HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gray, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:21 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJim View Post
Hi,
I'm new to aerial photography and RC flying but acquired a Blade 350 QX and a GoPro Hero 3+ back in August. I don't have a camera gimbal so have been grabbing video frames as stills for the most part. The video itself is too wobbly to use but maybe Hyperlapse software will make a difference.
Anyway, here are some pictures I have taken over the past few weeks. Mostly taken using GoPro narrow field of view and cropped, corrected and tweaked in Photoshoppe

I hope you like.

Tim
Excellent images Tim, welcome to RCG. taken at
Richmond Park?

Cheers for posting.

Gray.
Gray is online now Find More Posts by Gray
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:23 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoswava View Post
Just a quick shot this morning of the sunrise. Clouds were awesome.
That is an awesome picture

Gray.
Gray is online now Find More Posts by Gray
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:07 PM
Learner pilot, keen APer!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
Excellent images Tim, welcome to RCG. taken at
Richmond Park?

Cheers for posting.

Gray.
Thanks, Gray.
Yes Richmond Park and Wormwood Scrubs. Both have areas set aside for RC flying, hence my growing collection of images there!
Tim
TimJim is offline Find More Posts by TimJim
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:31 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Grab one of these TimJim. They are excellent.
GIMBAL
They are setup ready to go.
Thanks, Grantham Kid!
I have thought about that - maybe I will. Other option is to invest in a larger UAV which can lift a bigger camera. Have been thinking about something like the TBS Discovery Pro but I would want to be able to attach a larger camera than a GoPro...
Tim
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:32 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoswava View Post
Just a quick shot this morning of the sunrise. Clouds were awesome.
Awesome shot!
The aspect ratio really works well too.
Tim
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:42 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,035 Posts
The ends of summer at Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia Canada
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:56 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
570 Posts
Since we don't really get fall colors here, I took some liberties with the assignment. At the risk of offending practically everyone...

Over the last few months I've been putting together all the bits and pieces for a two-camera kite aerial photography rig for doing land use analysis and archaeology. I finally got everything assembled a few days ago, but still haven't flown the rig. But early last week I grabbed the two cameras - one a normal Canon A2200 and the other a Canon A2200 converted to IR - and took them up in a plane. I wanted to see if the basic idea worked.

The plane I took was an island-hopper flight on Mokulele Airlines. They operate a fleet of single engine turboprop planes that they fly below 8000' ASL. We were still around 4500' when I made a pair of photos of South Kohala, near where I live. Here's the color frame:

South Kohala Color
by TomBenedict, on Flickr

(If I get any points toward real fall colors, it's gotta come from that frame. The rest is all smoke and mirrors.)

I hand-held the two cameras, half-pressed the shutters, lined them back up on the subject, and fully depressed both at the same time. I had to align the two in Photoshop, but it had no problem lining up the IR photo with the RGB photo. This is where the real fun begins.

In case people haven't run into color infrared film before, it works by shifting the R,G,B response to light by one color: red colors correspond to infrared light, green colors correspond to red light, and blue colors correspond to green light. Blue light is ignored. Since I had R, G, B, and I data available, I used it to generate a synthetic color-IR photo:

South Kohala Color Infrared

Hey, look! Instant fall colors! (Sort of...)

There's a filter that was developed for use with LANDSAT imagery called the Normalized Differential Vegetation Index, or NDVI for short. Each pixel is represented by the equation:

NDVI = (I-R)/(I+R)

It highlights areas of photosynthesizing vegetation. I couldn't do this one in Photoshop, so I used Imagemagick - my fallback for obscure image manipulation like NDVI.

South Kohala NDVI

Ok, no fall colors on that one. Sorry. If anything it illustrates my problem. All the trees still have all their leaves, and they're all photosynthesizing like nuts!

But just as it's possible to have a color channel correspond to a different wavelength of light, it's just as easy to take something like the NDVI image and use it as a color channel in a color photo. This next one assigns infrared light to the red channel, the NDVI image to the green channel, and green light to the blue channel.

South Kohala False Color

Fall colors at their worst! Anti-freeze green!

But images like this have actual utility. Whereas the NDVI highlighted areas of photosynthesis, this one differentiates various types of vegetation. Trees show up a lurid shade of green. Healthy grasses show up as more of a yellow. Brown and dead grasses show up as various shades of magenta. Asphalt is bright purple.

Ok, ok, so most of the color here was generated, and none of it had anything to do with the seasons. I'll try to get out in the next couple of days to do some real foliage photography. But I figured I'd share.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:10 PM
Multiwii noob
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I've really enjoyed the sunset and sunrise shots, and this is a wonderful time of the year for this.
pacoswava is online now Find More Posts by pacoswava
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:04 PM
United States, WA, Quincy
Joined Aug 2013
456 Posts
Tom, that's fantastic, can you fill me in on how you're doing the conversion?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
Since we don't really get fall colors here, I took some liberties with the assignment. At the risk of offending practically everyone...

Over the last few months I've been putting together all the bits and pieces for a two-camera kite aerial photography rig for doing land use analysis and archaeology. I finally got everything assembled a few days ago, but still haven't flown the rig. But early last week I grabbed the two cameras - one a normal Canon A2200 and the other a Canon A2200 converted to IR - and took them up in a plane. I wanted to see if the basic idea worked.

The plane I took was an island-hopper flight on Mokulele Airlines. They operate a fleet of single engine turboprop planes that they fly below 8000' ASL. We were still around 4500' when I made a pair of photos of South Kohala, near where I live. Here's the color frame:

South Kohala Color

(If I get any points toward real fall colors, it's gotta come from that frame. The rest is all smoke and mirrors.)

I hand-held the two cameras, half-pressed the shutters, lined them back up on the subject, and fully depressed both at the same time. I had to align the two in Photoshop, but it had no problem lining up the IR photo with the RGB photo. This is where the real fun begins.

In case people haven't run into color infrared film before, it works by shifting the R,G,B response to light by one color: red colors correspond to infrared light, green colors correspond to red light, and blue colors correspond to green light. Blue light is ignored. Since I had R, G, B, and I data available, I used it to generate a synthetic color-IR photo:

South Kohala Color Infrared

Hey, look! Instant fall colors! (Sort of...)

There's a filter that was developed for use with LANDSAT imagery called the Normalized Differential Vegetation Index, or NDVI for short. Each pixel is represented by the equation:

NDVI = (I-R)/(I+R)

It highlights areas of photosynthesizing vegetation. I couldn't do this one in Photoshop, so I used Imagemagick - my fallback for obscure image manipulation like NDVI.

South Kohala NDVI

Ok, no fall colors on that one. Sorry. If anything it illustrates my problem. All the trees still have all their leaves, and they're all photosynthesizing like nuts!

But just as it's possible to have a color channel correspond to a different wavelength of light, it's just as easy to take something like the NDVI image and use it as a color channel in a color photo. This next one assigns infrared light to the red channel, the NDVI image to the green channel, and green light to the blue channel.

South Kohala False Color

Fall colors at their worst! Anti-freeze green!

But images like this have actual utility. Whereas the NDVI highlighted areas of photosynthesis, this one differentiates various types of vegetation. Trees show up a lurid shade of green. Healthy grasses show up as more of a yellow. Brown and dead grasses show up as various shades of magenta. Asphalt is bright purple.

Ok, ok, so most of the color here was generated, and none of it had anything to do with the seasons. I'll try to get out in the next couple of days to do some real foliage photography. But I figured I'd share.

Tom
pshelton is offline Find More Posts by pshelton
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
570 Posts
I can. But rather than take up space in this thread I'll point you toward one where I discuss it in more depth:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2005168

Glad you liked it!

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:43 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
979 Posts
A quick trip to Hayling Island yesterday (like 30 minutes to spare) weather wasn't all that conducive to good photos but I managed to salvage these 2
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:44 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
Seasons... these two photos were taken during my monthly aerial progress contract of some road constructions.

27 days apart at the end of a dry summer!

Cheers

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:57 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,658 Posts
My Ranch.
Spring is here and the palms and bamboos are showing signs of a dry winter.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid