HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,677 Posts
Alan,

I've only had my PNP for a few weeks now and the only things I'd suggest;
- Check/tighten all motor mounting screws
- Replace the stock prop with a apc 12x6e (or 13x4e for a little slower flying speed) and make sure you properly balance these
- Use the fully threaded bolts for the wings and the shouldered ones on the elevator
- if your strip is a little lumpy/bumpy ditch the wheel pants and use larger 3 inch light weight wheels. You will need a couple of extra wheel collars to hold the whells on. I drilled out a couple of 3mm ones I had with a 9/64 inch drill bit.

These are the main things I've found out. So far I really love this plane and I'm sure you will too.

Cheers,
Tom C
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Here is the down side of the Turnigy 3648 Brushless Motor 850kv.

I looked for replacement shafts, could not find any, so a bent shaft basically will cost you a new motor.

According to HC "We are sorry that we do not have the requested part in our stock list. Manufacturer only sell the complete set of item to us as it is the minimum profit for them."

Cross this one off my list....Moving on.....
Here you go:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ies_Shaft.html

I looked at the specs for the 3648 motor and it says that it's 70mm overall length. That shaft (for the SK35-48) is 70mm long. It is also 5mm which is what the 3648 uses.

So yeah, it should fit perfectly. And even if it doesn't you'll just need to use a collar on the side that the c-clip goes on (but only if the C-clip doesn't align properly).

Now of course the whole Backorder thing is an issue as well. I don't know when theyll get new stock on these particularly since we are still waiting for the new motors to be released.

But anyways, there you have it, a replacement shaft.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
667 Posts
Ok, I just looked at the Length of both the SK35-48 and the 3648 (without the tip of the shaft) and they are both 51mm. Now if the Data on HK's website is correct (lots of times it may not be) then that means the shaft for the SK motor is identical and will fit perfectly in the 3648 (the C-clip will align perfectly with the end of the motor and hold it securely in place).
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,407 Posts
Thanks - you think HC/HK would have figured that out.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:30 PM
Ånge Sweden
Joined Dec 2006
133 Posts
PLane donw

well another one with a broken carbon-z yak, elevator servo froze in flight and it whent down, body cut straight off behind the canopy and rudder missing and left wing turned into stamp size pieces...

all servoes are working after crasch???

but man this thing is hewy? it flies as a brick, its a pattern/figure plane at most, surely not a 3D low flying thingy..

who got spares in EU?

right wing, rudder, tail gear and a engine shaft.

yes new servoes needed to.. dont trust em.

started twice but only landed ok once..
Unpoor is offline Find More Posts by Unpoor
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:23 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,407 Posts
I have broken my fuse no less than 4 times. I have broken both elev tips. I have ripped off the rudder. I have ripped of the ailerons and recently about 4 inches of the wing tip including snapping the aileron hinge rod, I have broken many props, bent one shaft and bent the LG many times, like every single time I fly, but it all glues back together. It gets heavier over time.

Until I get to where I feel very comfortable, I do not plan on replacing any foam parts or if I can no longer repair it. It is not pretty, but the uglier it gets, the more I relax.....

The fuse is not available yet in US, that I have found. Most other parts are and may be showing up in hobby shops.

I say, glue it together the best you can.....

Good luck
Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:38 PM
Ånge Sweden
Joined Dec 2006
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
I have broken my fuse no less than 4 times. I have broken both elev tips. I have ripped off the rudder. I have ripped of the ailerons and recently about 4 inches of the wing tip including snapping the aileron hinge rod, I have broken many props, bent one shaft and bent the LG many times, like every single time I fly, but it all glues back together. It gets heavier over time.

Until I get to where I feel very comfortable, I do not plan on replacing any foam parts or if I can no longer repair it. It is not pretty, but the uglier it gets, the more I relax.....

The fuse is not available yet in US, that I have found. Most other parts are and may be showing up in hobby shops.

I say, glue it together the best you can.....

Good luck
Bob

mmm yes .. glue and.. well missing part of wing and rudder is gone.. lost in the woods..

yanked all servos out.. the servo arm moves ezly on the splines.. think that was what happend.. eflite servocrapppppppp....
Unpoor is offline Find More Posts by Unpoor
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpoor View Post

but man this thing is hewy? it flies as a brick, its a pattern/figure plane at most, surely not a 3D low flying thingy..

It has no choice but to fly that way with that brick of motor up front. it works for that style of flying..pattern.. you can change that with a lighter motor but will not the "best" 3d plane ever. helps take some stress off the landing gear too
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
I do not have a problem with low slow 3D with mine and it is all stock.

I can do every move with it that I can do with my Extreme Flight planes, rolling harriers, elevators, parachutes, knife edge spins.

The Extreme flight planes are lighter but they also do not put out 800 watts so the Yak has them in the speed and climb department.

I think if you come from a flat foamy plane to this you will have some problems at first but overall the Yak flies just like any Balsa 3D plane from 51'' slicks to 70'' Edges.

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:32 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
1,007 Posts
I own and fly the E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54. I also own and fly the 3DHS Slick 51". I have owned and flown both for many months. The E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 is no 3DHS Slick 51". Two COMPLETELY different planes..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
Never meant to say that the Yak matches exactly a 51 slick... not the point I was going for.

Of course every air frame has differences its just people are rating the Yak like it should fly like a flat foam plane, it does not it flies like a balsa 3d plane.

If you can fly 3D stuff with your Slick you can do it with the Yak.
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
1,007 Posts
Quote:
"If you can fly 3D stuff with your Slick you can do it with the Yak."
That is an untrue statement as this video will will prove:

You can't float the Yak-54 like this:

3DHS 51" AJ Slick... take 2 (6 min 6 sec)
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmarshall View Post
Never meant to say that the Yak matches exactly a 51 slick... not the point I was going for.

Of course every air frame has differences its just people are rating the Yak like it should fly like a flat foam plane, it does not it flies like a balsa 3d plane.

If you can fly 3D stuff with your Slick you can do it with the Yak.
Yes, it flies in the same league as a number of popular 48-51" balsa freestyle planes. It isn't a real light floaty profile plane, it is a relatively scale plane that can fly a lot of pattern, 3D and sport aerobatics. Some of it's competition are a bit more floaty, but don't snap as well, or carry as much momentum into moves, others fly a bit heavier, and can't harrier or hover as well, few are as powerful and fast while still remaining as light and floaty, just a couple of the best. The wing loading is about 16oz per sq ft, almost identical to the 51" Slick(that I also have), the Slick has more control authority, and can feel a bit floatier and more stable, it's due to the design, not the weight, wing area, or wing loading.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:48 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
It doesnt fly like the other planes because you cant achieve the proper balance with a motor made of lead on the tip of the plane.
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:13 AM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
383 Posts
nice flight there 4-stroker. did you post that at the slick thread too?

how about a Yak vid?
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974