HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2014, 06:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
772 Posts
Discussion
Lost foam 51

With Manilla Slope Fest only 10 weeks away & having nothing to take, I've decided to make life a little bit harder & scratch build a P51.
Originally I was planning to build from one of Paul Janssen's plans & an Andy Blackburn Jet Provost but unfortunately Paul is moving & not selling plans at the moment & the Provost plan still hasn't arrived from Traplet.

Never mind, I have his 36" P51 plan from QFI here (balsa over foam) & I've had it enlarged to 60"
My plan is to use glass over a lost foam plug as per many of Paul's plans & have a crack at cutting my own wings which I haven't done in 20 or more years (& that wasn't exactly a raging success).

Some progress pics to follow.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2014, 11:05 AM
United States, MA, East Longmeadow
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
looks great! thanks for posting.
piper28pc is offline Find More Posts by piper28pc
Old Jul 02, 2014, 11:52 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AL_ View Post
With Manilla Slope Fest only 10 weeks away & having nothing to take, I've decided to make life a little bit harder & scratch build a P51.
Originally I was planning to build from one of Paul Janssen's plans & an Andy Blackburn Jet Provost but unfortunately Paul is moving & not selling plans at the moment & the Provost plan still hasn't arrived from Traplet.

Never mind, I have his 36" P51 plan from QFI here (balsa over foam) & I've had it enlarged to 60"
My plan is to use glass over a lost foam plug as per many of Paul's plans & have a crack at cutting my own wings which I haven't done in 20 or more years (& that wasn't exactly a raging success).

Some progress pics to follow.

Al
The Janssens models are absolutely great - I've never seen one that flew badly, and they fly in a good range of conditions too. One of my prized possesions is his original Macchi 202 prototype; it's a little battered now after 20+ years and ~5 owners, but still flies as good as new! I also have a Spit Mk24 fuselage tucked away in the loft too, though that may now get an electric powertrain in the end if I ever get round to building it.

Star, Hawk and Macchi over Cilan (4 min 11 sec)

Although not all of the plans are available from Traplet, quite a few are, including the P51...

Best of luck with your build!
Matt
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:21 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
I'm watching Al if you need a hand give me a shout
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 02, 2014, 09:01 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,425 Posts
Nice build. I've thought about building a lost foam model myself. Have not done much more than think about it so far.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jul 03, 2014, 06:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
772 Posts
Cheers.
Matt, I love that Macchi. A really nice looking model. I had seen pics but not the vid before. Looks like it flies really well.
I've got his Dewoitine 520 & P47 plans but as with most of his plans they are only around 1-1.2m & I really wanted something around the 1.5-2m mark & this one just sort of fit first go at 1.5m.

Steve, I appreciate the offer. Hopefully I won't need to take you up on it
I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to Manilla. I really miss my slope soaring.

A long day today so not much time on the P51.
I've realized the Oil cooler on this plan is a bit of a compromise due to the original building method but it doesn't really look right. It's too narrow at the rear & looks stuck on rather than blended into the Fus so I'll have to draw up a new one that looks more scale & cut it on the weekend.
I cut the wing section out of the Fus tonight but left the camera in the shed so no pics.
My cuts are getting neater & I think I'm starting to get a feel for temp & speed with the bow.

I bought the parts for an automatic cutting jig from the Nov 2008 RC Soaring Digest. My new bows are from the same article & are much nicer than my previous one so I'll knock this together & see how it goes..
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2008-11.pdf
Page 102 from memory.

The weekend will be cleaning the shed & clear the bench so I can cut the wing cores next week.
With a bit of luck I'll have the Jig made, new oil cooler cut/ glued on & start sanding it all to shape by Sunday night.
If I can get that done, I should have a Fiberglass Fus & wing core by next weekend.
Sounds good on paper.....

Al
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:08 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
772 Posts
Shed cleaner what it was (certainly not "clean"), Bench cleared & wing cutting arm finished.
Even had time to build some family brownie points.
Target achieved for a change.

I was planning for a quick fly tomorrow morning at the club & then home for more building but the wind is predicted 20kt so I might shoot down to Narrabeen to a little slope that faces West & throw something off.

If I can get the oilcooler sorted tomorrow I'll be happy as I can sand to shape through the week.
I should have my wing foam Tues or Wednesday so some fun to come next week.

Al
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
772 Posts
Less than 10 weeks to go.....

I managed to get some flying in this morning & just cut a new oil cooler tonight.
It's the same side profile as the original plan but full width so it'll sand to shape with the Fuselage & look a bit more realistic.

Lots of sanding & hopefully a wing core to come over the next week.

Al
Old Jul 06, 2014, 06:04 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
looking good Al
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:14 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
772 Posts
Cheers.
There's something strangely therapeutic about sanding a block of foam to shape......

40 minutes with a sheet of 80 & 240 grit & it's starting to look sort of like a Mustang.
I learned 2 things tonight.
1. It would be really easy to sand too much, screw it up & have to start again.
2. Having done this once now & knowing how best to tackle it, I think I could get the next one from beginning to this stage in around 4 hours, possibly less. If the rest of the build goes well I may not only finish this in time, but may get a 2nd done.

I'm still not entirely happy with the nose section, especially the duct under the spinner. I'll sleep on it & have another look tomorrow night.

I picked up some XPS foam today for the wings but no luck locally getting Formica for templates. I've got some 2mm ply here so may have to use that.

9 1/2 weeks & counting.....

Al
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:48 AM
United States, MA, East Longmeadow
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
Al, that looks great! keep up the good work!
piper28pc is offline Find More Posts by piper28pc
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:49 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2004
524 Posts
If you need some formica, just go to your local Bunnings and in the flooring section they have samples in I think 360mm*200mm sizes for a dollar or two. Lots of colours to choose from also....
oziflyer is offline Find More Posts by oziflyer
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:28 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,117 Posts
Very Nice...
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1