HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
JB
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
764 Posts
Alexander,
I have some ideas regarding how you can save weight on those motor mounts.
I will send you an e-mail.
JB
JB is offline Find More Posts by JB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Love this one!!

Fantastic
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:48 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,812 Posts
Alexander,

I am building landing lights into my DC-6 and I was wondering: How are the lights mounted. I noticed they are under the wings just inside the outer nacelles towards the rear of the nacelles but I can't find any detailed pictures. They appear to rotate down when turned on: Is this correct?

Also, one other picture I found shows two taxi lights on either side of the nose gear strut. Have you seen this on the DC-6B you are using as reference or is it possibly a modification?

Thanks,

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:58 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Alexander,

I am building landing lights into my DC-6 and I was wondering: How are the lights mounted. I noticed they are under the wings just inside the outer nacelles towards the rear of the nacelles but I can't find any detailed pictures. They appear to rotate down when turned on

Thanks,

Dave
Dave:
As near as I know the lights are retractable. So that when the light is switched off; it rotates 90 deg and the lens is flush with the bottom of the wing: and when switched on; it extends out of the wing to point forward.
Many aircraft from the same era of the DC-6 had this style of landing light.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Dave, Indeed the landing lights are retractable as you supposed. Here are some pictures of how I did it and some pics of the full scale plane.

Regarding the landing lights on the Red Bull DC-6B: they are added later (I was lucky to take a lot of pictures when I visited the Red Bull DC-6B in Salzburg / Austria).

Great DC-6 you have

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Dave, Indeed the landing lights are retractable as you supposed. Here are some pictures of how I did it and some pics of the full scale plane.

Regarding the landing lights on the Red Bull DC-6B: they are added later (I was lucky to take a lot of pictures when I visited the Red Bull DC-6B in Salzburg / Austria).

Great DC-6 you have

Cheers Alexander
Alexander,

Very cool idea with the micro servos. I will have to consider trying this but I need more channels on my radio!

Dave
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:38 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
Using more channels just increases pilot workload - and on the approach none of us need that!

Gang them up with another channel so the lights drop when the gear goes down - or maybe the flaps. Simpler and automatic.
KISS.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Using more channels just increases pilot workload - and on the approach none of us need that!

Gang them up with another channel so the lights drop when the gear goes down - or maybe the flaps. Simpler and automatic.
KISS.
I was thinking of flaps but I would need some micro switches because my lighting module doesn't have any smarts.

Dave
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:57 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,812 Posts
Alexander,

I was wondering if you have ever seen this mock aluminum finish called Dyna-Skin. It appears to be lightweight and looks spot on as real aluminum.

http://www.dynamic-rc.com/DynaSkin.html

Dave
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:48 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,802 Posts
OH that's some cool stuff. Just e-mailed them to ask a couple of questions about it.
Thanks for the link.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:00 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Thank you all.

Regarding channels and lights and workload.

Robin, on the one hand side I agree. But I equipped almost every plane I have with landing lights and flaps and some with retracts.

So I have three additional switches that are used in flight (on Taxi even more ):

A) Lights with three pos.:
1) strobe / beacon only (this is what pilots switch on when they enter the cockpit to announce: plane under power - from what I learned from Air Atlantique)
2) Nav Lights (wings and aft)
3) landing lights

Before take off I set the switch to 3) and after I am in a safe flight situation I switch off the landing lights. During approaches I used to switch them on and off for the audience. But this is still in safe flight conditions (i.e. level straight flight)

Before landing (early stage of the approach) I switch on the landing lights. Very safe.

B) Retracts: same here: Although the switch is easy to reach with my index finger I wait until I am in a safe flight condition. Not very scale but I am working on it

For landing I flip the retracts switch also way in advance. No workload problem here.

C) Flaps: I also have a three position switch here: flaps retracted, take off position, landing position. Usually use them for take off. Since I have some routine here I flip the flaps switch pretty shortly after the plane is airborne. (I wish I had the same routine with the retracts).

For landing I use the flaps shortly after the remaining landing configuraion is set (ie landing lights and landing gear).

On final apporach I usually set full flaps and throttle up a bit.

All in all the workload is overseeable.

Cheers Alexander
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:05 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Alexander,

I was wondering if you have ever seen this mock aluminum finish called Dyna-Skin. It appears to be lightweight and looks spot on as real aluminum.

http://www.dynamic-rc.com/DynaSkin.html

Dave
Dave,

I will use tha scale livery the G-APSA will have after restoration which starts shortly. Julian Firth from the Cloudmaster team is so kind to provide the drawing which I very much appreciate. Here is a picture of the old Eagle Airways livery she will have with some alterations due to copyright issues.

BTW I got in touch with Carl Bachhuber who also built the DC-6 Independence (Air Force One at that time)

Cheers Alexander
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:40 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
DC-6 Plans...

From time to time people ask me about getting the plans of my DC-6 so that they can build their own DC-6 using my plans.

I have to dissappoint you: when I started the project in July 2008 three and a half years ago it never came to my mind that so many people would follow my build threads (German first then here at RCG) and that so many are interested! I am quite overwhelmed by this.

But I would like to remind you that this is the very first plane I design myself. I started model flying in 2007 and I still feel that I have to learn a lot however I learned a lot while the project moved on. I would not build some things the way I designed them two or three years ago.

Another thing is that I already have 200 Adobe Illustrator files for the DC-6. The wing and the fuselage files are really complicated (not merely complex if you get the point ) and I have so many layers that I myself have a hard time reviewing what I did some time ago. The reason of course is lacking experience and also lacking time.

I still don't know what the next procect will be. It is possible that I will go for another DC-6 (I just like that plane a lot!) in 125" or even 141" (1/10 scale). I consider the DC-6 I am building right now a prototype.

However I plan to draw a good threeview. Not including scale Details but with all major measurements including the stations I have from the full scale plane.

This one I will share of course.

Cheers Alexander
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:52 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
So is the 112" Vickers Viscount slipping out of the picture for you now Alexander?

A pity if so... I was lookiing forward to working with you on that project!
(Or maybe that's what has put you off it?)
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Well, Robin, I still don't know. Having the chance to working together with you would be something that is a "pro" for this project.

But there are a couple of issues I see with the Viscount to build it like I like to do it:

1) The flap mechanism will be very difficult to do right. The one on the DC-6 is a piece of cake compared to the mechanism on the Viscount.

2) I still have no idea of the airfoil. There are some pictures but I just don't know yet. My next plane should have the airfoil correct.

3) Also the main landing gear with its foldable main strut will be a major challenge.

My goal for the models is to get the technical details as to scale as possible. I don't bother too much with the finish, so no rivet counting from my side. But the landing gear, the way the controls are hinged and actuated must be very close to the full scale plane.

I had the chance to see a Viscount very close in Rio de Janeiro when I stayed there for two weeks and one from the company brought me to the Museu Aerospacial outside the town.

It's still on my list but I have to think about it. Do you have Skype? We could discuss the project one day.

Cheers
Alexander