SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Heh, my comment about the top & bottom of the plastic case....Geometry..ummm.

I put a couple washers (1.4mm) under the arm on the Tarot tail to start, and it worked! I ended up with 6 0.25mm shims, and there is no binding whatsoever. I hope this helps someone else. Thanks again.
Take a close look at these two sliders and you'll see why you had problems.





The upper one is the Pro slider, they removed the raised bit where the ball screws in in order to move the ball in closer to the center of the slider and reduce slop. If you use a Pro bellcrank and an ESP slider the plastic cup rubs the slider and causes resistance. You can shim it like you did or you can put the cup in upside down and ream the hole at the small end of the cup slightly to allow the ball to move freely (it will restrict the neck of the link ball otherwise) Best way to do this is try it ream a little, try again, until you have it free, then glue it in. If you do this the link ball must be screwed in from underneath the arm though the cup. Personally I think your method is better as it leaves the possibility of upgrading to the pro slider and grips later on.

If you use a Pro slider and Pro tailgrips together on an ESP belt tailbox you need to use the plastic links from an ESP slider or they can lock. Just using the slider alone or the grips alone can't lock but because the Pro links are slightly shorter and the Pro tailgrips have slightly shorter arms they can lock up when used together.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 11, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Just fly
evltoy's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Atomic Skull - good pick!

This could be the issue I have with my 550 too. Funny thought that I dont have this problem on my 500fbl that I'm currently building and I have the same bell crank on both helis.

On my 500fb have the Align Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm Set H60186 (no cup) which has no binding on either plastic or metal tail case.

On my 500fbl & 550fb I have the Align Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm Set H60186A (with cup) which has binding in the centre only o the 550.
This now all makes sense why with the plastic kit arms have no bindings as it doesnt have the cups
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Last edited by evltoy; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
Just fly
evltoy's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Sorry guys. nothign to do with helis but I need to show you all this.

Meet Porter. The World's First Driving Dog. (1 min 48 sec)
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Pretty kool. My dog has yet to learn his name let alone drive a mini.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Just fly
evltoy's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Atomic Skull - good pick!

This could be the issue I have with my 550 too. Funny thought that I dont have this problem on my 500fbl that I'm currently building and I have the same bell crank on both helis.

On my 500fb have the Align Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm Set H60186 (no cup) which has no binding on either plastic or metal tail case.

On my 500fbl & 550fb I have the Align Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm Set H60186A (with cup) which has binding in the centre only o the 550.
This now all makes sense why with the plastic kit arms have no bindings as it doesnt have the cups
I had some play time last night so I had to check out what we were talking about.

First I had a look at the 500fbl that had the cup style bell crack (Align metal control arm) and found that I had 2 shims in place between the bearing and the tail case mount.

Then I checked the 550 and found I only had 1 shim in place. I added the copper shim that came with the hk kit and immediately the binding had disappeared. The whole setup is smooth as butter now.

Thanks guys for the ideas & help solving the issue.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Take a close look at these two sliders and you'll see why you had problems.
Thanks a bunch Atomic! I'll order a couple more of the correct sliders. I wish it would have been more clear when I ordered in the first place.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Thats a good idea, but i wanna take it out tomorrow to test it and it would be easier to change blades at the field. Have you ever seen dampers 'go bad'? And would that cause the huge gap?
Let us know what the problem ultimately was. I'm kind of interested.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
It's great to have people evaluating new packs - but the trouble is you need to have a lot of cycles thru them before you can say if they're worth the money.
There is one thing I didn't mention with the lot of Blue Lipos.. All packs have failed by having one cell bad. That cell was always the sixth one (according to my tester) and mounted against the frame.

I had somewhat asked around at the field, but no one has had this problem. Is there someone here that has wrecked a cell that was closest to the velcro & frame? I am wondering if it is chance, or shtty batteries.

Edit: Checking 'lipo vibration battery failure' doesn't come up with much.
The cell contacting the battery tray would have the most contact vibration I suppose. If you strapped the pack tightly down to the tray, maybe that would have more effect on the plates & structure of the cell. Who knows? I'll treat my new packs the same way I guess
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Dec 13, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I'm pretty committed with the packs, new connectors installed. Hmm, wish me well. Or not ill at least. Fast shipping!

Still need to put the TT on the blue heli, the vibration on the red tail (500 #2) is a bitch still. Edit, excuse the right pointing nose on 500 #1, the left grommet was off Agh. Anyway. carry on. I wish I had a different cheaper cooler funner less work hobby sometimes.

Oh, who am I kidding, I just need to get more focused.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I'm pretty committed with the packs, new connectors installed. Hmm, wish me well. Or not ill at least. Fast shipping!

Still need to put the TT on the blue heli, the vibration on the red tail (500 #2) is a bitch still. Edit, excuse the right pointing nose on 500 #1, the left grommet was off Agh. Anyway. carry on. I wish I had a different cheaper cooler funner less work hobby sometimes.

Oh, who am I kidding, I just need to get more focused.
Nooooo...your absolutely rite. . This hobby is a lot of work and a constant money siphon. I have 4 helis, and it all ways seems to be a constant upkeep. Its rare that I have all four flying perfect. I imagine it to be like taking on a new wife with a bunch of kids. Lol. ..And yet we continue, something to do I suppose.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
There is one thing I didn't mention with the lot of Blue Lipos.. All packs have failed by having one cell bad. That cell was always the sixth one (according to my tester) and mounted against the frame.

I had somewhat asked around at the field, but no one has had this problem. Is there someone here that has wrecked a cell that was closest to the velcro & frame? I am wondering if it is chance, or shtty batteries.

Edit: Checking 'lipo vibration battery failure' doesn't come up with much.
The cell contacting the battery tray would have the most contact vibration I suppose. If you strapped the pack tightly down to the tray, maybe that would have more effect on the plates & structure of the cell. Who knows? I'll treat my new packs the same way I guess
Sounds like you might be able to salvage some 5s packs from the dead 6s ones, then. how many cycles did you get before they failed?
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Just fly
evltoy's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
I dont know.... All 10 Blue lipo’s have the same cell (6) fail. What are the odds of that happening? I understand the cells can fail, but all ten packs with only cell number 6!

To me I feel like something else may be causing or encouraging the problem.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,200 Posts
Had a tail boom break due to apparent metal fatigue today. Was doing repeated piro stops and noticed the tail rotor was at a 30 degree angle so I landed immediately and saw that it had cracked where the clamp holds the boom and was bent at a 15 degree angle. Didn't hit anything with the tail it just cracked in midair. If it had been a TT I'm pretty sure it would have crashed.

EDIT: I think it was the 10mm screws I was using to hold the boom supports, they had dug pits into the boom and it cracked right at this point. Going to switch back to 8mm screws. Also the tail belt is perfectly fine.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
I dont know.... All 10 Blue lipo’s have the same cell (6) fail. What are the odds of that happening? I understand the cells can fail, but all ten packs with only cell number 6!

To me I feel like something else may be causing or encouraging the problem.
Well, I only got about 40-50 cycles out of them. Never pulled more than 45-50 peak amps, more like 30 average, and always landed at 3.75 to 3.8V cell. I always checked the batts after each flight, and after 30 cycles or so, cell #6 would be 3.7V then after a few more flights, 3.6V. I'd fly them until #6 was 3.4V and saw a decrease in overall power for the whole flight. The bottom cell would be noticeably hot & puffed. I mean $30 was a steal at the time, but you get what you pay for I guess.

Maybe the mfr installed a bad cell in each pack and somehow they got to the U.S. No idea.

I've used a lot of Turnigy Blue 3S and 4S and never had a cell go bad like that. Generally all the cells degrade at the same time.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,243 Posts
Temperature can do that. Is your speedcontrol under your battery tray and getting too hot?
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got some Fan Fold what to build thread part II started by emoone!!! Don Sims Foamies (Kits) 188 Jan 23, 2010 08:28 PM
Mountain Models Tantrum Partial Build Thread.. Tram Parkflyers 142 Apr 03, 2004 10:41 PM
My Bobolink Build Thread (very Colibri like) Jim Poor Hand Launch 65 Dec 10, 2003 04:48 PM
Laird Super Solution Build Thread! boomerace Parkflyers 178 Oct 29, 2003 07:20 PM
Switchback re-build thread (or What the $#*& was that!) Biggles604 Parkflyers 17 Jun 23, 2003 09:34 PM