HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:19 PM
Live to learn. . .
Rafa's CB100's Avatar
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
deleted ... too much off topic
Yeah, but the humor . . . .

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I would be extra careful about the 130X, the earlier models had an atrocious reputation for QC and reliability. There are tons of hate threads about the 130X on Helifreak. There were lots of rancor in this forum as well when the 130X first appeared. Even an HH rep went on record to say that the 130X is suitable for those who has advanced knowledge of maintaining a helicopter.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=430288

The situation may have improved somewhat but there are still quite a lot of complaints. I would follow the 130X forum in Helifreak.

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=299
Yeah, it really seems to be a crapshoot as to whether your 130X is OK or broken out of the box. It's so close to the border of a "real" heli that you may as well go to a 250 or 450.

Quote:
Should i go out and see if the V120 will take it? I don't even think the X5 will like to fly in this. In fact, i'm positive the FAA would be grounding real helicopters in this. sucks. Can't fly this weekend. I'll have to resort to crashing my V120 in my driveway some more. I am on my last set of mix-matched 130X blades too. I ended up with one white one from the V120D05CS08 and one yellow from the D02S. I will probably try the bulleted ones next. But with how cold it is, i'm sure one of these blades will go in the first crash today! I have plenty of stock and other blades, including wood. But they are not as good. Oh well, away i go. expect some videos later if i don't crash and break the heli in the first 30 seconds, which is fairly common.
It's 15mph winds with 25mph gusts out here and I took the 250 out for 3 packs. it just made my flips sloppier than normal and I had some serious transitional lift differential to deal with on circuits. Other than that my 250 handled it like a champ.

So the AR7200bx arrives next week, but I got my DSMx sats, EC5's and new charger in. I'll post a pic of the new toys once they're all in. I'm also in contact with my supplier for my next kit. If all goes well I'll be placing the order for the X4 as soon as they get back to me. If not then I'll be placing an X5 order from somewhere more local! I know I'd been waffling a while but now that things are in the pipe it's time to get the gaui grin on
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:35 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
I never understood the bored thing, I can always find something interesting to do
Well, kites are too aggravating for me. I'd quit after the first tangle. As far as the "bored" thing. It's mostly just because all i want to do is fly. I am a music producer, DJ, artist, and i have plenty of digital toys and things to actually do. I actually have about 10 hobbies. I can always find something to do but i've lost interest in all of it, for the most part. I just want to go fly now, before long i will likely be bored with this and move on to the next thing. I'm sure. What ever that might be. But for now i'm hooked bad. I didn't learn all of what i know now by being content with everything i do. Thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post

Ever tried spinning poi or staffs, also excellent fun and you can set em on fire or use glow stuff for a real buzz. I never understood the bored thing, I can always find something interesting to do
Actually I've done all that. I can spin plates on my fingers and do glow sticks and poi, just like this guy. He actually sucks at the glow sticking part. But is pretty good at the poi type moves. I am an Ex rave dj and music producer after all. I came by all this stuff and mastered most of it before i turned 20. Before becoming a DJ i was just a silly raver. Baggy pants and all. I used to light the poi on fire or use glow sticks and do shows in night clubs. Once i even did it while performing music on stage. When i was younger I even used to use and sell those "devil sticks" or "juggling sticks". All of that stuff can only occupy so much time. The devil sticks were fun because i would go out to the Daytona beach boardwalk and use them. People would become so impressed or whatever and want to buy their own. So i would go out with a bunch of them and sell them out there. Back when i was like 17 or something. It became very boring, but because people showed so much interest and i profited, it was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
The Nationwide series race is on ESPN2 now & you can watch & see how many left turns they make.

Edit:Left turns before there is a crash.
Man, you know i live in Daytona right? (20 mintues away) They just had the Daytona 500 here... Talk about boring! This year a car went though the catch fence and it was still boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Yeah, it really seems to be a crapshoot as to whether your 130X is OK or broken out of the box. It's so close to the border of a "real" heli that you may as well go to a 250 or 450.



It's 15mph winds with 25mph gusts out here and I took the 250 out for 3 packs. it just made my flips sloppier than normal and I had some serious transitional lift differential to deal with on circuits. Other than that my 250 handled it like a champ.

So the AR7200bx arrives next week, but I got my DSMx sats, EC5's and new charger in. I'll post a pic of the new toys once they're all in. I'm also in contact with my supplier for my next kit. If all goes well I'll be placing the order for the X4 as soon as they get back to me. If not then I'll be placing an X5 order from somewhere more local! I know I'd been waffling a while but now that things are in the pipe it's time to get the gaui grin on
That is really cool. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! Your going to love it. You can hit me up in PM if you need any help. You can grab my phone number too if you really get into something you can't figure out. Though i think you know what your doing. I just thought i would offer.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Mar 02, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
I have been having an unpleasant time at my LHS lately. The owners are very friendly and provide excellent service. The problem is with the female staff who are there when the owners are not around. I am basically left in no doubt that I am not welcomed there through all sorts of rude words and gestures. It has got to the stage that I am frightened of going there unless the owner is around.

The problem is that the shop sells a lot of other stuff as well, but they put the heli stuff closest to the counter. This probably because the heli stuff are at the greatest risk of being stolen. You know what modelers when they go into a model shop. They take time to pick parts and sometimes chat to the staff or other customers. This is what is upsetting them and I have seen other modelers being rude to. I don't think the owners are aware of this. Even if they, I am not sure whether they can do much about it as the staff may be their relatives.

It is not as if there are no costs when I go to my LHS. I spent over $10 in petrol and parking fees every time I go there. If this continues, I may start buying more online. It is only a hobby and I just don't see why I should stand being offended all the time. It has got to the point that I am totally fed up.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Mar 02, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I have been having an unpleasant time at my LHS lately. The owners are very friendly and provide excellent service. The problem is with the female staff who are there when the owners are not around. I am basically left in no doubt that I am not welcomed there through all sorts of rude words and gestures. It has got to the stage that I am frightened of going there unless the owner is around.

The problem is that the shop sells a lot of other stuff as well, but they put the heli stuff closest to the counter. This probably because the heli stuff are at the greatest risk of being stolen. You know what modelers when they go into a model shop. They take time to pick parts and sometimes chat to the staff or other customers. This is what is upsetting them and I have seen other modelers being rude to. I don't think the owners are aware of this. Even if they, I am not sure whether they can do much about it as the staff may be their relatives.

It is not as if there are no costs when I go to my LHS. I spent over $10 in petrol and parking fees every time I go there. If this continues, I may start buying more online. It is only a hobby and I just don't see why I should stand being offended all the time. It has got to the point that I am totally fed up.
Well, obviously there are cultural differences from where you live and where i live. I am the type of person that would very professionally pull the owner aside and have a conversation about the issue. Perhaps you will get no where, perhaps you will find you never want to go back, ever again. At the end of the day, i think you'll end up happier for doing so, regardless of the outcome. So long as you have an alternative.

I am having the opposite effect at my LHS. I asked them for business cards with my name on it and i give them to anyone i refer and tell them to give the card at checkout. The LHS then gives me some discounts and things. Of course this is my idea, presented to the owner myself. But i have the added benefit of people seeing me at my fields, which are in a different town from the LHS. So lots of random people ask me where to go look for the helicopters.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Mar 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:47 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Very interesting because others and myself have found just the opposite. I guess it's just personal preference. Once you remove the tail vibration your opinion may change. Let me save you some time if it's not too late. I wrote up a nice mod to install the 120 slipper clutch onto the 130. The added weight of the 120 tail also removes the harmonic vibration. It combines the great characteristics of both heli's.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=130x+hybrid

BTW, love your servo saver mod!
Decided to give the 130X another whirl after writing the comment. After the vibration, flight is pretty good. Pirouette better than the V120. Can see why people think 130X flys better than V120.

It does have a dead spot in the servo though. Small stick movement the helicopter does not respond. Large stick movement the heli suddenly respond. That seem to be characteristic of linear servo. V120 will respond even with tiny stick movement and is smooth. Smooth is important for indoor. Not so much outdoor though.
Taking off the canopy to access the battery is an irritation on the 130X.

Regardless, that sloppy tail bearing give people a very bad impression. eFlight need to have a serious talk with their bearing procurement folks. Recall it was also the bearing that almost killed the mCPX as well.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:48 PM
Registered User
microrcfiend's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,555 Posts
[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;24304314]Well, kites are too aggravating for me. I'd quit after the first tangle. As far as the "bored" thing. It's mostly just because all i want to do is fly. I am a music producer, DJ, artist, and i have plenty of digital toys and things to actually do. I actually have about 10 hobbies. I can always find something to do but i've lost interest in all of it, for the most part. I just want to go fly now, before long i will likely be bored with this and move on to the next thing. I'm sure. What ever that might be. But for now i'm hooked bad. I didn't learn all of what i know now by being content with everything i do. Thats for sure.



Actually I've done all that. I can spin plates on my fingers and do glow sticks and poi, just like this guy. He actually sucks at the glow sticking part. But is pretty good at the poi type moves. I am an Ex rave dj and music producer after all. I came by all this stuff and mastered most of it before i turned 20. Before becoming a DJ i was just a silly raver. Baggy pants and all. I used to light the poi on fire or use glow sticks and do shows in night clubs. Once i even did it while performing music on stage. When i was younger I even used to use and sell those "devil sticks" or "juggling sticks". All of that stuff can only occupy so much time. The devil sticks were fun because i would go out to the Daytona beach boardwalk and use them. People would become so impressed or whatever and want to buy their own. So i would go out with a bunch of them and sell them out there. Back when i was like 17 or something. It became very boring, but because people showed so much interest and i profited, it was fun!

No worries, just trying..
That's some nasty stickbanging glowsticking man, those kids got no flow, just smack

I agree with the flying though, can't get enough, havent woke up thinking of anything but helis for a good couple months now and have 3 planks unfinished because I found cp helis. Thinking of trying to find a proper rc heli lesson just so I can fly something big with a buddy box or something, I've never flown anything bigger than the 100 size heli for more than 3 mins and that was my v120 experience

To be honest, I think double staff and poi has provided a fantastic mental spatial base for the heli stuff. It's sounds daft at first but you have 2 sticks, forward and reverse weaves, relation of the sticks or poi, timing and your orientation. The four basic flight orientations relate to that structure for me perfectly, just need to work on the tail first inverted and I thought nobody would notice if I left out that boring backwards flight right side up

I'm interested if people tend to use some kind of system or visualization for learning all the orientations of flying or just use experience and muscle memory. I once was told if you do something for 5 mins every day for 30 days it will be in your long term memory.

Can't remember who told me though
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:29 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
Decided to give the 130X another whirl after writing the comment. After the vibration, flight is pretty good. Pirouette better than the V120. Can see why people think 130X flys better than V120.

It does have a dead spot in the servo though. Small stick movement the helicopter does not respond. Large stick movement the heli suddenly respond. That seem to be characteristic of linear servo. V120 will respond even with tiny stick movement and is smooth. Smooth is important for indoor. Not so much outdoor though.
Taking off the canopy to access the battery is an irritation on the 130X.

Regardless, that sloppy tail bearing give people a very bad impression. eFlight need to have a serious talk with their bearing procurement folks. Recall it was also the bearing that almost killed the mCPX as well.
Yeah, about the only thing I'm not fond of is the linear servos. Taking the canopy off I hear the microheli rotational servo upgrade is a little better on the tail. But i know of one person who received a defective one too, so. I don't know if it's worth it or not. I don't think there is another option for the cyclic though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post

I agree with the flying though, can't get enough, havent woke up thinking of anything but helis for a good couple months now and have 3 planks unfinished because I found cp helis. Thinking of trying to find a proper rc heli lesson just so I can fly something big with a buddy box or something, I've never flown anything bigger than the 100 size heli for more than 3 mins and that was my v120 experience

To be honest, I think double staff and poi has provided a fantastic mental spatial base for the heli stuff. It's sounds daft at first but you have 2 sticks, forward and reverse weaves, relation of the sticks or poi, timing and your orientation. The four basic flight orientations relate to that structure for me perfectly, just need to work on the tail first inverted and I thought nobody would notice if I left out that boring backwards flight right side up

I'm interested if people tend to use some kind of system or visualization for learning all the orientations of flying or just use experience and muscle memory. I once was told if you do something for 5 mins every day for 30 days it will be in your long term memory.

Can't remember who told me though
Yeah, well... I flew hundreds of hours in phoenix sim. I didn't have much experience with anything other than a V911. So i flew lots on the sim before i even took my V120 or 4f200 into the air for the first time. My problem was i had to stop flying the sim because my real helicopters were not keeping up with what i was trying to do and just didn't feel the same. So i ended up having to relearn muscle memory and things like that all over again for the real helicopters. I still get this effect, even with the BeastX helis. But the BeastX performs much closer to how the sim "feels". I wouldn't doubt if my other skills like devil sticking and things like that had a beneficial effect for things like this too. I know video gaming increases hand eye coordination. I can't see why things like sticks and poi would be any different. Of course i played a lot of video games too. Going all the way back to the Atari days.

Repetition is key for learning anything and flying is no different. it's too expensive to repeatedly crash on a real helicopter. It's beneficial to own a sim. Alternatively, my LHS has real flight or something setup on a TV in there. You could check your LHS and go hog up their sim for free
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:18 AM
Registered User
microrcfiend's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,555 Posts
I flew a couple months of sim out of fear before ever buying even a plane and still killed it proper quick, poor t28 micro.

I think a system or structure is just as important as repetition, certainly for me. I found the difference between just 'practicing' and 'considered practice' light and day difference. If it's not as hard as it was when I first started learning then i'm not pushing myself.

Seems easier to relax when flying outside of the sim then, I used to be so tense and crash out of fear or crashing and just block up.

Now helicopter setup is something I really need to put more time into, back of the class for that one. Yikes, i'm off for a fly..
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksriramk View Post
Guys I accidentally hit the tail blades on the ground and the edges were slightly bent but it flies ok. Ordered a spare blade today from BG. The material with which the tail blade was made seemed to to regular plastic. Is it possible to make one myself in the meantime.
Guys a little help here please.
kartiksriramk is offline Find More Posts by kartiksriramk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:36 AM
Registered User
microrcfiend's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,555 Posts
Can't find the link now but yeah, I saw a guy who posts here had some home made ones out of carbon on his page when I clicked on his name, think he has a tab line like making stock fly like modified or something under his name.

Other materials should work if you get the edges and thickness correct
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:43 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Can't find the link now but yeah, I saw a guy who posts here had some home made ones out of carbon on his page when I clicked on his name, think he has a tab line like making stock fly like modified or something under his name.

Other materials should work if you get the edges and thickness correct
If I cut it, the edges are blunt. Any idea on how to sharpen it up? Sand the edges?
BTW if I had a tail with carbon blades wont it be super stiff and strip the tail gear?
Stock blades seem to destroy themselves saving the gear.
PS: I dont have a slipper clutch.
kartiksriramk is offline Find More Posts by kartiksriramk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksriramk View Post
Guys I accidentally hit the tail blades on the ground and the edges were slightly bent but it flies ok. Ordered a spare blade today from BG. The material with which the tail blade was made seemed to to regular plastic. Is it possible to make one myself in the meantime.
Your best bet would be to use the small tail blades for the Trex 250. They should be easy to find at your local model shop. You better know what you are doing if you want to make your own blades. For one, they have to be balanced correctly.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=3914790



Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Well, obviously there are cultural differences from where you live and where i live. I am the type of person that would very professionally pull the owner aside and have a conversation about the issue. Perhaps you will get no where, perhaps you will find you never want to go back, ever again. At the end of the day, i think you'll end up happier for doing so, regardless of the outcome. So long as you have an alternative.
.
I thought about doing it many times but I don't really have a good alternative at the moment. As things go on, I am afraid that I might end up losing my temper badly at the shop. This will just make things bad for everybody. Anyway, I have much more important things to deal with at the moment.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:23 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Can't find the link now but yeah, I saw a guy who posts here had some home made ones out of carbon on his page when I clicked on his name, think he has a tab line like making stock fly like modified or something under his name.

Other materials should work if you get the edges and thickness correct
They guy you are talking about is Heliflyer711.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksriramk View Post
If I cut it, the edges are blunt. Any idea on how to sharpen it up? Sand the edges?
BTW if I had a tail with carbon blades wont it be super stiff and strip the tail gear?
Stock blades seem to destroy themselves saving the gear.
PS: I dont have a slipper clutch.
Oh a heli this small. CF blades are probably a bad idea. You don't need blades this small to be that rigid. The only reason for using CF blades on the tail would be to get more "Bite" into the rotor. Meaning it will respond faster and push the tail harder because the blade cannot flex with the pitch changes. This also causes additional stress on the drive system. But it will not strip the gears. Only if you slap them on the ground, or in a crash. The plastic blades will be just the same in that regard. You really kind of need a slipper clutch on this small size bird. It's tail is too close to the ground. Additionally, The tail blades are fully articulated tail blades. So they should be loose enough that they basically almost flop around in the grips. This might save a gear on impact if it's very light impact. Because the blade can give way some instead of being perfectly fixed in place and transferring all of the force down the drive line. Your still going to strip the gears if this happens though.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:04 PM
Registered User
i812's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
5,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksriramk View Post
Guys a little help here please.
Look near the bottom of this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=1
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem Ė new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 04:22 PM