Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:39 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Question
Offset hinges

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2019030&page=6
Gear doors H XVIIIb (0 min 34 sec)

Hi guys,I need a bit of advice about using offset hinges.The gear doors in the video are temporarily hinged with tape,but I was hoping to find a more realistic method.I got hold of some offset canopy hinges,but as can be seen in the photo's they're not really up to the job.I need the doors to open beyond 90* so they are well clear of the ground in case of an unlevel landing.
As you can hopefully see I've had to bevel the insides to get these to work at all(3mm material)and there is still a slight gap to allow them to move.
Any advice/ links to a better style hinge greatly appreciated.Or should I just stay with the tape
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Last edited by Stupot46; Jul 18, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:55 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts
Carve a new hinge 'hoop' from ply.
Those plastic ones seem poorly designed, with not enough clearance allowance. in the 'u'
Blenderm tape IS easy.. but not massively precise in fit.. being stretchy/rubbery is a mixed blessing where a large part needs secure/precise alignment.. however it also makes the hinge surprisingly Durable with a bit of useful inbuilt tolerance.
Needs to be inboard/hidden tho, as painting it doesn't hide it's presence very much at all.
I'd try the tape First, then at the paint/ finish stage check on how it's help up/ met expectations.. then decide ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:36 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,176 Posts
On my current build I have used the ordinary pinned nylon hinge for the bomb bay doors. They would allow a full 180 deg swing if required.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Carve a new hinge 'hoop' from ply.
Those plastic ones seem poorly designed, with not enough clearance allowance. in the 'u'
Blenderm tape IS easy.. but not massively precise in fit.. being stretchy/rubbery is a mixed blessing where a large part needs secure/precise alignment.. however it also makes the hinge surprisingly Durable with a bit of useful inbuilt tolerance.
Needs to be inboard/hidden tho, as painting it doesn't hide it's presence very much at all.
I'd try the tape First, then at the paint/ finish stage check on how it's help up/ met expectations.. then decide ?
Hi Bare,yeah,I've more or less resigned myself to the taped hinges.I have looked at making my own U section,but with a minimum of 16 hinges I don't fancy taking that on.
I'm must admit I'm surprised there isn't a suitable hinge available off the shelf,but if there is I can't find it.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:26 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,769 Posts
Design the hinge and have them 3D printed. The hard part is designing the hinge. The printer works on its own while you do other things. If you can't find someone with a printer, Shapeways will print them for you. Or, I'll work with you to print some.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Jul 19, 2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
I just spent most of my afternoon trawling the interwebby looking for a suitable hinge
When I first mooted this idea a year or so ago p901p901 suggested these-
http://www.espritmodel.com/offset-ge...rge-350-2.aspx
Which I think are what I'm looking for,but much too big.I found similar hinges in plastic used on ARF planes,but no link to a manufacturer.
As eflight suggests I could make the pinned hinge work by recessing them,but was hoping to come up with something more 'scale'looking
nfhill,that is a very generous offer!Unfortunately I only have an iPad so computer design is not a possibility.
Best I could do is to modify a couple of these with longer 'U' arms to see if they work then send you a drawing with dimensions.Ill see what I can come up with.
Stuart.
Last edited by Stupot46; Jul 19, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:20 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts

Those photo'd metal hinges bear a striking resemblance to the Hinges on My old Jaguar XK120... albeit in full open hand size version.
Featuring a quite long curved piece (must be a name for it, but it escapes at the mo') it allowed the very thick doors to open well beyond90' . Also allowing significant body damage (ali skins) if the check strap failed or fell off .

Again; the tape is a Good hinge but it needs be inside rather than external.
Perhaps carve only 8 hinges ? .. 2 per side ? (Clamp /glue some 'real aircraft ply' blanks together and drill/grind them to shape as a single block?)
Thereby giving full mechanical precision to the Blenderm tape hinge strip?
Best of both possibly.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Jul 19, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:33 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,176 Posts
Is see from these pictures the wheel doors open right up --

http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/18b/18b.htm
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-214-image.jpg

This is the drawing Brian worked from.The hand writing matches that on other Horten drawings,so I believe it to be genuine.That looks as though it is based on Luft46 artwork.
(Just an aside,but it appears Luft46 is not being updated at all.I sent that drawing in a while ago,no response.)

Back to the hinges.Ive decided for now to go with a Kavan loose pin hinge,probably 5per side.Im getting too bogged down in one small detail when I have a lot of other elements to prepare before I can even build the centre section.I can always look at this again when the wing is complete and flown.
Thanks for the advice and offers of help.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
you can't find someone with a printer, Shapeways will print them for you. Or, I'll work with you to print some.
nowledgebos is offline Find More Posts by nowledgebos
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowledgebos View Post
you can't find someone with a printer, Shapeways will print them for you. Or, I'll work with you to print some.
Thanks for the offer,very kind of you.As I said above they're on the back burner for now.