HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:53 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKIRK View Post
Does any component in this radio require more than 5 volts? If not, then why the 12 volt battery?
No , but some external ones may. the Connection with the balancer plug avoids users plugging in reversed, ruining their radio. The protection circuitry in the (unfortunately, not available yet) "9XR" special, avoids problems with LIPO batteries. if the new TX really has a switched voltage regulator as suggested elsewhere, it will also provide longer running times.
The battery cutoff in the modified ER9X soft can be modified by the user, so if nothing inside needs more then 5V in this version, I suppose you could use 2S eventually, but you would need some soldering ....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:57 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
I do not think not having the circuit will save your model, voltage tends to go down very fast when the battery is nearly empty. Besides, with your voice warning you'd be landing well before that , would you not?
one more failure point. don't really need it.. No batteries cuttof for me.. And no protected cells too..

The alarm on the video is not the low battery alarm. It is the inactivity alarm. if you don't move the sticks for a user defined period of time, the alarm goes off. The 9XR with the er9x fw has this alarm, the only difference is that it doesn't sound near as cool or loud as mine it's just a beeper..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
Seeing as how big the battery space is and there is a new board in the center under the module bay, it is more concerning that there is a lot less room for mods like the FrSky telemetry mod.
Yeah, it looks like there isn't much space in it, for the voice mod for example. The sound module on my 9x is at the top of the radio screwed to the 2 unused gimbal screw posts. Seems that the 9xr has no space left there for anything.
I think it will be also pretty difficult to place something over the main board as well.
Speaking for myself and after experiencing flying with telemetry and audio together, I can't just go back to not having it.
Also many people use another RF module inside their 9x. It looks rather difficult to do it with this radio.. But I've been only looking at pictures, so there's no way of knowing how much space is in there..
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:34 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Yeah, it looks like there isn't much space in it, for the voice mod for example...

Also many people use another RF module inside their 9x. It looks rather difficult to do it with this radio.. But I've been only looking at pictures, so there's no way of knowing how much space is in there..
I plan on putting at least one RF module inside the transmitter case. Either FlySky or DSM. The Orange module has or had issues and I really like model match so I'll probably install a DSM2/DSMX module from a DX4e. I think there is enough space in the case to install a module from a DX4e in there. The good news is it will be easy to add an additional antenna in the handle, and now that I see how they have done it, it will be easy to put the same antenna setup inside the the external module. I think I can do the mods without the need to add any external antennas.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:36 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,671 Posts
I would try to keep more separation between the two antenna.
For sure no part of either one must touch the other.

In any case, do some range checking with them apart and close to see of it has any effect.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,264 Posts
Is model match going to work, even if you use a spektrum module? It doesn't seem that the spektrum module would have any way to know which model you have chosen on the radio.

Does anyone know if it is safe to turn on your radio without a module? I don't want to burn anything out, but I'll have my radio well before having the module for it. And of course I am going to want to turn it on!
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:42 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
Does anyone know if it is safe to turn on your radio without a module? I don't want to burn anything out, but I'll have my radio well before having the module for it. And of course I am going to want to turn it on!
Yes it is safe.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:44 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Is model match going to work, even if you use a spektrum module? It doesn't seem that the spektrum module would have any way to know which model you have chosen on the radio.

I can't remember model match being mentioned in the description but it more than likely won't work at all because this requires a two way connection and most module (bar telemetry enabled ones) have this

I have no real idea but running it without a module should be safe unless you make a short circuit inside the module bay.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:44 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
pmackenzie knows quite a bit about this. He can probably answer your question better than me.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,671 Posts
Quote:
Genuine Spektrum DM9 module - no model match.

It is possible that HK will have made their module capable of utilizing both PPM and the serial data format that the BNF modules use.
ER9X has built in support for this serial format and that does support model match.

But this is speculation. based on what is possible. And seeing what they have done with the internals of the 9XR it does not look like they have aimed particularly high.

If you want model match and DSM2/DSMX then it is already possible with a bit of work by taking the module from a DX4e, but this limits you to 6 channels.

At present ER9X only puts out 6 channels in serial format, but if it turns out that the HK module does accept the serial data then adding more channels will not be much work.
I had it up to 12 channels in testing, but the DX4e module simply ignored anything above 6.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,396 Posts
you will have model match if you mod the radio to work with a spektrum module taken from a spektrum radio.. er9x is prepared for that thanks to Pat.
Not with the HK modules as they use PPM.

Also, reading the pictures from the manual that comes with the radio and were posted here, and looking at point 7 of the binding section:

"The receiver is now bound to the unique ID of your module."

Then it says that you can change the GUID by pressing the ID button if you find that your system clashes with another brand in the market.

I can see a little contradiction in here as it seems that the ID is not that unique then...

And how do you know that the module is clashing with someone elses system without shooting him/her down? do we have to go to all the other spektrum users at the field and ask them if we could make a test? next thing happening is the radio being not allowed to be used because people will be afraid to be shot down by it.
I will be very surprised if this system will ever be certified unless they provide a REAL unique ID per module.. this changing/lack of unique ID is just too dangerous. sooner or later even if it is very unlikely to happen as everybody seem to believe, it will happen, due to the huge amount of units that will sell for sure..

But of course this is just my opinion, and I know I will be accused of being a troll and anti HK or whatever.. Well that is not the case, not at all.
I am PRO safety and wouldn't like to read that someone got hurt in a very unlikely situation..
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,671 Posts
The information is out there now so HK/Orange can get rid of the "change ID" button and implement proper GUID. Hopefully they will take advantage of this.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:23 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,396 Posts
Hopefully they do it, that would be a great improvement..
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
you will have model match if you mod the radio to work with a spektrum module taken from a spektrum radio.. er9x is prepared for that thanks to Pat.
Not with the HK modules as they use PPM.

Also, reading the pictures from the manual that comes with the radio and were posted here, and looking at point 7 of the binding section:

Then it says that you can change the GUID by pressing the ID button if you find that your system clashes with another brand in the market.

I can see a little contradiction in here as it seems that the ID is not that unique then...

And how do you know that the module is clashing with someone elses system without shooting him/her down? do we have to go to all the other spektrum users at the field and ask them if we could make a test? next thing happening is the radio being not allowed to be used because people will be afraid to be shot down by it.
I will be very surprised if this system will ever be certified unless they provide a REAL unique ID per module.. this changing/lack of unique ID is just too dangerous. sooner or later even if it is very unlikely to happen as everybody seem to believe, it will happen, due to the huge amount of units that will sell for sure..

But of course this is just my opinion, and I know I will be accused of being a troll and anti HK or whatever.. Well that is not the case, not at all.
I am PRO safety and wouldn't like to read that someone got hurt in a very unlikely situation..
I don't think the button is there because they copied the GUID from another Tx but Horizon Hobby ( and in extension JR/Spektrum) have not released a list of used GUIDs (for obvious reasons).

So it is just an anti-lawsuit/class-action tool just in case of a clash. But this is very slim, 1 in 2^256 or 1 in 1.15*10^77 (if the GUID is 32 bytes).

But also, they would have an idea what codes not to use. There would be more than one byte in the GUID that remains unchanged over the entire Spektrum system. And it wouldn't be hard to find, just take a look at 20 different Tx GUIDs from different factories (I heard the GUID is on based where it is made).

So the 'Change GUID' button is merely just to cover their backsides.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:38 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
...reading the pictures from the manual that comes with the radio and were posted here, and looking at point 7 of the binding section:

According to HK's website for the Orange TX module.

"Module uses a unique Global ID for binding. In case of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module (5 ID's assigned to each module)."

Remember they have probably just reverse engineered Spectrum. I really doubt Horizon Hobby shared their code with them.