HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:34 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Help!
Best Radio on 72 mhz

Last week I lost control of my plane twice in one flight on 2.4 (yeah, yeah, 2.4 is a no-no ) but I didn't want to upgrade my radio until I found if I really enjoyed FPV ( I DO!!!!!!!!! Havn't flown a regular model in a month or two). So now I'm looking for a new radio that I'll be able to get more range on. I was thinking about putting a booster on my DX6i, but I use that for my regular models so I think getting a whole new system would be better.

So I've been searching around lately for a new radio. What do you guys think of the futaba 9cap? 9 channels would be pretty helpful because I could use full pan and tilt as compared to my just pan as of now.

What do you guys reccomend?

No UHF LRS as of now, just because I'm 17 and on a budget . Don't know if this matters... but I'm running an 800mw 1.3ghx VTX.

I'm also open to suggestions about 35mhz. Thanks so much! -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:48 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Hi tyler,

I dont know whats the best, but I got an Eurgle 9X from R2hobbies for around $120 shipped, then picked up a JR 72mhz synth module for it off of ebay (cant remember how much) and got my self a corona 8ch synth rx off of Hobbyking for ~$20. This is a very cheap setup, and so far I have only gone out about ~1km ,maby a little more, completely stock.

I also use a UHF system though.

Good luck!!

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
I have the futaba 9c 72Mhz for a month now. I did ground tests with ranges over 1 mile no glitching. I fpv'd an easystar with 1.3Ghz video a little more than a mile out and could have gone further. I don't think I would have a problem going 2 miles out with it.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,856 Posts
I've had my 9C for 3-4 years, really love the radio and the programming. Spektrum modules are available for it as well if you want to use it with your 2.4 stuff.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
If you double the rx antenna length, can't you double your range? Or how does that work? Thanks, -Tyler
Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:02 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
if you double your reciever antenna you can EXTEND your range. No specific formula to it though. Every reciever is different.
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Then what's the best way to increase your range on 72? Thanks! -Tyler
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:22 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Doubling the receiver's antenna length is key. When I did this I was able to drive to the middle of the plantation and still get clear signal with the airplane going through hundreds of trees and many houses. Before doubling it, it used to not go that far with things in between.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:28 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
if you double your reciever antenna you can EXTEND your range. No specific formula to it though. Every reciever is different.
That's all you can do. Without a spectrum analyzer or several flights a day between modifications it's probably not going to work out for you... it'll be less work for you to get a part time job and save for a UHF :P
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:57 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
I have a job right now, it's just I'd rather not put all my eggs in one basket . I still want to invest in video goggles and a plane just for FPV. -Tyler
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:47 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
are you not getting the range you want now? you might be surprised what you actually get if all your components are laid out properly.

Do range tests, one with stock reciever antenna lenth. Try clipping different lengths of wire to the end of your antenna, varying by 1 - 2" at a time. Try a theoretical 1/2 wave first. Use an online frequency calc to find the length for your frequency.

You can squeeze more out of your system with optimized antennas. This applies to your video aswell...
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:02 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Right now I'm using a DX6i and an ar6110. I really need to get an ar6200 or ar7000. Can you even change the antenna lengths on these receivers without totally killing their range? Thanks! -Tyler
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:25 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Dont touch the antenna lengths on 2.4ghz receivers.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 03:26 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Thought so
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,183 Posts
Quote:
If you double the rx antenna length, can't you double your range? Or how does that work? Thanks, -Tyler
Nope. In simple terms : Changing length, changes impedance, which changes efficiency at which it radiates the power supplied by the transmitter. The transmitter needs a certain impedance to work properly, so there is a limit on how far away you can deviate. The most noticeable increases come with increased power to the antenna....but, it's not linear. Doubling the power does not mean double the range. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way.
Strive for the least amount of power (low energy consumption) into the most efficient antenna (high gain).

Quote:
Might try a more efficient antenna at the transmitter. Never tried it on 72 mhz, but the principles are the same. Maybe a 5/8 wave whip. Yagi styles are being used on 900mhz and up...might be too bulky for 72. But it's the only way to get more range without bumpin up the power (and remain legal).
Just remember, really high gain antennas have a more narrow beam and require aiming. (becomes a problem for some setups).
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Last edited by sawman; Sep 27, 2010 at 04:41 PM.