HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,855 Posts
Ken is gonna spank me when I send my 3625 in next month for new bearings and a checkup... Front Bearings complaining from all the tumble stress.... Got a wobble up front now two, may be a bent prop hub from the beans and corn strikes this year...
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
so you just bought the 70" airframe?, what is your exact set-up going to be on the 70" slick?
Motrofly 5320 swinging a 19x8 prop with Castle 100 and Castle BEC Pro on 8s 4000's.

I found a guy out in Colorado that had a Fantasy Blue Slick that he was looking to sale and he was willing to ship it via Greyhound. Come to find out that the guy is friends with Scott Stoops and Scott actually built the plane! So hopefully it's got some good mojo on it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,379 Posts
probably fly all by itself, Scott is a great guy, even signed his book for me.

what servos are you running in the slick?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
probably fly all by itself, Scott is a great guy, even signed his book for me.

what servos are you running in the slick?
For now the ones that are in there - HS-985's. I'll likely upgrade those at some point.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I've got a 70" Slick coming. I'll have all my gear for it arriving by the end of the day on Thursday. So I expect to have it up in the air in a week or so.

I'm very curious to see how I like it compared to my 57" Extra. I love my 51" Slick but I've found more enjoyment with my 57" Extra lately. I hardly ever fly my 42" Slick or my 48" Edge anymore and my 48" EPP Yak is just plain boring these days.

I'll never get rid of the 48" Edge or the 51" Slick but I may sell off the 48" EPP Yak eventually.
You'll love the 71 slick. So smooth. I sold and replaced it with a 74" Edge. But if/when the 74 needs to be replaced, I'll probably get another 71 Slick.

KE spins: I'm having issues with it on the 57. My 48" exp Edge was much easier to lock in a KE spin.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:07 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
You'll love the 71 slick. So smooth. I sold and replaced it with a 74" Edge. But if/when the 74 needs to be replaced, I'll probably get another 71 Slick.

KE spins: I'm having issues with it on the 57. My 48" exp Edge was much easier to lock in a KE spin.
I find that you have to fiddle with your aileron inputs to get a good KE spin on the Extra.

If you're entering via an upline stall turn then you will likely need a fair amount of left aileron (assuming your stall turning to the left and then giving full right rudder to enter the spin) to get it started and then you will likely have to dial it back to the 11 o'clock position to hold the spin.

If you're entering from a tumble it's all about timing. I find that when entering from a tumble that if I catch it at the right time I hardly needs any aileron input. If you enter too early or too late then you'll have to get your aileron input right to help coax it into position. The Extra is pretty finicky on aileron position in KE spins though... If you move an hair too far on aileron inputs you'll go into a flat spin.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Just got my Extra yesterday. First balsa plane ive ever had and i got some blue threadlocker on the canopy what do i use to get the stuff off?? does the monocote cleaner from tower work?
jeremyld97 is offline Find More Posts by jeremyld97
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyld97 View Post
Just got my Extra yesterday. First balsa plane ive ever had and i got some blue threadlocker on the canopy what do i use to get the stuff off?? does the monocote cleaner from tower work?
Windex won't damage anything....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
If windex won't take it off car wax should. Most car waxes are cleaner wax. So it cleans and protects. I wax my planes every now and then too keep them shiny and clean.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
104 ill give it a try. My wing spar was bowed a little when i got it. Figured I could work it into one of the wings and just leave it there when I took the wings off but i broke the tube inside the wing loose tryin to do it I hope 3dhs will replace it.
jeremyld97 is offline Find More Posts by jeremyld97
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:25 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
785 Posts
Maidened Yesterday

Well after nearly a year and a half I finally got the 57 finished and maidened yesterday. It was 35 degrees but barely any wind with gray skies.

All the reading is definitely true. What a sweet sweet plane. I came from flying a 47 SHP for the last couple years. I had some flights on the 72 Extra (Gasser) as well.

I love this plane. It is so smooth yet can kick it when you want. I can't believe how much time you have to think/react compared to the 47 SHP. I knew it would be smoother, but I didn't know just how much.

Hovers and harriers are so much easier along with just about everything else. The motrolfly 3620 has great vertical on a 15x6 APC. I may try the 15x7 since watt testing showed another 100 watts. I am nowhere near the 100 amps for my ICE. I am pulling 67 on the 15x6 and 74 on the 15x7 (on 4S). I'm not a high speed guy so I'm not sure I need the 15x7 but will try it.

Now - the down side - plane is great, but I absolutely hate my HS5245 servos. They will not center worth a crap. They constantly change center position and you are always redefining center on the sticks because it changes. All 4 surfaces are doing it and I can see it on the bench. The hinges are all smooth (no binding), the linkages are not binding either. It really wrecks what is a great plane. One time the plane goes straight then you use elevator or ailerons and it will climb or start rolling when you come back to neutral. Makes KE different every time as well. Just a pain. Unfortunately I bought another set of these for my 58 which will get built over the winter.

I will look into other servos that are worthy of this plane. I have never had a plane do this before. HS65s, HS985s, HS85s, DS821s, etc.. that I have tried on other planes have never done this. It really stinks.

Great plane , needs better servos

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Well after nearly a year and a half I finally got the 57 finished and maidened yesterday. It was 35 degrees but barely any wind with gray skies.

All the reading is definitely true. What a sweet sweet plane. I came from flying a 47 SHP for the last couple years. I had some flights on the 72 Extra (Gasser) as well.

I love this plane. It is so smooth yet can kick it when you want. I can't believe how much time you have to think/react compared to the 47 SHP. I knew it would be smoother, but I didn't know just how much.

Hovers and harriers are so much easier along with just about everything else. The motrolfly 3620 has great vertical on a 15x6 APC. I may try the 15x7 since watt testing showed another 100 watts. I am nowhere near the 100 amps for my ICE. I am pulling 67 on the 15x6 and 74 on the 15x7 (on 4S). I'm not a high speed guy so I'm not sure I need the 15x7 but will try it.

Now - the down side - plane is great, but I absolutely hate my HS5245 servos. They will not center worth a crap. They constantly change center position and you are always redefining center on the sticks because it changes. All 4 surfaces are doing it and I can see it on the bench. The hinges are all smooth (no binding), the linkages are not binding either. It really wrecks what is a great plane. One time the plane goes straight then you use elevator or ailerons and it will climb or start rolling when you come back to neutral. Makes KE different every time as well. Just a pain. Unfortunately I bought another set of these for my 58 which will get built over the winter.

I will look into other servos that are worthy of this plane. I have never had a plane do this before. HS65s, HS985s, HS85s, DS821s, etc.. that I have tried on other planes have never done this. It really stinks.

Great plane , needs better servos

Mike

Glad you like the plane.....too bad about the servos.... Though they are fairly expensive, quite a few people seem to like the HS-7245MH servos..

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Well after nearly a year and a half I finally got the 57 finished and maidened yesterday. It was 35 degrees but barely any wind with gray skies.

All the reading is definitely true. What a sweet sweet plane. I came from flying a 47 SHP for the last couple years. I had some flights on the 72 Extra (Gasser) as well.

I love this plane. It is so smooth yet can kick it when you want. I can't believe how much time you have to think/react compared to the 47 SHP. I knew it would be smoother, but I didn't know just how much.

Hovers and harriers are so much easier along with just about everything else. The motrolfly 3620 has great vertical on a 15x6 APC. I may try the 15x7 since watt testing showed another 100 watts. I am nowhere near the 100 amps for my ICE. I am pulling 67 on the 15x6 and 74 on the 15x7 (on 4S). I'm not a high speed guy so I'm not sure I need the 15x7 but will try it.

Now - the down side - plane is great, but I absolutely hate my HS5245 servos. They will not center worth a crap. They constantly change center position and you are always redefining center on the sticks because it changes. All 4 surfaces are doing it and I can see it on the bench. The hinges are all smooth (no binding), the linkages are not binding either. It really wrecks what is a great plane. One time the plane goes straight then you use elevator or ailerons and it will climb or start rolling when you come back to neutral. Makes KE different every time as well. Just a pain. Unfortunately I bought another set of these for my 58 which will get built over the winter.

I will look into other servos that are worthy of this plane. I have never had a plane do this before. HS65s, HS985s, HS85s, DS821s, etc.. that I have tried on other planes have never done this. It really stinks.

Great plane , needs better servos

Mike

have you tried checking deadband??
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Awesome! Glad you are enjoying the plane. It's sweet indeed!

As for the servos... My 5245's are wonderful! No centering issues at all. That's odd that you are experiencing centering issues on all of them though. Makes me wonder if perhaps there's another root cause besides the servos.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:24 PM
On loan to Texas
Ohio AV8TOR's Avatar
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Well after nearly a year and a half I finally got the 57 finished and maidened yesterday. It was 35 degrees but barely any wind with gray skies.

All the reading is definitely true. What a sweet sweet plane. I came from flying a 47 SHP for the last couple years. I had some flights on the 72 Extra (Gasser) as well.

I love this plane. It is so smooth yet can kick it when you want. I can't believe how much time you have to think/react compared to the 47 SHP. I knew it would be smoother, but I didn't know just how much.

Hovers and harriers are so much easier along with just about everything else. The motrolfly 3620 has great vertical on a 15x6 APC. I may try the 15x7 since watt testing showed another 100 watts. I am nowhere near the 100 amps for my ICE. I am pulling 67 on the 15x6 and 74 on the 15x7 (on 4S). I'm not a high speed guy so I'm not sure I need the 15x7 but will try it.
Mike so glad to hear and I know your comments will apply for me too as we have talked a lot on the 47" SHP and your observations match mine. I have been talking with Joe about this plane and it is no secret that this is his favorite if you had to have one plane. I am still having fun with my 47" SHP but it is not at all like my 87" SHP, maybe this will be a better match for it. I like how you comment on how much time you have to think/react compared to the 47". That is what I absolutely love about the 87". Sorry to hear about your servos and hope you get it worked out.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3D Hobby Shop 47" Edge 540 #BUILD VIDEOS ADDED# ipsmotors 3D Flying 3960 Nov 23, 2013 07:39 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop 57" Sukhoi sukhoi26mx Electric Plane Talk 7 Sep 17, 2008 08:33 AM
Sold NIB 3D Hobby Shop SHP Extra 300 *Blue* Version 2 thomer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 May 04, 2008 01:31 PM
Build Log 3D Hobby Shop 55" Katana LIVE Build Log Jeremy Sebens 3D Flying 54 Oct 12, 2007 03:39 PM