HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Discussion
GP Rimfire 300 Troubleshooting

I've just made the return to RC after being away for a couple of years. In my "old" box of gear was a Gp Rimfire 370 that had been involved in a crash and an unlabeled speed control that I had been using with it (castle creations probably). I built up a Mountain Models Skybuggy to fly with that gear, if it still worked. I plugged it all together on an Electron 6 servo with a brand new parkzone 3s lipo. The motor would spool up to just under half throttle without issue and then make some grinding noises and begin changing direction rapidly back and forth. I figured this seemed like a problem resulting from the old crash, maybe a damaged magnet or something, so I ordered a new Rimfire 300 to throw on the skybuggy.

The new motor won't even spool up normally... it revs up to a very low speed, briefly stops, and then starts again making a kind of a rhythmic sound. Writing this all out makes it seem pretty obvious but I just want to reaffirm my suspicion before I purchase anything. The problem is a bad ESC? If not, what else could it be?
White14c is offline Find More Posts by White14c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
I've just played with it some more, and the noise that the 300 is making is more like a playing cards in the spokes kind of sound. A sound like that would point to the motor, but what are the chances of a brand new one broken out of the box?
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:59 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
Take the bell off and see if you have a loose magnet?
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Hey thank you for the response. Before I came home and read this I dropped by the local hobby shop and picked up a new ESC. Problem solved! Hopefully that means the old motor is fine too.