HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:17 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Build Log
Estes HyperX conversion with Video

I had been looking for a cool biplane that was a little different. I also like to modify toy grade planes to hobby grade, so when I saw the HyperX at TRU I felt it fit the bill.

This plane is sold as a RTF. I thought I would try it stock before I started the conversion, but the rudder did not function properly. Since I bought it with intentions of converting it, I didn't bother returning it. So I can't tell you how it flies stock, but here are a few things I can tell you:

It comes with a Nimh battery. It has throttle off steering, but steering is bang-bang. It has two throttle speeds, but the slower speed "pulses" the motor off and on. Altogether I wasn't too impressed with the electronics.

The airframe on the other hand is a different story. I was expecting the thin under-cambered wings that come with he Cox warbirds. These wings are solid with a flat bottom. The foam the plane is made from is a little brittle (eps?) but the plane is built well and the walls of the fuselage aren't too thin. I did put a layer of packing tape on the underside of the wings to give them a little more strength.

This is what the HyperX looks like stock:

billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Here are the guts as they came stock. The black plastic piece has clips that hold the wings on. I cut it down as much as possible, but still used it to hold on my wings. The rudder is controlled by an enclosed actuator. Funny enough they put the battery centered in the wings and added weight to the nose.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
So I gutted it and started playing with where my electronics would go. There is plenty of room and they fit nicely. Notice I enforced the nose with some coffee stir sticks. This was the thinnest foam on the plane and I planned on making a hatch in the front to put the battery in. I installed a 10 gram brushless outrunner and two 5 gram servos. For now the plane will be rudder controlled, but since the wings snap right off I will be able to ad ailerons easily later

I also reinforced the Horizontal stab with a piece of carbon fiber.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:29 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Here it is put back together. I used magnets to hold the battery hatch on, there is plenty of room for a variety of different sized batteries.

I can access the servos and receiver by taking off the canopy.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:32 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
And done!

Here is the completed model next to my Classic Biplane. It came in at 7 Oz, which was a little heavier than I had shot for. My Classic Biplane is 5 Oz in contrast. She still flies great though, scale like on two cells and a screamer on 3.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:35 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I finally got some video of it yesterday. Nothing too crazy, but you can see it flies well. For this particular footage the plane was running on a 3 cell 450 mAh. I forgot to trim the elevator before the flight, so she had a tendency to climb at the start.

HyperX Conversion (2 min 12 sec)
Old Jun 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Wonder how it would do with the dihedrel clipped off the wings????

Looks cool though
Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:07 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I already thought of that, it would definitely need ailerons. One of the reasons I liked this model is because it kind of reminded me of the Americans airplane in Porko Rosso. Maybe it could be a mod!

Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
RC WANABEE
Bremerton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
320 Posts
Great Job! I purchased this plane also with the intention of modding it. But returned it for the turbo thruster instead. I'm glad you had the guts to do it. good job.
RC WANABEE is offline Find More Posts by RC WANABEE
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:00 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC WANABEE
Great Job! I purchased this plane also with the intention of modding it. But returned it for the turbo thruster instead. I'm glad you had the guts to do it. good job.
Thanks! I had my eye on the Turbo Thruster as well, but I decided I'm a prop guy. You gotta draw the line somewhere....
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
hey man i'm ust wondering where the CG is on this? I am an idiot and forgot to check before i gutted it hehehe

got mine all set up and converted to 3ch - just have to set the CG properly and i think i am ready to crash it! ....um i mean fly it
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
bill,great job,vid was nice. I bought one of these with the intent to convert and got side tracked,I'm going with aileron and elevator on mine.
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
Trust 416-my stocker w battery balances at 39mm from leading edge, or about 0r 1 and 9/16 inch from leading edge-balanced at just after the bend in the wing (flatter part as close to the fuse as I could get).
norm613 is offline Find More Posts by norm613