.25 lb/cuft (from www.modelplanefoam.com/index.php/about-the-product/)

Using the charts from DepronFoam.com (www.depronfoam.com/depron-foam/depron_technical.html), here is a side by side comparison of the densities (Depron's are given in kg/cumeter - so I used a conversion calculator).

Depron Classic (crunchy) -- 6mm: 2.06 lb/cuft ; 3mm: 2.50 lb/cuft
Depron Aero (F3P stuff) --- 6mm: 1.74 lb/cuft ; 3mm: 2.06 lb/cuft
Model Plane Foam ---------- 6mm: 2.25 lb/cuft ; 3mm: 2.25 lb/cuft (sliced)

I ordered my box of MPF on Saturday, and I do intend to slice some down to 3mm with my hot wire cutter. If Adams ever makes a 3mm version of this stuff, it will probably be more than 2.25 lb/cuft, but I think this stuff will be very competitive to typical Depron uses (most modellers don't buy the Aero version). I can't wait to see how it slices and mills.
scottyo is offline Find More Posts by scottyo
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
729 Posts
On laminating with WBPU:

So I was laminating some pieces this week using a minwax WBPU spray. The first time I didn't spray enough, and didn't put my pressure piece correctly (to keep it together) so it didn't really stick, it was patchy. Since most of it wasn't glued, I just peeled it off. (it was a small piece maybe 1 foot by 5 inches).
Then I really sprayed it on with the WBPU, to make sure it was plenty wet before putting it together. That was too much
Not only did it overflow everywhere (leaving yellow marks) but I now also have a week spot in the foam (you can feel it spongy as you press it together, so the spray ate a bit of the foam on one spot (incidentally it was the spot that had glued before).
I don't know if it's the spray propellant (I sprayed like a foot away) or the varnish itself in too much quantity that did it, but here it is, FYI.

I have done many pieces before and somehow I never sprayed incorrectly (not enough or too much). Thus my recommendation now is to spray so that it looks wet, shiny and even, but not more. As usual practice makes perfect, but it is sensitive to not enough or too much, just so you know.

I haven't tried with can and brush yet.
Michael V is online now Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo View Post
I have read through most of the posts in this thread - but not all. So if this has been posted before, please forgive.

The measured density of MPF is 2.25 lb/cuft (from www.modelplanefoam.com/index.php/about-the-product/)

Using the charts from DepronFoam.com (www.depronfoam.com/depron-foam/depron_technical.html), here is a side by side comparison of the densities (Depron's are given in kg/cumeter - so I used a conversion calculator).

Depron Classic (crunchy) -- 6mm: 2.06 lb/cuft ; 3mm: 2.50 lb/cuft
Depron Aero (F3P stuff) --- 6mm: 1.74 lb/cuft ; 3mm: 2.06 lb/cuft
Model Plane Foam ---------- 6mm: 2.25 lb/cuft ; 3mm: 2.25 lb/cuft (sliced)

I ordered my box of MPF on Saturday, and I do intend to slice some down to 3mm with my hot wire cutter. If Adams ever makes a 3mm version of this stuff, it will probably be more than 2.25 lb/cuft, but I think this stuff will be very competitive to typical Depron uses (most modellers don't buy the Aero version). I can't wait to see how it slices and mills.
Density of these foam materials is not precise. It seems to commonly vary +-10% and even +-20% is not rare.
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
Ahh...the smell of electrons!
Finger Lakes in NY
Joined Sep 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Density of these foam materials is not precise. It seems to commonly vary +-10% and even +-20% is not rare.
I am just glad there is a good alternative to Depron now - I don't like how easily it breaks. Whenever I do build with it, I usually use EPP in the nose (or in the entire fuselage) for crash protection - I crash sometimes...

After I build another Infineon with this stuff, I hope to redo my Slow Ride completely with Model Plane Foam. My original has an EPP fuse with 3mm depron flying surfaces (I will use 6mm MPF for those this time). I can't wait to get my box!
scottyo is offline Find More Posts by scottyo
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:24 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
Scottyo: I noticed an order when checked last night, so If it's yours, it'll be at UPS tomorrow about mid day. Enjoy your foam!

Michael: I'd have to guess that the propellant is the culprit there. MPF is just as susceptible to solvents as FFF and other styrene foams. It seems that many rattle cans are using propane as propellant, now that we can't use fluorocarbons, so wouldn't be surprised. I found that with the Krylon H2O paints, even though the paint doesn't affect the foam, the propellant does, so we still have the problem. Nice to know that the wbpu works when the technique is zoned in, though. I've got some wbpu floor varnish that I have to try out as an adhesive on a future plane. Would think that it wouldn't have the attack problem as no propellant.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,762 Posts
Seems like I recall using WBPU clear varnish like stuff that was pretty thin and watery
appearing. It Worked well to protect foam for later spray color applications.
As it was SO thin I brushed it on with no streaking.

I think it was Olympic or Valspar.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
I got a good tip from the CrashCast... the sample-sized paints from Home Depot, etc are a pretty good deal and work well in the cheap Harbor Freight airbrushes when mixed 50/50 with water. And you can color-match the shades.

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...-eggshell.html
I have used the Home Depot Sample size paint.
Try Home Depot MARTHA STEWART. paints. With this paint, HD has a much wider selection of bright colors. Goes on much bette for cover.
Take a look
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,763 Posts
All I can say is watch the weight of these paints. I ruined two otherwise wonderful flying WWII planes by using house paint. There is alot more surface area behind the CG than in front of it.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project