SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
Component Parts: Where to Buy?

I'm looking for a reasonably priced Electronics Vendor; preferably here in the US. There used to be a place in Tampa/St Pete I did regular business with when I was in the repair business; but no longer there.

DigiKey, Mouser, Newark no longer want to do business with small orders and shops; they kill you with service charges, and Jameco is flipping WORTHLESS anymore. The only stuff they have in stock is crap nobody wants and those retarded Velleman kits.

In particular, right now I'm looking for SI4564, SI4542, or IRF7389 SOIC-8 N-P FETs in 25-50 pc lots for modding ESCs.

mnem
More power.
mnemennth is offline Find More Posts by mnemennth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,223 Posts
I use Farnell in the UK, which is Element14 in the US I believe.

Very extensive stock range, low to high quantity prices.

In the UK free next day delivery if your order is over 20.

Absolute bargain.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,018 Posts
Yeah, Element 14 is MCM/Newark Electronics. They cost like 3x as much; I shopped them already. They don't even make my list of "REAL" suppliers anymore; even though, believe it or not, they still have my 10-year-old account active.

Maybe Farnell is better though; I should shop their site.

mnem
*still looking*
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
What service fees are you talking about for Digikey? I have never been charged a service fee of any kind there, just reasonable shipping, and I generally order in quantities of less than 10.
m056678 is offline Find More Posts by m056678
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,018 Posts
They charge a packing fee unless you're ordering more than $50; but they do offer USPS which kindof evens out. However, they are pretty expensive until you start buying in the 1000s.

We'll see; I actually have a China Vendor line on the OEM SSG4503 FETS that are on the ESCs; if I can get those reasonable, it may be more cost-effective to just stack FETs and double the current capacity rather than remove/replace with better parts. Sure will be EASIER to go that route.

mnem
I shall prevail. Even if it kills me.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:20 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
873 Posts
Be careful with the Chinese vendors. Sometimes they advertise a part as being the same when it isn't, it's a knockoff. I got some H-bridges a while back that were supposed to be Toshiba, but the leads on them were so small and thin that they were hard to bend over without breaking off. I had used a lot of the genuine parts and could tell the difference right away. And the knockoffs had no markings, either. That said, they seemed to work OK, but.....
dmccormick001 is online now Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,018 Posts
Yeah, I know... but the SSG4503 is a SECOS product, they're not exactly the name to pick if you're going to sell a knock-off; be like trying to sell a knock-off Yugo... LOL

Besides, the vendor says they "Don't Know" the manufacturer; so really NOT interested in doing business with them. They're either idiots, or selling reclaimed or salvage parts, or they bought a shipping container off a dock at auction and know nothing about electronic components at all. Any or all of the above are possible.

mnem
Who would claim to be that which was not?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:56 AM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
476 Posts
I've been buying from Digikey pretty regularly for the past 10 years or so. The fees are only like 8$, even if you buy a single smd resistor (we tried it at work just for fun!) Shipping is free on orders above $200

I'm in Canada and I always get my orders shipped next day when I place them before 4pm.
In fact, I once ordered solder paste, and their sales rep call to apologize as they could not ship that overnight, so they waived the shipping fees - and by some magic, the box appeared on my doorstep 2 days later...

Mouser is getting there as well, much better as they were only a few years ago. Try them and you won't be disappointed

Marc
Markz is online now Find More Posts by Markz
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
90 Posts
For small lots, contact the manufacuters directly. Many will have engineering samples you can get for free if you talk a good game.
Peacemakr40 is offline Find More Posts by Peacemakr40
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
For small lots, contact the manufacuters directly. Many will have engineering samples you can get for free if you talk a good game.
I'm fully aware of that angle; I used to do it for a living.

Trying to get 50 or 100 is harder; that's pushing it for engineering samples. And then, you want to be able to go back and get more when you need them, but don't want to feel obligated to talk to a sales rep who's trying to sell reel lots of 7500-10000 pieces.

Like it or not, DigiKey is probably going to be where I have to go; I guess I'll just have to pad the order with other stuff I need. I positively LOATHE spending money on fees; I much prefer to spend it on product.

mnem
*Cheap-arse dwagon*