HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2013, 11:48 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospreyman View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. From what you are saying, that could work. It has to be worth a try
No problem I didn't really explain in detail what I was thinking.

About the pitch problem with forward swept arms. I'm adding a CC3D stabiliser to a fairly unstable pizza box style plane. The only experience I have with stabiliser is AS3X in the microfoamies. Other more advanced stabilisers such as CC3D, KK2 (mush less expensive,) and Revolution (much more expensive) have *tons* more adjustability/tuneability. It's likely that one of these can 'add more stabilisation as arms move forward where it gets less stable.' When the arms are back it's more stable and wants less stabilisation so it doesn't get to feeling mushy. As arms move forward it can correct the pitch-up habit by adding elevator-down.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2013, 08:48 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
I have no experience of CC3d or KK2 but I shall look into it . Sounds promising
Ospreyman is offline Find More Posts by Ospreyman
Old Oct 09, 2013, 11:31 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
I have no experience of CC3d or KK2 but I shall look into it . Sounds promising
Also Ardupilot comes to mind.

For a -micro- flyguy, with 4.7g servos in the arms, I'll bet an AS3X scavenged from a brushless UM foamie could do it. OK now that one's really got me thinking. LOL!! I didn't like the idea of microflyguy because they're already so inherently unstable, but stabiliser would help tons and might make it doable, swing arms or not. I have too many potatoes on my plate though to do anything soon.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,367 Posts
My 23" flyguy (Mr. Incredible) is not unstable at all.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 10, 2013, 03:40 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,298 Posts
The short, inglorious maiden of my tiny FlyGuy...

31" RC Flyguy - A short, flawed maiden flight (1 min 8 sec)
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
The short, inglorious maiden of my tiny FlyGuy...

http://youtu.be/bjcpoNmAlO8
You aren't the first to lose your head........ Rub some glue on it and get back in the air. He looked great.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 06:50 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
You are dead right Otto, Head plants are all too common in the early stages. But Glue 'em back together and fly 'em again.

Just thought I would update you guys on what I have been doing lately with Flyguys.
First I built the Flyguy 62" v1 from plans. Then I redrew the 31" and came up with Wonder-woman followed swiftly by Batman, Rocketeer and Spidey.

You will notice I have taken a bit of a liberty with the 31" models . I have given them all all-moving legs. I must admit they are are far more maneuverable than the 62, able to do vertical twinkle rolls, tight loops and almost hovering. There is a lot more control surface in the prop wash with this adaptation and they are ROCKING. Batman had the servos mounted on top of the body plate just behind the prop. The others have the servos mounted below the body plate.

No vid yet as I fly alone quite a lot but soon hopefully
Last edited by Ospreyman; Oct 11, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:29 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Are you swinging wings though? I find all the flyguys very stable once the cg and throws are set correctly
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,740 Posts
Quote:
You are dead right Otto, Head plants are all too common in the early stages. But Glue 'em back together and fly 'em again.

Just thought I would update you guys on what I have been doing lately with Flyguys.
First I built the Flyguy 62" v1 from plans. Then I redrew the 31" and came up with Wonder-woman followed swiftly by Batman, Rocketeer and Spidey.

You will notice I have taken a bit of a liberty with the 31" models . I have given them all all-moving legs. I must admit they are are far more maneuverable than the 62, able to do vertical twinkle rolls, tight loops and almost hovering. There is a lot more control surface in the prop wash with this adaptation and they are ROCKING. Batman had the servos mounted on top of the body plate just behind the prop. The others have the servos mounted below the body plate.

Wow... Nice paint jobs! Thank you for the leg info. Your house must look a lot like mine. Do you have any video to share? Would love to see them in the air.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
no video yet Otto but i'm working on it. By the way the paint is all artist's acrylic brushed on . Spidey's webs are water based silver pentel
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:26 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Yep I definitely should not have said what I did that way, and I apologise for the implied insult to the aircraft and the designer. With correct balance, throws, expos and finesse it flies fine.

It's adding surface area in front of the CG/CL area with the swingwing that adds a ton of pitch sensitivity. (Not so bad at slower speeds though so that helps.) I found that out recently with a scratch designed PBF.

A further goal would be to swing the arms to a full forward 'Superman style' position. More like Superpitch sensitive. LOL!! A stabiliser would help with that for sure.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:30 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Are you -sure- don't don't need a hobby?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Whaddya mean Hobby?it's an OBSESSION
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:53 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Whaddya mean Hobby?it's an OBSESSION
Certainly. Thank you for making my point.

Rephrased, are you sure you *don't* need a hobby? Never mind, same answer anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:15 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,367 Posts
Quote:

Have you seen the german variant (Flyman?) with legs that bed at the knee? He has some overlaps so you don't see a gap when the legs bend. Think it's the one with the prop on the top of the head too if that helps.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss