HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jlk69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:18 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
857 Posts
Discussion
mCP X

Here are a couple of pictures of my mCP X Rx. While soldering the signal wire for the ESC to the motor fet I think I got the fet just to right too hot and now I can't bind Rx with Tx. After plugging in battery I do not get the slow blink of the blue light but only a fast blink. Hold the boat, got it to bind with another battery but looks like the motor was bad all along. However I will do more tests and report back my findings.
jlk69 is offline Find More Posts by jlk69
Last edited by jlk69; Jul 09, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:58 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
I think you got the proper solder point on the resistor for your V1 board. Make sure it's not touching the leg of the FET. And that little capacitor to the right makes me a bit nervous.

Happy that your RX is still good though.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
857 Posts
mcpx

I messed up my v1 3in1 trying to solder on signal wire to motor fet for BL conversion.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
Care to elaborate? What's wrong?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
857 Posts
The signal wire came off a few times (should have sealed it with silicon) and when trying to solder it back on the fet must have got too hot and came off. Now when throttle is applied nothing happens. When I first got the signal wire soldered on I checked and got the motor to spool up. (BTW I attached tail motor to main motor connector to double check but no luck) Is there another way to get a signal for a ESC? Is this the same fet that blows when you have a motor problem? I have heard of people saying that they want a 3in1 with a blown motor fet to use for a BL conversion.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
With brushless, you don't need the FET. Cuz you just need the signal. The Brushless ESC has the FETs that is responsible for controlling power to the motor.

However, of that FET you burned up is for the tail, and you are running regular brushed tail. Then you need to fix the problem.

New FETs are easy to get and replace. You can even use the main motor FET for the tail motor. The thing that worries me is that you say the tail motor connected to the main still didn't work.

Perhaps you want to let me have a looksee at your mCPX.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
With brushless, you don't need the FET. Cuz you just need the signal. The Brushless ESC has the FETs that is responsible for controlling power to the motor.

However, of that FET you burned up is for the tail, and you are running regular brushed tail. Then you need to fix the problem.

New FETs are easy to get and replace. You can even use the main motor FET for the tail motor. The thing that worries me is that you say the tail motor connected to the main still didn't work.

Perhaps you want to let me have a looksee at your mCPX.
I can sure do that as I just bought another v1 3in1 on eBay for $48. The tail motor runs fine when plugged into the tail plug. I tried plugging it into the main motor plug for trouble shooting purposes. (Previously had tail plugged into main motor plug when I was trouble shooting the ESC/main motor and tail ran just fine.) I am going to use the plug'n'play Oversky 10A ESC and CO5 motor with the 3in1 I bought on eBay. Hopefully you might be able to breath some life into the 3in1 that I messed up. If so I might buy Evan's HP05S and build another more powerful duel BL mcpX. (P.S. Where do you solder the signal wire to if the fet is gone?)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
I don't think you need the FET to be working to get the signal you need. The signal is intercepted before it goes into the FET. It's probably the resistor that you soldered to that is bad, and thus no signal.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
It's probably the resistor that you soldered to that is bad, and thus no signal.
Ok, I thought that was the fet. How hard is it to replace that resistor?