SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2014, 12:00 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
It's certainly not perfect but it'll look good from a 1/4 mile away.. That said with this being my first go at all this glassing, priming, filling and painting I've certainly learned a lot that I'll be able to apply on the next go around and I figure that's the reason for trying new things.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:44 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
Top of the wing in first coat of primer.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 01:16 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,524 Posts
You have a challenging finish choice, that metalizer is great but it will show every little surface issue . After it is buffed and sealed it will look like real metal.

When you add how much each little Testor's bottle holds that paint is over $100 per gallon.....

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Aug 04, 2014, 08:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
No doubt about that. Once the metalizer started going on I got humbled a bit after thinking all the sanding and filling from the wood on up was as close to perfect as I could get. I need to reevaluate that.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 10:40 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsymonds View Post
No doubt about that. Once the metalizer started going on I got humbled a bit after thinking all the sanding and filling from the wood on up was as close to perfect as I could get. I need to reevaluate that.
That the one reason I prefer iron on covering...
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Aug 04, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
I've just always hated covering though I've gotten relatively good at it over the years. I always wanted to try my hand at glass and paint and figured I'd better just dive in and give it a go. It's definitely a lot of work I've found but every expert was once a beginner. I'll keep at it and try and refine the art but I'm certainly not getting rid of all my covering irons that's for sure.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:08 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,192 Posts
It looks fantastic, that for sure. For me though, I just don't have the time to invest in that much work.

I've wondered how well a tailors tracing wheel would do for making rivet panel lines.
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Aug 04, 2014, 03:12 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsymonds View Post
I've just always hated covering though I've gotten relatively good at it over the years. I always wanted to try my hand at glass and paint and figured I'd better just dive in and give it a go. It's definitely a lot of work I've found but every expert was once a beginner. I'll keep at it and try and refine the art but I'm certainly not getting rid of all my covering irons that's for sure.
I agree with the choice to paint. Here is why: Every time I use iron on covering it bubbles peels of and shrinks away from seams. It looks pretty good for a while and then gets worse and worse. It is just the nature of silver paints to show everything. You can always re-prime or glaze an area that is bothering you.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Aug 04, 2014, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
It looks fantastic, that for sure. For me though, I just don't have the time to invest in that much work.

I've wondered how well a tailors tracing wheel would do for making rivet panel lines.
Thanks Zeke. As far as the wheel I've actually wondered about that as well but haven't ever heard of it being done. Maybe it would be worth doing up a test piece with glass and primer and giving it a try sometime. Only things I think would be issues would be spacing depending on Cale and the fact that all the wheel can do is make impressions which would be backwards for raised rivets and not really representative of a flush rivet circle. Who knows though. It might work for a sport type plane that won't be on a judging table. I doubt that from more than a couple of feet away anyone could tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I agree with the choice to paint. Here is why: Every time I use iron on covering it bubbles peels of and shrinks away from seams. It looks pretty good for a while and then gets worse and worse. It is just the nature of silver paints to show everything. You can always re-prime or glaze an area that is bothering you.

Dave
That's one of the big reasons I've never liked coverings much. In addition to the pain of application usually it doesn't matter how good it comes out because the first time it's in the sun it ends up looking like a raisin. I'll likely touch it up later on.
Last edited by tsymonds; Aug 04, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 03:50 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,048 Posts
man its looking awesome!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 04, 2014, 05:27 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,501 Posts
The tailor's wheel trick (I believe its called a Dritz wheel) was done years ago. I don't remember who but I can vaguely remember an article in RCM many years ago. But it was done on Monocote and was OK as long as you didn't look too closely. Not sure how it would work with a painted surface.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971