HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,309 Posts
If i could make one recommendation it would be on the tires. Get beadlock rims and rok lox 4.0 tires, best I've ever seen. The size of jumbo kongs, half as thick and half the weight w no driveline stress, no ballooning at top speed, no high centering on a trail, I'll never own another or 8th scale monster wo em
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:36 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Finally got my osd pro setup on the emaxx and its pretty cool,took a while to learn it but once you get it its not to bad, i have had an eagleyes station for a while for diversity,but now with the osd pro i can do telemetry which shows in real time on Google earth where i am,which is great when running in the woods behind my house,its really disorienting being at ground level and going into some big brush, had to hike back there many times to find it LOL,i have the osd read out distances every 60 sec and with the home arrow make it a lot easier and if that dont work i just watch the line on google earth on the laptop,now my problem is as everyone else,getting some distance,i started fpv with the cars 3or4 yrs ago always this time of yr when it gets a bit cold to fly.me and my son would bash in the yard with the cameras having a good time,i always ventured into the woods,we back up to 200 acre of woods and tried most of the frequency .i have a 900mhz 500mW,-5.8GHz 600mW immereson for the fatsharks.a sunsky 1.2GHz 800mW and a RMRC 1.2GHz 1500 mW, I have used the homemade Ib crazy clover skewer combo,the patch with the stock whip and im still like everyone else not getting the distance i would like,today i was little over 200 meters in thick woods.which is not bad i guess since it is pretty thick outback but i did not run out of video,i had a lot of switching on the eagleyes,going from one antenna to the other,i was using the sunsky 1.2 800,i tried it first with the rmrc 1500 and it killed my control tx,i am using a turnigy 9v2 with the stock rx.i tried my specturm 2.4 and it was worse,i also used and old 72 mhz system i had laying around but did not get great results with that,and did not have many channels to play with,at 200 meters i still had decent vid it may have even gotten better if i could have gotten a bit further since there is small field in the woods where i was heading and it opens a bit. my main use for the osd is not for the ground fpv but in the air with the rth and guardian stabilizer i just put it in here to learn it,but the ground is addicting and my next step is a dragon link..the dragon link and the osd will go in the plane in the spring but for now want to have some fun in the woods,any idea how the dragon link would work threw the woods,sorry for the long ramble just had a fun day with this all hooked up LOL here are some picks of my setup with the emaxx,
Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:57 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
Went into HobbyTown, and asked for a good FPV car with brushless motor, 4WD (I have hills) and water resistance - left with a Helion Dominus 10TR - which I now know doesn't cut it for FPV - it's geared for jack rabbit starts, and it cogs and jerks at startup, nor will it move slowly, certainly not in any controlled fashion (likely due to the 4WD design).

So - I've been looking at vehicles with smooth start/stop and easy/smooth low speed handling, that have muli-wheel drive as well.

Rock crawlers seem to fit the bill - am I right so far?

And Axial has some that look good ...

AX10 - older, goes slow
SCX10 - newer, scale
RX10 - newer, no compromises for scale
Wraith - newest, goes fast and slow

But I've never seen them run except in videos - and the videos typically don't show starts and stops - just slow crawling (exept Wraith, which showed fast and slow).

Will all of these vehicles perform smoothly from start to stop and also move slowly without having a twitchy throttle threatening to hurl the car forward at untold velocities?

It looks like Axial was going for a car, the Wraith,which would handle well at slow and fast speeds - but I need verification, before I make another $260 mistake, like I did with the Dominus.

I want to observe nature in my yard using FPV while I'm in the house - and I need to creep about without disturbing the environment.
Ultimately, I ordered the 1/10 Losi Night Crawler - mainly cause I have hills, and the other cars in the same price range had drag brakes - meaning they'd drift on hills (and I've at least an acre of hill, steep hill), where the LNC used the worm gear drive as an effective brake - if the motor isn't running, the wheels aren't turning. I was actually surprised, to see the lack of brakes on these things - I guess it's go fast and go forward, for most.

I'll receive the Losi on Wed, and then tranfer the FPV platform from the useless Dominus 10TR onto the LNC - and the fun begins.

I'll be ordering lexan sheets this week also, in order to make a waterproof cab for the FPV gear.

I really wanted the Traxxas monster summit with transmitter controlled diff lock axles and low n high gears - provided it had real brakes too - but it was simply too much cash - nice though.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
1,960 Posts
I use the Traxxas Summit with a Tonka jeep body attached for my FPV runs.
There are cheaper rc cars available, but if you want the best, then the summit is the only one to go for, as it is smooth, will run fast and slow, changes gear on the fly, you can lock the diffs, it has 7" suspension movement and is waterproof, all of which make it almost unstoppable, a big plus when driving FPV, out of sight and 1/2 mile away, as you want to drive back, not have to go for a walk to retrieve it.
FPVsummituk is online now Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,504 Posts
I drive a 2 wheel drive slash fpv around many places to test out fpv gear and stuff

recently I drive my car around running tracks to have fun

slash is brushed motor and designed for 7 volts but i use 16 volts and have no problem with the slash car

it goes pretty fast, my guess like over 60 kmph

or more

i lowered the car and stiffened the car to take the corners as fast as it can

rc car going around running tracks fpv 3 and 4 cell (9 min 17 sec)
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,481 Posts
I also thought of trying it on a track, looks cool driving in the lanes. I did a couple of FPV expedition with the summit this weekend, will post the video when edited.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I also thought of trying it on a track, looks cool driving in the lanes. I did a couple of FPV expedition with the summit this weekend, will post the video when edited.

I push limits as my time is limited

Interesting thing is I use 4 cells to drive the car
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
I use the Traxxas Summit with a Tonka jeep body attached for my FPV runs.
There are cheaper rc cars available, but if you want the best, then the summit is the only one to go for, as it is smooth, will run fast and slow, changes gear on the fly, you can lock the diffs, it has 7" suspension movement and is waterproof, all of which make it almost unstoppable, a big plus when driving FPV, out of sight and 1/2 mile away, as you want to drive back, not have to go for a walk to retrieve it.
I agree - the LNC has a narrow wheel base, which results in the odd unexpected tipover while traversing my hills. To avoid that, I clearly should have ordered a larger vehicle for the more stable wheel base - and the Summit's gearing providing low speed control is attractive, along with the transmitter controlled diff locking axles. Next time the budget allows, I'll get the last FPV car I'll need - a Traxas Summit.

This LNC does allow me to just creep along though, an inch at a time, if I like.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,854 Posts
I use a summit for my fpv rig and honestly, I keep it in faster speed gear with locked diffs all the time, it seems most capable like this, I'm also running a brushed setup which could play a facto r too.

I while back, I posted a pic of my summit with a sweet scale tundra body on it. Well, I'm in the process of reworking it. Basically going to be like the tonka summit but, been there done that, time for something different. I'll post more pics as I get some work done on it.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,023 Posts
Wow, you run high gear with locked diffs? I'm surprised you can turn doing that because I get a terrible turning radius with locked diffs.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Wow, you run high gear with locked diffs? I'm surprised you can turn doing that because I get a terrible turning radius with locked diffs.
I run a single brushed motor with two 2cells on the evx2. I'm using an fm esky air radio as I get the most range with it. Not sure exactly what the range is but I've got landmarks out here that I use to compare.

It's funny because I seem to only run fpv in the winter.....didn't even think about it all summer and now that it's cold and snowy, I'm jazzed for fpv again.

Quick pic, head lights plug right into the summit harness.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,023 Posts
Huh, I only run the single motor on the EVX-2 as well myself and just can't seem to get any sort of turning radius with the diffs locked. I know people on the Traxxas forums have blown their diffs running in low and high gear if they forgot to shift. I guess it's possible!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Huh, I only run the single motor on the EVX-2 as well myself and just can't seem to get any sort of turning radius with the diffs locked. I know people on the Traxxas forums have blown their diffs running in low and high gear if they forgot to shift. I guess it's possible!
I don't go too fast, maybe that's it? Rarely do I go flat out with this rig. Never blown a diff yet. Now I've jinxed myself
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Hey all ! I bought a summit recently to modify it to a Tonka Summit like replayreb's. I drive it FPV with stock body so far and it works great ! Even crossed a low water river bed with it, very fun, nothing stops the beast Much less stressfull than plane, surface FPV is fun for no hassle, quick set up FPV fun around the neiborhood

Here is a video:

https://vimeo.com/52327142
Hi, great video! Can you please share the FPV equipment you used on your vehicle? I have a 5.8 GHz setup on two flying machines but I know 5.8 GHz doesn't penetrate well... just wondering what you used as I'd love to pick up a car or truck and have fun FPV'ing with a ground-pounder. Thank you!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,481 Posts
I'm using the same 900 mhz I put on my planes. Its only 200 mW and although I can fly as far as 7,5 km with a patch, I can drive about 600-800 feet with it and the Yagi.

I have the Gopro installed on the top front roll bar, the VTx tie wrapped on the bottom of the rear roll bar and I tape the 3S 500 mAh to the top.I use the GoPro live out. the camera is connected with a servo connector so i can switch easily to an FPV cam for night runs.

On the Tonka summit thread, calidave went pretty far with 5.8 Ghz in open ground. Not good with objects. replayreb went pretty far with 1.2 Ghz and standard omnis. I plan on trying my 1.3 Ghz but need a filter for the 2,4 ghz radio though.

Its pretty easy to try your equipement on a car. I'd give it a try before buying anything else. Low cost experimenting is fun, and even close to you there is a lot to explore with a surface vehicle
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member