SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:55 AM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
6 flights on my FMS T28 v2. Stock setup 2s 1300 mah 30 c batteries
This plane is really nice to fly in minimal wind.
Touch n goes are so easy, it's not even funny!
I'm going to try and get some video next time out.
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:33 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDeflection View Post
Congrats!

My maiden didn't go as well since I missed my 6' wide runway, ran into the grass, and snapped the thin plastic on the nose gear pivot - what a hairbrained design!!!

Hand launched flights thereafter were just marvelous using both 2S and 3S (wow!!), along with a Lemon stabilized receiver. That little Lemon gem is amazing in how well it keeps the bird tracking down the runway (did several hi speed taxi test before losing the nose gear). Also helps the hand launches, and being able to tune stabilization down in flight was great in doing overspeed 3S passes, where the ailerons started to work overtime!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:17 AM
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
Sorry to hear about the nosewheel on maiden .
Looking over the model when I got it I was concerned about the nosewheel,luckily it's been holding up.
Landings have been sweet though.
Last edited by MaximumDeflection; Aug 15, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 07:05 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Freehold
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
800mm T 28 front yard driveway landing (3 min 9 sec)

Decided to take a chance and try to land it on my driveway. Had successful done some belly landings on the front grass.
Lodolceinc is offline Find More Posts by Lodolceinc
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2014
15 Posts
Nose Wheel

If your front nose wheel is wobbly, it is because either you didn't tighten the nose wheel onto the metal piece or the nose piece wasn't screwed in tight enough at the factory. To screw the metal piece that holds in the nose wheel in tighter, you'll have to take your hex wrench and screw it tighter, while holding down the plastic cowl. My nose wheel came off and this is what I had to do. I hope this helps!
Carkshark is offline Find More Posts by Carkshark
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2014
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDeflection View Post
6 flights on my FMS T28 v2. Stock setup 2s 1300 mah 30 c batteries
This plane is really nice to fly in minimal wind.
I'm going to try and get some video next time out.
How many minutes did you get with the 1300mah 2s battery? I'm afraid to fly mine past 4 minutes with my 1000mah 2s batteries because my 800mm spitfire's motor cut out at 4 minutes with a 1000mah 2s battery.
Carkshark is offline Find More Posts by Carkshark
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:18 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodolceinc View Post
http://youtu.be/IatmV0HTlYQ

Decided to take a chance and try to land it on my driveway. Had successful done some belly landings on the front grass.
Great flying, and video!
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
To be honest I dont time my flights.
When I feel it getting a little sluggish I might do another lap and bring it in.
If I had to guess id say about 5 to 6 min.
Had 3 more flights today , wind was blowing a little more than previous flights I had and I felt the difference with the way it handled.
I might try a 1500 2s to get a little more flight time and I think it could use the little extra weight.
Last edited by MaximumDeflection; Aug 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:57 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
684 Posts
I flew mine stock with 2S for a while, but several times, being used to floaty park flyers and this being my first non UMX warbird, would sometimes stall it at hand launch because I wasn't used to giving that much throttle and it would fall out of the sky with anything under half.

So, I went to 3S. much easier for me. I didn't want a faster plane, I had trouble keeping track of it as it was with 2S. But needed to be able to fly with lift at half throttle. After some flights with 3S, one day, it fluttered like one of the servos went bad, and then just fell out of the sky, breaking the wing, breaking a servo (Rudder because of nose wheel strike)

At the time I thought it was an aleron servo. Because the servo was locked in the down position (just the left side) after retrieving from the crash site.

But getting it back together, plugging in power. The aleron servo centered. So, I thought, no problem.

Well, again, I lost control suddenly and the plane was flying like I wasn't even controlling it. Momentarily. Almost lost it in a patch of trees as it dissapeared over the horizon, out of view! I was able to yank and go full power. It appeared in the sky. Getting it back was tough. It was further out than I usually fly and orientation was difficult. And it seemed to be way more work to fly... But I landed.

Ever since then, I have been somewhat affraid to fly it. Several of the fields that I fly at have houses and people nearby. I checked the plane over. No problems noticible.

Then the other morning, I decided to try her out again. I could take this hiatus with this amazing model no more...

I plugged in the battery, I saw the ailerons deflect fully as in an extreme right bank, but no ESC tones. I can see lights on the Orange 6CH Rx. This was with 3S 1000mah. I went to another battery. 2S 1000mah. Same thing. Only lights on the Rx.

So, it looks like I fried the ESC. Good to know now that it's on the ground. But could that have been the problem all along? Overpowering the 20 amp with 3S 1000mah??

I don't remember anyone having issues with this V2 20 amp with that rating...

But I have a 35 Amp that I am installing today.

Sorry for the long post. Probobly my longest story ever...

I guess I needed to get it off my chest. lol!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
Have you by any chance checked how many amps your pulling?If your running 3s I would definitely upgrade the esc to 30 or 35 amper off the bat.
I've opened up a hole in the fake radial for more cooling as well.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:15 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,470 Posts
thosmosis - sounds like something shorting out there. I had an Orange RX wig out on me and it was the problem. It was acting the same way as you described with the ailerons. I ended up replacing the RX with a new one and the problem went away.

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:25 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
684 Posts
It's just that these two flights that I had trouble with were so random. But I never did check the AMP draw. Should have. But I rarely use much power. Seldom full. Not into acrobatics, unless I am trying to bail out of a "almost lost my plane" situation.

If I continue to have problems after replacing the 20 amp ESC, I'll look to the Orange Rx. But if it is the Rx. It happens for only a second. Losing contact. Then regains. It's actually not acting like I have no control. Just that something isn't working the way it's supposed to. Motor cutting out, or something.

Will keep you posted if I get to try it out before the monsoon -- er, rainy -- season comes...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 04:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
thosmosis - sounds like something shorting out there. I had an Orange RX wig out on me and it was the problem. It was acting the same way as you described with the ailerons. I ended up replacing the RX with a new one and the problem went away.

Kman
I second that, I think the Orange Rx could be your problem. I have been using Orange stability Rx on my T28 and yesterday it wigged out on me and I lost control for a few seconds. Luckily it was high enough to avoid disaster. I earlier lost another plane with Orange Rx so it is no cooincidence. I have had better luck with the Lemon Rx (use superior DSMX vs. DSM2 protocol). I am grounding my T28 until a new Lemon Rx arrives.

Secondly, yes definitely upgrade to a 30A ESC. I have always run 30A since I went to 3s and stability Rx. Peak power with 7x6 prop is about 23A so no way your stock ESC will handle that. My 30A ESC gets pretty darn hot when I fly this plane.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone