HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Discussion
umx stryker upright boomerang techniques

ive seen almost everyone descibe the ways they get there new stryker to invert boomerang but the upright seems to be elusive. So in this thread between all us owners we should be able to perfect it. or at least get one or 2 people doing it lol

Ive tried everything i can think of and can get some impressive spins but not into the actual boomerang when rightside up.

So anyone managed to get it done yet? if so how if not lets figure it out.
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2008
205 Posts
subscribed
o2begrn is online now Find More Posts by o2begrn
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:07 AM
Joined May 2006
178 Posts
I won't be working on these for a while. Not until the fuse is available separately.

David's Stryker go boom.
David McAfee is offline Find More Posts by David McAfee
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:21 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Straight from the horse's mouth:

(well, Dave from HH)

Low-rate elevator, high-rate aileron
Enter a normal spin, full up, full aileron & rudder same direction;
Next, Rapidly reverse the aileron & elevator to full down & opposite aileron. This has to be timed properly with a flipping motion you'll see in the snap.
Last, smoothly reverse the rudder to full opposite (aileron & rudder are now both opposite the way you started) and she'll wind up into an upright boomerang.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:03 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Here is from User "Lambers"

Second here is how I do the boomarang spin, took some practice to get a procedure down but it seems to work every time when I do it like this.

1. Pull up into a stall
2. Full left rudder throttle closed (Left stick bottom left)
3. 1 Sec later full down elv full right ail (Right stick top right)

That's it, that gets it into a real fast upright flat spin. The thing that got me to do it every time is to wait just a second or two after the left rudder throttle cut before adding the elevator and aileron input.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
I tried the HH method this morning. All I could produce was a twitchy wounded duck sort of thing.

I'll try the "Lambers" method tomorrow.

After many many tries with the HH method, I couldn't even do the inverted spin for several attempts
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Lambers methid takes you into an inverted boomerang. It flips the plane as soon as aileron is added but is a different wayto get into the inverted version. Ive plAyed with daves way and also just get a retarded looking down spin lol. Must be a timing issue
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
The "lambers"method is the way to go, works every time!
The key is the delaying of the down elevator! When it's established, I reversed the ailerons in the direction of the rudder (like in the inverted boomerang) but that makes a hardly noticeable difference...

Don't pull out too low, it'll break your nose! (Ask me how i found that out ;-)

My son and I installed the SFSolutions leds, just awesome!!! We went "to the dark side" tonight, and it was great fun! (except the nose job, but then again that was a 1 minute CA fix...;-)
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:07 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
If anyone could post a video ( that can pull off the move ) that would really help....
leafs04 is offline Find More Posts by leafs04
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs04 View Post
If anyone could post a video ( that can pull off the move ) that would really help....
Lambers posted a video on the other q thread. Very cool, very helpful.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined Jul 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
The "lambers"method is the way to go, works every time!
Yes it works.
Quote:
Don't pull out too low, it'll break your nose! (Ask me how i found that out ;-)
I land with the bumerang and no damage
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:04 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Well, I can confirm that Dave's method works as well...

I tried Lamber's but always ended up inverted, so my timing must be wrong.

Flew 5 batteries, doing almost only upright and inverted spin (or screwed up upright that ended up in inverted spins).

The best comment from a bystander: " That's a great airplane, as soon as you loose signal, it spin down by itself" He was thinking it was a feature that would save the plane if you let go the control and it would slowly come down spinning! I quickly showed him what happen if you don't touch the control... It's amazing how fast the Stryker go down in a staight dive!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Yes it works.

I land with the bumerang and no damage
Are you sure you're doing the boomerang and not a simple upright spin? Tonight, I found out that when you go into an upright boomerang, the spinning speed keep increasing (while in inverted boomerang, you quickly get a high speed, but it doesn't seem to go any faster after a while). I could not see myself landing in an upright boomerang as it spin so fast, it would rip the wings. Maybe you do something to stop or slow down the spin just before you hit the ground?

P.S.: Not questionning your skill, I know you're a great pilot! But wow, does this thing spin. Just thinking about it, maybe you simply don't start as high as me.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
hmm my timing must be off as well. i will give it a try again tonite but so far my attempts have ended inverted. maybe someone can do a side by side video of there controller and the plane to help people out with this move. Im not really great with videos otherwise id give it a shot.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:24 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
hmm my timing must be off as well. i will give it a try again tonite but so far my attempts have ended inverted. maybe someone can do a side by side video of there controller and the plane to help people out with this move. Im not really great with videos otherwise id give it a shot.
I still end up inverted often, no matter what... Lamber's method would seem better (less funky timing), but no go for me.

BTW, with Dave's method, I do it differently....

Enter a normal spin, full up, full aileron & rudder same direction; (it's spinning very slowly with the nose down)
Next, Rapidly (I do it slowly so I see what's happening and somehow control it that way. Only problem is I'm loosing altitude while I'm doing it ) reverse the aileron & elevator to full down & opposite aileron. This has to be timed properly with a flipping motion you'll see in the snap. (Again, I do it slow, but I've done it that way, but wow, is it random! That snap has to be timed perfectly) After this step, you're in a upright spin... It's fast, but it's not a boomerang yet
Last, smoothly (doesn't matter if I do it fast or slow myself!?!?... Once the upright spin is started, going into boomerang seem easy) reverse the rudder to full opposite (aileron & rudder are now both opposite the way you started) and she'll wind up into an upright boomerang.