HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Discussion
Why is powerlab 8 reporting different voltage then my cell log?

Just wondering what is going on here. I had a bad cell and while trying to determine what was wrong I noticed the following.

During discharge of my 6s pack the powerlab 8 would report 3.85v for cell 6, while my cell log reported 3.63. Since I know this cell was for sure a problem I think my cell log was reporting the right voltage under load. All other batteries report proper voltage on both.

When I stopped the discharge the cell seemed to bounce back to the same voltage as the rest of the cells instantly.

What is going on here? Why doesn't the my powerlab 8 show the cell at the lower voltage while it is being discharged.

Here is my setup, I had the cell log hooked up at same time it was discharging on the power lab 8 by using a jst-xh adapter.

Eddie500 is offline Find More Posts by Eddie500
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,177 Posts
What wiring mode are you running in? If you are not certain, please check.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:28 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
What wiring mode are you running in? If you are not certain, please check.
When charging I use a paraboard from epbuddy, but I only plug my main battery wire to it.

I then connect my balance lead of my 6s pack directly to the GP/KO adapter that came with my charger.

My wiring is set to FMA Wiring.

When I choose XH/EH wiring, when I go to charge it says incorrect wiring.

I still have the above problem from my original post. The problem is when I am discharging a 6s pack, a bad cell will drop about .2 volts lower than what my powerlab 8 is reporting. Maybe this is because the charger is smoothing out the voltage or something?

I think even though the charger is reporting a higher voltage, when the cell reaches the discharge voltage ,the charger does stop the charge. I have to test this to be sure but I think this is the case.
Eddie500 is offline Find More Posts by Eddie500
Last edited by Eddie500; Nov 12, 2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,177 Posts
There is a little smoothing that goes on. But if the cell stays at that voltage for any length of time the charger should be updating the display. A assume you are running 3.31?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99