HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2008
111 Posts
Discussion
Deans Ultra Specs?

I just soldered deans ultra plugs to my Turnigy Flightmax 5000 mah 22.2v (6s) 40c li-po. I'm a little nervous. I know lots of people have used deans ultra plugs on their trex 600's, but I'm just not sure. Any sucess stories? Any melted plugs?
watchingcarpet is offline Find More Posts by watchingcarpet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:15 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
The only reason you should be nervous is if you failed to use proper soldering techniques or wired them in reverse polarity. Tons of info about this subject has already been posted- just do a quick search to reveal it. In short, the Deans Ultra is easily capable and then some for your application.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Apr 09, 2010, 04:14 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
I'm tempted to make my own tutorial video on the subject, but this HF thread is a good start:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=23207
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2007
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchingcarpet View Post
I just soldered deans ultra plugs to my Turnigy Flightmax 5000 mah 22.2v (6s) 40c li-po. I'm a little nervous. I know lots of people have used deans ultra plugs on their trex 600's, but I'm just not sure. Any sucess stories? Any melted plugs?
The connector is the least of your worries -- using insufficient wiring to/from the pack and ESC as well as bad solder joints are whats going to get you (if anything)

Besides, as was mentioned deans ultra can handle way more than what you need them for.
johnm1019 is offline Find More Posts by johnm1019
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:57 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
The only reason you should be nervous is if you failed to use proper soldering techniques
Check
Quote:
or wired them in reverse polarity.
Done that too.

sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:53 AM
Heli Addict at Large
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined Feb 2009
138 Posts
From what I know the Deans Ultras are rated to 70amps but your bird is rated to 100amps. It will do the job but I can't stand behind whether it's the best option. I'd recommend bullet plugs of at least 5mm.
RCSavager is offline Find More Posts by RCSavager
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:53 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
5mm is excessive. 4mm bullets would be more than enough as are Deans Ultras, assuming you have opposable thumbs and can solder.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:27 AM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
I used Deans and I switched to EC5s. I also fly 10s machines
laughingstill is offline Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:31 AM
Heli Addict at Large
Joined Feb 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
5mm is excessive. 4mm bullets would be more than enough as are Deans Ultras, assuming you have opposable thumbs and can solder.
Features
  • 10 Pairs 4mm Gold Plated Bullet Connector
  • For serious enthusiast
  • High performance, up to 70 Amps
    24K goldplated, very low resistance
  • Gold Coated Motor Connector Set
  • male connectors
  • female connectors
  • Size: 4mm
-----------------------------

Deans Ultra Plugs with Shrink Wrap. Rated up to 50amps.

----------------------------------------

EC5 Connector These are polarized 5mm bullet connectors. Soon to be the new standard. Rated at over 120amps with 10 gauge wire. Sold in sets for $6.50

-------------------------------------
*Taken from http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbullet.html
Specs
Wire Gauge
4.0mm: 16-13ga
5.5mm: 13-10ga
6.5mm: 13-8ga

Max Amps
4.0mm: 75 amps
5.5mm: 150 amps
6.5mm: 200 amps
----------------------------

I don't think my suggestion was excessive at all. A 600 stock bird can run 100 amps so my recommendation for a 5mm bullet plug seems to be spot on. Maybe I'm misreading the specs for them or something but it sure doesn't seem the case.

Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:16 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
In the real world, most flying a 600-sized bird is not going to run it from a 6s setup. A T-Rex 600 is designed for stick-banging. Typical setups I've seen range from 8s to 10s and draw fewer amps than 6s making 4mm bullets that have a real-world amp rating of over 100A are easily enough.

50A for Deans is laughably conservative and sounds like flawed rhetoric to sell a competing product. They will easily do twice that without a problem. Anything that uses up to 12 gauge wire can be safely used with them. Where you run into problems is with cold solder joints, which that could be a problem for any connector.

Castle's chart that says 4mm bullets can only handle up to 70A- also very conservative. Doing a google search for 4mm bullet connectors yields ratings from as low as 40A up to 200A, but the mean rating I found and what is probably a safe limit is 100A. Nothing wrong with a little overkill and I typically prefer it. I would like to know where Castle gets their numbers.

EC5's look like they are a good connector for 600-sized birds though- easier to solder vs. Deans, handles high amp loads, and they are polarized.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:35 PM
Heli Addict at Large
Joined Feb 2009
138 Posts
I can completely agree with all that for sure. I'd think that anything from 4-6mm would cover just about any application for a 600 bird. I personally run 12S on my 600ESP and use Deans for the batteries. Anything "can" go higher and all I just simply tried to cover my own butt by suggesting something I "knew" could work with anything he had. In the end, we both gave good advice and informative comments so we all win.

Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:23 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jun 2007
243 Posts
I don't see the need for a 100 amp limit. I ran my Raptor with 600mm blades on 6 cells for a little while and it averages a little over 30amps (with a fairly low headspeed). All the ratings you are seeing are for continuous amps. Burst can go higher. I don't think you would get a continuous draw over 50amps even with a high headspeed. I tried to switch to different connectors recently (from Deans) and the prospect of switching all my charging equipment, batteries, and esc's to new connectors didn't appeal to me. Deans have never let me down yet.

Genuine Deans that is. I have had the knock off's cut out on me for a second. That is a bit scary!

Whatever you go with though, pick something and stick with it just to save having lots of adapters around.

Cheers
Kawasaki297 is offline Find More Posts by Kawasaki297
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:39 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Good point on the genuine Deans- watch out for and avoid them. The largest I fly is a 550 on 6s that hits peaks of about 75 amps and Deans have also never let me down. It has taken me a while to develop good technique, but if done right they have really nice qualities/specs.

RCSavager- agreed... that's the collective power of this forum at work. We can discuss different viewpoints from our unique perspective and all gain from it.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Good point on the genuine Deans- watch out for and avoid them. The largest I fly is a 550 on 6s that hits peaks of about 75 amps and Deans have also never let me down. It has taken me a while to develop good technique, but if done right they have really nice qualities/specs.

RCSavager- agreed... that's the collective power of this forum at work. We can discuss different viewpoints from our unique perspective and all gain from it.
Gadget, at the end of the flight, are the Deans warm? If they are, they are not handling the loads and resistance is increasing. That means voltage losses and possible failures over time..........Ron
laughingstill is offline Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingstill View Post
Gadget, at the end of the flight, are the Deans warm? If they are, they are not handling the loads and resistance is increasing. That means voltage losses and possible failures over time..........Ron
I'll do a before/after measurement with the infared thermometer next time I fly my Swift. I seriously doubt I'll find much difference though. They are supposed to flow electrons as well as a section of 12 gauge wire according to their website and if properly soldered, I agree. If my packs or ESC had 10 gauge wire, I might consider switching to something more substantial.