HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Discussion
Help finding a small, slow crawler?

I'm hoping to find something for my kid to drive around. He's only 2 right now and of course does a really awful job, so I'm looking for something that is slow and tough. I'd also like for it to be able to drive in the grass. He won't *actually* be taking it crawling, but I think a crawler would be pretty well suited to my goals.

I recently got a 1/16th e-revo and it is fantastic, something a similar size, durability and quality would be great. A slow version of the summit might be amazing. I think perhaps I could use the high speed gear (assuming it is like the e-revo and actually lowers the gear ratio), but not raise the voltage. I could also put a potentiometer into the controller to limit the throttle endpoints like it already has a steering end point limit.

But it seems like a vehicle like this must already exist?

I poked around the forums with search, but didn't have a whole lot of luck.

I also realize this is totally overkill and that I should probably just find some kid oriented remote control car. He just has such a blast driving around my old xmod car and steering my tiny losi car and the e-revo.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
A bit more searching finds a 1/18th Losi Rock Crawler, but that looks like it'd be for serious crawling and would not be possible to make quick later.

And the 1/24th Losi Rock Crawler has worm gears so it'll *never* be fast and if he pushes it along it'll probably destroy the diffs.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
And doing a bit more research...

It looks like you can reverse the transmission gears in the 1/16 Summit (and probably my E-Revo) from 5.04 to 9.72. This alone would reduce the speed by ~half. I could throw in a 55 spur gear to take the final ratio from 30.4 -> 33.4 (stock is 15.75). From there, I can use the ESC to reduce maximum throttle by 50%.

A forum post at another site suggest stock speed is ~34mph and the reverse/under gear drops it down to ~18. Turning on 50% throttle in the ESC should get that down to ~9. From there, throttle end point adjustment should be able to get it down to ~5 which I think would be perfect. And it'd have plenty of torque for going through grass.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Well, in talking to myself I was convinced to give the 1/16th Summit a try. At the very least, I know *I'll* like it.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:10 AM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
660 Posts
Sorry for not seeing this earlier. I did the exact same thing with my 1/16th Summit. Put on the High Speed gear (which lowers the ratio), flipped the tranny gear to lower the ratio even more and then put on a Axial 27 turn motor.

Even with open diffs I had more fun going slow with that Summit than I have had breaking 50mph with my Rustler. It was not a true crawler by any means but it did better than most people thought it would. Plus the 16th chassis is so flexible than you can convert it to a merv, nascar truck, rally car, mustang, or slash later if you want to. (My summit is currently a rally car)

To me the key to all this was the tranny flip and the Axial motor. Those really changed the personality of the truck.
Jimmy the Heater is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater