HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2006
55 Posts
Discussion
Luobo V2S RC Autogyro..need advice please.

I have flown RC airplanes and helicopters for many years and now want to try the Autogyro. Specifically, I would like an entry level electric model using a 480 size outrunner.

I saw the Luobo V2S RC Autogyro on ebay at this link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Luobo-V2...06%26rk%3D1%26

Has anybody purchased this, built this, or can advise me if this is the right entry level atuogyro for a 480 motor.

Thanks,
Gregg
Gators is offline Find More Posts by Gators
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Hi Gregg
i have a model very much like this called a luobo 09 ( 900mm blade dia).They are good flyers.providing the balance and control throws are set up right. any decent 12-1300kv motor turning a 9x5 or 6 prop on a 3s lipo with an input of around 140watts should do.will probably need a 1500 lipo .i found with my model that by moving the u/c a bit closer to the nose it was easier to get the correct hang angle and improved the ground handling.

regards Stan
soarapod is offline Find More Posts by soarapod
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2006
55 Posts
Stan,

Thanks for the reply.

The vendor that sells the Luobo V2S(blade diam 800mm) also has a model called Luobo 10A with a blade diameter of 1000mm. This sounds similar to yours.

Which of these models (Luobo V2s or Luobo 10A) would you recomend for my first Autogyro.

Gregg
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Hi Gregg

yes the larger model you mention is a update of the one i have. I would say that being a bit larger its perhaps a bit better. mine has a 1100 kv motor turning a 9x6 prop and 30amp esc powered by a 2200 3s 20 lipo it also needs some decent metal gear servos to control the rotor might pay to use the same on the rudder as well.Of all the gyros i have had a go at and i,m no expert its the best flyer i,ve got. its very much like a bigger rotor shape and that was based on an even older design by jim baxter.So i would say that it would be a good starter but be sure to have enough hang angle when hung from the rotor spindle 16 degrees might be a good starting point ,set up the rotor control throws to give eight to ten degrees of tilt in roll and the same in pitch with plenty of expo especially in roll wit a bit less on pitch and the motor should have around five degrees of downthrust but no sidethrust .You might also consider the kits from aerobalsa a couple of them make ideal first gyros so i understand

Stan
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Hi Gregg

forgot to say the luobo 09 /10 is a tough model.I let mine get away from me and it crashed big time onto a shed roof .It looked a sorry state but i was able to repair it pretty much as good as new.only thing was buying new blades .but it,s fairly easy to make them anyway

stan
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:25 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2006
55 Posts
Stan,

Thanks for the setup advice.

I looked at the Aero Balsa and Flying Balsa web sites and they are out of the beginner profile type of AutoGyro that I am looking for.

There is a beginners forum so I should start reading that for more information.

Gregg
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:01 AM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
168 Posts
For the guys that are hesitant to make their own blades have a look at Luobos blades which he sells sepratley at a very good price. They come already coverd with a negative shim glued in place. I had a set on my RPG and there was no problem with spinup and lift.
Hope this is usefull information,
Martin
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators View Post
Stan,

Thanks for the setup advice.

I looked at the Aero Balsa and Flying Balsa web sites and they are out of the beginner profile type of AutoGyro that I am looking for.

There is a beginners forum so I should start reading that for more information.

Gregg
We have Scouts and Humpbacks ready to be boxed up and shipped. We just don't have any blades to put into the kits. As soon as our blade order comes in we'll be rolling again. The Doozy has been discontinued, at least for now. If we get more interest in the Doozy we can bring it back pretty quickly.
Mark
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2006
55 Posts
Well I finally purchased the Luobo V2s and set it up with a 16 drgree hang angle and +/-8 degree pitch and lateral movement.

Here is a link to my first flight.
Gregg's RC Gyrocopter Maiden Flight with a Crash (4 min 50 sec)

First and second hand lanches did not go well. The actual flight is about 3 minutes into the video. I made some slight adjustments to controls and move the battery back and was able to keep it airborne for about 30 seconds. I thought the model acted extremely nose heavy and was very fast. I was holding almost full aft elevator to keep it in the air.

Will have to order some new blades and do some repairs.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, East Grinstead
Joined Nov 2007
117 Posts
It's a tricky one if you are trying something new and nobody else flies autogyro's, but looking at that flight, the first thing I would suggest is maybe using the throttle. Once she is away, you shouldn't need more than 50% throttle to keep altitude. It looked like the throttle was on full, combined with a lack of back tilt..........she is going to shift !!

On the initial set up, the chap said "so this is down and up". There is no real down with autogyro's, height is controlled with throttle. If your head can tilt forwards past the zero datum line of the machine, it will tuck under and more than likely crash. I very rarely push too much forwards on my machines.

Now you have seen It in the air, the bug will take over.
Si_B is offline Find More Posts by Si_B
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Gators,
What a great bunch of flying buddies, for me it looked like a bit more rearward tilt is needed to slow it down a little.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
168 Posts
That logo on the T Shirt says it all : Build- Fly- Crash- Build- Fly- Crash until one day you go home with a whole gyro, and that is the day you cant wait to tell everybody of your success.
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,181 Posts
As they say BEEN THERE DONE THAT (GOT THE TEE SHIRT) That gos for mee to.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Hi Gregg

sorry that the maiden did,nt go as well .it did look to be flying quite fast. that would seem to say it needs more back tilt at neutral.As others have said you virtually never use down elevator but use a bit of up in the turns with a bit more throttle.at full foward tilt the rotor should be parallel with the fuselage/tail boom.the main thing is that you got it to fly, just needs to be trimmed to fly slower at around half throttle..how heavy is the model ready to fly with battery fitted?

Stan
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Gregg

have watched the videoa few more times.i think its more a case of too much hang angle than just back tilt. when you,ve repaied it try moving the battery rearwards say
a quarter of an inch at a time while test flying.probably would not hurt to trim the rotor back 2 or 3 degrees anyway