HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,757 Posts
Works !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Great idea.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:43 AM
Parede, Portugal
Joined Nov 2006
43 Posts
Looks great, Ed. Kinda like solo sailing, you need to adapt

Actually that technique is sometimes used on 1:1 boats.
pjesus is offline Find More Posts by pjesus
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:28 PM
Pop-eye
The Netherlands, UT, IJsselstein
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
inspirational

Being still fairly novel to wood-building, the threads put by you and the likes of you (woodybob on the Chris Craft) are MOST INSPIRATIONAL !

I commend you for the tenacity and craftsmanship in your building. The glassy finish on your woodwork is something I strive for. I`m currently building a Billing Boats Phantom, that is: the hull is original where the deck-layout and therefore the interior will be completely scratch.
This - you do like pictures? - is where I stand now, contemplating angles of shafts, placement of motor and where the seats will be exactly.

Name: IMG_3889 - kopie.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 153.0 KB
Description:

Thank you once more for your beautiful work!

Pop-eye
algra054 is offline Find More Posts by algra054
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:13 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
algra054,

Thank you for the comment. Have you thought about starting a build thread. Its nice to see some new builds. It looks like you have a good start.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:35 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
I like the new color of the mahogany, Ed. And your method for glassing.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:23 AM
Pop-eye
The Netherlands, UT, IJsselstein
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Hi Ed,

Actually: I do on the Dutch modelforum, you can find it here. If you want to brush up your Dutch you`re most welcome .
algra054 is offline Find More Posts by algra054
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:23 PM
Australia, WA, Beckenham
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Hi Ed,
Fantastic job on the Speedster, How can I get a copy of the model plans that you started with. Up until now I have only been building static models from scaled down fullsize but your work has inspired me to one step further and go to RC. I love all the old style speedboats and have a range of plans for full size inboard and outboard style and currently have a couple of boats on the go. I find a scale of 1:6th just a nice size although my first ever build of a George Crouch designed hydroplane was a bit smaller and looking now, a lot rougher than I would hope for . Still we all have to start somewhere dont we. Would love to be able to reproduce the Kittyhawk 11 from very early days of Hackers boats but have drawn a complete blank on any info, even photos are hard to find. The story is she went down in the river in the hands of the third owner and that was that. Was fantastic to find your build log on the speedster . Congatulations on a top job
ArrVeeBee is offline Find More Posts by ArrVeeBee
Last edited by ArrVeeBee; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: add another image
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:53 PM
Australia, WA, Beckenham
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
For your interest found a couple of images long lost deep inside my computer, I just love them both
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
ArrVeeBee,

You have some nice looking boats. And thanks for the pictures, it looks like the K37 is similar to the speedster but with different hardware. I have the plans for the speedster and was thinking about getting them scanned into a PDF format. If and when I do I can email it to you, they are not very accurate.

Another option is the Miss Behave kit from M.A.C.K. Products (see the link below). The Gar Wood Speedster has a lot of hardware and is hard to make unless you have a Lathe and Milling machine.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/708%20Miss%20Behave.htm

Ed
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
ArrVeeBee- The picture you have is a modified Gar Wood speedster built by the Turrcott Brothers, which was lengthened to 20 or 22 long. There were only 11 of the original speedsters built by Gar Wood, and then an additional 8 or 12 fiberglass replicas built by Alexandria Bay boat works, called the Wellington speedster.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:52 PM
Australia, WA, Beckenham
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
G' Day Guys
Thank you for your replys, Yes I realized that K37 would have been a replica , still a mighty fine looking boat, those lines are absolute classic wouldnt you agree.
Ed , with regard to the plans of the speedster I would appreciate a copy and am happy to work out something with you regards your time and money to scan / copy whatever. Like you I am able to finetune any thing that needs it in the plan as long as the basic shape and dimensions are there.
I am unsure if this is the appropriate place to be discussing these topics ,re plans whatever please let me know.
The Mack boats kit does look nice but I get the most satisfaction from starting from the beginning with nothing more than the full size builders would have had. Seems like having all the bits in the box makes it just a very fancy jigsaw puzzle.
Would you be interested in me keeping a log of the boats I have in progess at the moment and adding posts as they come along. Would look forward to the feedback and any help with techniques etc.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
ArrVeeBee-You can buy a full set of plans for the Gar Wood Speedster from the Antique Boat Museum at Clayton NY. Their web site is ; http://abm.org/
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:00 PM
Australia, WA, Beckenham
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
frankg
Awsome, thanks Mate
I am onto it now
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:38 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
I have finishes fiber glassing the Gar Wood and am in the process of putting the second coat of resin on the hull.

In the meantime I started on making the brass vents that go on the back hatch to vent the gasoline fumes on the full size boat. I super glued 3 brass pieces to a piece of wood and used a 3/32 ball nose end mill to cut a raised peak on the vents. The piece in the middle is a rough vent I had cut out and formed but it needed to be a little bigger, so I used it to measure off of. The vents still need more shaping then they will be silver soldered to a flat plate and have the vent holes drilled in them. Then polished and chromed.

Ed