HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Build Log
Seagull Dewoitine D.520

After seeing the Seagull Dewoitine D.520 in the Seagull Seafire thread, I just had to have one. Thanks 800mZero!!
It seems no one in North America is carrying them so I contacted the Seagull UK distributor who put me in contact with the British dealer, Galaxy Models.
The price was 169.99BP with the VAT included, but being it was an international sale, we do not pay the VAT so the price came to 144.00BP.
At first, the shipping seemed expensive, but considering that this is a large model and it is coming across the pond, 70BP doesn't sound so bad. Heck, I was going to buy an ESM LA-7 from the States which would have cost me over $200US for shipping!
I'm hoping it should be in my possession within 2-3 weeks at which point I will do a build/conversion thread (it will be electrified.)
Will keep you posted!
http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/detail...otid=1|15#lift

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:09 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
yes keep me in the loop--I had contacted horizon about this model when i first noticed it at the beginning of this year and was told they would be carrying it--however as you have found it has yet to show. If you do a google search there is a couple of build threads from france where guys have done the steps to bury the servo's in the wings and such for scale--it is a gorgeous model.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:22 AM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I agree, it is an awesome looking model, but I am surprised that it hasn't gotten much publicity or interest. The only treads I could find on the D.520 within RCG was of a gentlemen who scratch built one, other than that there are no indications of any manufacturers modeling one, except for Seagull.
I haven't seen the servo hatch mod, but with such large wings, it should be an easy mod. Not even sure why Seagull would go with exposed servos on such a large scale plane anyways; to cut costs I guess??
I have been following one of the French forums where one owner has detailed his model with panel lines and rivets, scratch built the cockpit, and added a sliding canopy. I may duplicate that one with mine. Let's see how the build goes.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:00 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
The package arrived today via mail. I was a little hesitant to open it up because I figured with the long trip across the pond and then across all of Canada, it was going to have some damage.
It came doubled boxed plus inside the actual model box, there was quite a substantial amount of packing material to protect it, and upon opening, it was in pristine condition! Great job Seagull and Galaxy Models!
First, out came the fuselage. It has the pilot bust and canopy already installed, so unless you plan on scratch building a scale cockpit; there's no work there. Inside, the bulkheads and stringers are all laser-cut balsa and ply; excellent quality and construction. The guide tubes and control rods with clevises are already installed for the rudder and elevators.
Second was the cowl along with a bag of parts within it. The cowl is fiberglass and one feature that caught my eye was that the root of the wing leading edge is built into the cowl. A nice touch.
The parts bag stored within the cowl contains the radiator intake, exhaust stacks, and fairings for the horizontal stabs (another nice touch.)
Next was the vertical and horizontal stabs. The surfaces are built up to form a proper airfoil. My first impression of the rudder was, "wow, that is colorful!" The brilliant yellow with red stripes along with the red, white, and blue rudder is very striking.
Next came the wings. They are typical built up balsa and ply with a film covering; nothing out of the ordinary here. The flaps and aileron servo bays already have the film covering removed for installation, but the landing gear bays are still covered over and will require removal. The servo bays are a huge oversight by Seagull; they are exposed with the servos protruding out the bottom of the wings. A large model like this should have the servos hidden inside the wing with proper servo hatches; there's tons of room for it.
Finally, bags of parts and other goodies include everything needed to put the plane together with the exception of glue. This model is so complete I figure if I dig more through the parts, I will probably find a tube of epoxy in there somewhere. The parts even include an electric conversion kit which has a battery tray and an electric motor mount. However, the fuselage does not have an access hatch in it so you will either have to make your own or remove the wing to change out your batteries or as recommended in the instructions, install the battery tray in the nose and cut an access hole in the cowl in order to remove your batteries.
Just briefly reviewing the instruction manual, I found it to be very detailed and very clearly worded with great pictures for illustration.
This is my first Seagull Model ARF and my initial impressions are extremely positive. This, I believe, will be an easy and enjoyable model to build. I have attached a few pictures showing the contents of the model and its packaging.
Let the build begin!!

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Orvis; Sep 01, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:24 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
While I'm waiting for my ESC and servos to arrive, I decided to test fit the pieces of the model. Everything fits absolutely perfect! No tweaking, trimming or modification of any kind.
I did notice the Oracover has some blistering and wrinkles in certain areas, but that is to be expected and should come out easily with an iron. Otherwise, the fit and finish on this model is fantastic.
I have noticed that the airframe is quite light for its size. On my weigh scale it weighs in at 4.8lbs. Initially, I was quite dubious of the manufacturer's claim of 10-11lbs RTF, but now I believe it will most likely be in that range.
I'd expect that once I receive all my electronics, the model should go together in about a day.
The only issue I foresee, is the battery compartment. As said, the manual suggests installing the battery tray in the nose and to cut out an access hole in the cowl. I really do not like this idea because I do not want to ruin the scale looks of the plane.
I was hoping to place the batteries in the forward part of the fuselage, behind the firewall, and remove the wing to change them. However, after sizing up the the inside of the fuselage,there just isn't enough room to allow me to do this.
So the best course of action is to follow the instruction manual but instead of leaving a gaping hole in the cowl, I will reinforce the hole and install a hatch.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 12:40 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
that looks really really good----dare i ask the shipping cost?
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:41 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey Orvis,

Man that's cool.... Keep up the pics.

I may have to look at this later this year

Keep us informed !!

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:55 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,176 Posts
Nice looking model the Dewoitine, I recently got the Seagull Sparrow Hawk and thought the kit was really well produced.

If she flies as good as she looks, (mine does), you will be well pleased.

Link to my Sparrow Hawk thread - A Sparrow ?, a Hawk ?, a Seagull ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:16 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
70BP which about $112.00CAN, but considering it is a large model, the shipping from the UK is reasonable.
In the end, the total price was no different than ordering a Seagull model of the same size from one of Canada's LHS.

Thanks Joe! I've got to ask ,have you finished that VQ Yak?

eflightray-I'll have to check out your thread.

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Orvis; Sep 04, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:29 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey Orvis,

Yup, I've been enjoying flying it this summer. I need to post some pics.. Sorry bout that. It flys like a sport plane. For some reason I seem to land it fast. I guess since its pretty clean. I find myself rolling into the arrestor weeds at the end of our field.

I ended up using a 3 blade 13x10x3 on the Scorpion motor.

Best part is the LED gun flash late in the day. Looks awesome.

Ta ta ta tahhhh....

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:26 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Orvis,

Yup, I've been enjoying flying it this summer. I need to post some pics.. Sorry bout that. It flys like a sport plane. For some reason I seem to land it fast. I guess since its pretty clean. I find myself rolling into the arrestor weeds at the end of our field.

I ended up using a 3 blade 13x10x3 on the Scorpion motor.

Best part is the LED gun flash late in the day. Looks awesome.

Ta ta ta tahhhh....

Joe
Joe,
Cool stuff! I would really love to see some pics. It sounds as if it flies very similar to my VQ Macchi 205. From the pictures they have very similar lines. It likes to land fast also.
I'm still waiting for my VQ Yak-9 order to show up. For what ever reason, the release date keeps getting pushed back.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:43 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2010
53 Posts
Really nice, just bought one myself, and thinking of doing an electric version.
What batteries do you plan on using? 6Cell Lipo or 8 cell Lipo?

Not sure about the weight and center of gravity, otherwise, I would maybe look at an 8 cell LiFe with 3200mAh, or even 4000mAh, like the new prismatic cells by Hacker...... This, as getting to the batteries appears to be a difficult job, so LiFe batteries would be noce, as one can leave them in to charge via a plug on the outside......

Let me know how you got on with the cog on this bird......

Thanks,

Madd0g....
madd0gcom is offline Find More Posts by madd0gcom
Last edited by madd0gcom; Sep 08, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:29 AM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madd0gcom View Post
Really nice, just bought one myself, and thinking of doing an electric version.
What batteries do you plan on using? 6Cell Lipo or 8 cell Lipo?

Not sure about the weight and center of gravity, otherwise, I would maybe look at an 8 cell LiFe with 3200mAh, or even 4000mAh, like the new prismatic cells by Hacker...... This, as getting to the batteries appears to be a difficult job, so LiFe batteries would be noce, as one can leave them in to charge via a plug on the outside......

Let me know how you got on with the cog on this bird......

Thanks,

Madd0g....
I had ordered an E-flite Power 90 with a CC Phoenix ICE 100amp ESC to put into the model. The plan was to run it on 8S lipos.
However, I have a Turnigy Aerodrive XP 160 SK that I was origianlly going to put in my ESM Hawker Typhoon winter project, but I may opt to put it into the Dewoitine instead and run a 10S lipo (2 - 5S.)
It's surprising how little room there is in the forward part of the fuselage for batteries in this model especially when you take into account its size. I guess if you trim out some of the bulkhead where the fuel tank goes, and cut out part of the firewall, you could get a pair of 3S or 4S lipos in there, but I really do not want to weaken the the frame as it seems fairly light weight as it is.
Also, the servo tray inside the fuselage is removeable so it would be possible to trim it to fit farther back in the fuselage to allow room for the batteries.
Regardless, this model has a pretty short nose with the majority of the fuselage behind the wing so I think there will be no other option than to place everthing inside the cowl. (However, the Turnigy 160 and the 10S lipo may make it a little nose heavy.)
I'll keep you posted on the CG the model is completed.

Cheers
Peter
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:05 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2010
53 Posts
Thanks Peter,

was thinking of mounting a scorpion 4025/12, with a 7S LiFe prismatic.
Don't you think the 10S or even 8S setup will be overkill?

Have you tried the program drivecalc?
This should gove you a good indication of your motor setup.

Unless you want to torque with it, a 1:1 ratio, or slightly above should be enough to fly this beautifull bird....

Erwin
madd0gcom is offline Find More Posts by madd0gcom
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:11 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madd0gcom View Post
Thanks Peter,

was thinking of mounting a scorpion 4025/12, with a 7S LiFe prismatic.
Don't you think the 10S or even 8S setup will be overkill?

Have you tried the program drivecalc?
This should gove you a good indication of your motor setup.

Unless you want to torque with it, a 1:1 ratio, or slightly above should be enough to fly this beautifull bird....

Erwin
The Turnigy 160 on 10S is definitely overkill, but the 8S on a Power 90 will be a good match. It's what I use in my VQ 60 size Hurricane which weighs 10.2lbs; approximately the same as the D.520 at 10.1-11lbs.
I originally had a Power 60 running 6S in the Hurricane and although it did fly, it was a little anemic for my liking.
As a result, I like my planes to be a little on the overpowered side; to be able to crank it up and throw them around like it's nobody's business. It's also nice to be able to cruise around at scale speeds with the throttle only at 1/2 or less. I have a 46size VQ Macchi Veltro that weighs just a tad over 7lbs running a Power 60 on 7s lipos with a 15x10 2blade E-prop. It really hauls and has unlimited vertical. My flight times generally last around 10-12 minutes with my batteries still showing around 3.80 on each cell.

Cheers,
Peter