HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
Discussion
APM 2.5, MinimOSD and telemetry and without telemetry

Is there a way to set up the APM 2.5 so that i can use the minimOSD with and without a telemetry link, with no removal of the OSD TX line?

I know UART0 is used for telemetry and UART1 is used for gps, can I separate UART2 for just the minimOSD?

Cheers
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
938 Posts
I'm not sure I quite understand the question, but you can share the Telem port (UART0) with both the radios and the OSD. Just use a Y cable. (We're going to be releasing a version of the MinimOSD that allows you to daisy-chain a 3DR radio, to make the wiring a bit easier).

UART2 is reserved for expansion (a new product coming soon)
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,243 Posts
+1 to What Chris said.. You can share the data coming out of UART0. Plus you have the telemetry out port. You can solder some headers on to the UART0 port marked on the side of the board. Then just pull from GND, 5V and TX0. I ended up going this route with a RCTimer board since their telemetry comes with a different header. The only downside I've found is you have to unplug the telemetry radio from the side UART0 pin headers if you go to use the USB port.

Here's a post I made on DIYD...

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...-mosd-solution
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:52 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlite View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand the question, but you can share the Telem port (UART0) with both the radios and the OSD. Just use a Y cable. (We're going to be releasing a version of the MinimOSD that allows you to daisy-chain a 3DR radio, to make the wiring a bit easier).

UART2 is reserved for expansion (a new product coming soon)
I always like new products. Any hint on what it might be and when it will be available?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
I have it on the uart0 point on the board however I have to have thetelemetry connected (active) for it to work.... if the telemetry is not connected (not active) but the modem on the quad still connected (physically wired in) then the osd doesn't give values...

does the apm only stream the data to uart0 once the telemetry has connected to the ground station side? Or does it wait for a signal into the rx uart0 /2 of the apm to let it know to send the data.

Cheers
mawright89 is offline Find More Posts by mawright89
Last edited by mawright89; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
You have to move the tx wire back and forth.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Damn, that's what I was hoping to be able to avoid. A spst switch for the osd txt line then but what happens if I accidentally have both tx active at the same time. Will it cause damage and if so what sort?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
@ RC Man,

DIYDrones announced yesterday that they now had the 2.5 with vertical pins and telemetry setup. Available in early January.

http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_A...t-telem915.htm

Probably not the new product Chris was alluding to though but still a very cool offering IMHO.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
But not really what this thread is asking...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
True and didn't mean to thread jack but I guess my point was that with the new offering the telemetry will be built in so splitting the video with the telemetry won't be a problem any longer.

In actuality I was interested to the solution to your question too.

-Mike
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Ah, I get what your getting at... will this be a hardware update organ I retro update a rctimer apm 2.5?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
Doesn't look like it. I have not read through the new documentation yet to see what else is different though.

If it's any consolation I just bought a DIYDrones Hexa B with the 2.5 and it won't come with it either.

-Mike
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright89 View Post
Damn, that's what I was hoping to be able to avoid. A spst switch for the osd txt line then but what happens if I accidentally have both tx active at the same time. Will it cause damage and if so what sort?
I really doubt it would hurt anything. Garbage in might confuse the Flight Controller though. That could be bad.

It's not a big deal to pull the connector off the radio and stick it sideways on the OSD. The TX pin is the last pin on the connector, so it goes right on next to the OSD connector. Bit of a bother to remember, but you'll figure it out when OSD doesn't startup.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
I really doubt it would hurt anything. Garbage in might confuse the Flight Controller though. That could be bad.

It's not a big deal to pull the connector off the radio and stick it sideways on the OSD. The TX pin is the last pin on the connector, so it goes right on next to the OSD connector. Bit of a bother to remember, but you'll figure it out when OSD doesn't startup.
My data radios are the ones from Rc timer with the molded type connectors both ends. I have the osd on the uart0 extra points.. I'll put a switch on it and hopefully remember to switch it over.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:08 AM
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
766 Posts
is this the same? http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...2&productname=
bjornthans is offline Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: mission ready t960