SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:42 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Discussion
Eflight park 400 leads broke off.

Alright, got a little problem here. I was taxing back when the wind tipped my plane over and stopped the motor for a split second. After that it wouldnt work properly, it would run fine without a propeller but bogged above half throttle with a prop on. It ran fine under half. I shot the leads which tested fine. So obviously something was wrong, it was running fine unless it was over half power or had no load. My best guess was that one of the phases were damaged some how. Took the bell off the motor (lost the e clip and dont have a replacement 3mm collar ) Checked the inside, couldnt find any burns or chaffing. My park 250 had the leads break off multiple times, so I checked the leads. Sure enough, the center wire broke clean off. On closer inspection, it looks like two "cables" with three wires each going into the blue wire. Never seen that kind before..

Now I know I can solder it back on, but there really is no room to reach and not enough lead left to solder. I need to remove the dark silver motor mount, which is probably also the bearing tube. I dont have a press or heat gun to do it either so I need to come up with another way to get at that little nub. If anyone has any advice other than "just heat it up and press it out with a press" would be appreciated I am about to just break out the dremel, I know how this path is from the Eflight park 250, constantly soldering and resoldering.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Seems like no one knows. I got out the masking tape and covered up the stator and bearings. Used a dremel to cut off all of the unneeded material around the back of the motor. That gave me plenty of room to do my soldering work. I put a match flame on the bare wire that broke to melt the plastic covering off. Moved them close as possible and put solder on them. Then I put the old wire back on, ops check to see if it there is a short and finally I heat shrunk the wires, threw it on a plane and ran it up. Ran perfectly fine.

So to any eflight park series owners, I highly recommend you reinforce the wires as they are very prone to breaking off and causing a lot of headaches! The modified motor resembles a super tiger .10 in appearance.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs View Post

So to any eflight park series owners, I highly recommend you reinforce the wires as they are very prone to breaking off and causing a lot of headaches!
Hi zio,

I use E-Flite Park motors just about exclusively. Have maybe $3,500 worth of them, maybe more. Have never had a wire come off or break yet.

Maybe you just got a bad one. But at any rate, it's my opinion that they are not 'prone to breaking off'.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:40 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Hi zio,

I use E-Flite Park motors just about exclusively. Have maybe $3,500 worth of them, maybe more. Have never had a wire come off or break yet.

Maybe you just got a bad one. But at any rate, it's my opinion that they are not 'prone to breaking off'.

Chuck

Its my experience from the Park 250 and the park 400 that they both break off real easy. The wires seem stiff as paperclips and have no flex to them, and they are cut so close to the stator that when they do break, you have to hope they reach or you might have to take a single turn off to make the wire longer. All I did to the 400 was a very common prop strike to the ground, not a crash , no real force. MY axi 2208 and 2204 both have had thousands of these little bumps with no ill effects. The 250 broke from the ESC (phoenix 10) coming loose in a roll and pulling a wire off.The ESC on my 2204 just hangs there since I know its not going any where.
I have had maybe about $90 worth of the motors, not impressed.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I don't doubt your experiences at all. I'm just wondering why the wires are coming off in crashes, etc. Stopping the prop dead in it's tracks doesn't impart any twisting forces to the wires. Is it possible the motor is coming off it's mount during these nose overs?

The E-Flite Park 250 is used in many of the the E-Flite mini series of planes like the Nieuport, the Jenny, the SE5A, etc. Now E-Flite planes recommends the little 250 be attached to the plane's mount with the supplied carbon fiber tubing and a drop of Silicone which is indeed prone to failing in flight and during mild crashes. Many of us have gone the route of reversing the shaft of the 250 and using a conventional mount system to prevent the motor from coming loose. This is very important because E-Flite actually included an oversized carbon fiber tube in many of it's planes, which makes the motor even more prone to coming loose. E-Flite denied ever doing this, but those of us with sloppy fitting motors (and dial calipers) know better.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
I only got the aluminum mount with my 250. It was the older one when it first came out.

The 400 was mounted to a fire wall with the stock mount, had no flex. It is in a formosa. The plane or motor was never crashed, abused or even flown hard. It was my 5th or 6th flight with the set up. The only other thing I can think of is that it was a cold solder joint or something.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs View Post
I only got the aluminum mount with my 250. It was the older one when it first came out.

The 400 was mounted to a fire wall with the stock mount, had no flex. It is in a formosa. The plane or motor was never crashed, abused or even flown hard. It was my 5th or 6th flight with the set up. The only other thing I can think of is that it was a cold solder joint or something.
Hindsight is always 20-20, and even though it's too late now... the next time you get a bad E-Flite motor, call Horizon Hobby (the parent company) and let them know what happened. They usually will either fix it free, or send you a brand new one. They are a remarkable company as far as customer service is concerned!

Chuck
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:58 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Hindsight is always 20-20, and even though it's too late now... the next time you get a bad E-Flite motor, call Horizon Hobby (the parent company) and let them know what happened. They usually will either fix it free, or send you a brand new one. They are a remarkable company as far as customer service is concerned!

Chuck

Yeah, I have used their C/S a lot of times, best I have ever seen. I got the motor back in october-novemberish though, was unable to fly till recently