HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:35 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Rant
Lost my plane

Just lost my Easystar.

Was flying with a patch antenna on 1.3ghz, i flew out to about 2 km, and t hen i turned back. As soon as i turned back video started getting fuzzy and then went to static. I turned on my DOSD RTH and it flew back a little and video came back so i turned it off. A few seconds later i lost video again and hit my RTH.

This time RTH didnt work and i began spiraling towards the ground which i could see through brief glimpses of very bad video. I tried to regain control manually but i just couldnt see well enough to control.

Lost video at about 200m altitude and 1.5km away. I looked for 2 hours but didnt find anything.

In total lost about $450
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
I am sorry about your loss, I really hope you find your plane. I still think a GSM GPS tracker is always a must on every single FPV plane.

Really hope you find it!
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:54 PM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Sorry, hope you find it don`t give up.
Why RTh didn`t work the second time?.
Any ideas?.
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:26 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
Last edited by kyle7119; Jul 29, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:46 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,212 Posts
Sorry to hear. DOSD RTH is pretty reliable...always has been for me. Any possibility you entered Menu mode vs RTH mode...that would explain no RTH function. Other's have done similar...like launching in Menu mode only to watch the plane quickly come back down after launch.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,398 Posts
Sorry to hear that Sounds like you got hammered by multipathing on a weak signal. It's happened to the best of us. Did you by chance record the flight? If so I'm sure we could do an online hunt for it.

If it didn't hit hard enough to lose the battery, then maybe it's still transmitting? Get back to the site of the crash and turn your RX on. If you don't have the GPS coordinates on screen you can do an RSSI hunt for it. Put the patch antenna against your body and spin with a voltmeter reading your RX RSSI pin. Where the RSSI is strongest, start walking. Go about 100 yards and repeat. This should get you fairly close to the airplane.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,583 Posts
Sad news...
Any gs recordings?
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,398 Posts
To soften the blow - a new antenna system - Free

It sucks to lose a plane. I have had that feeling of dread looking for a lost plane that I may never find it, but always have come back home with the same number of planes I left with.

I tell you what - To soften the blow this does, I'll send you a new antenna system that will keep this from happening again - Free. If you PM me tonight, I will have it in the mail tomorrow morning. It's the least I can do.

Attached is a picture of the antennas. Both are left hand circularly polarized and will resist multipathing much better than your patch antenna. That should keep this from happening again.

If you want, I'll also fix that patch antenna for you too. They are actually tuned to resonate at 1145 MHz, not 1280MHz and take a simple modification to put it right at your 1280 MHz frequency. It takes me all of 3 minutes to do the modification once I get the case opened.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,583 Posts
⇈that is a very kind offer, beginner4life this should help you alot.

n1 Alex.
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaZ View Post
I am sorry about your loss, I really hope you find your plane. I still think a GSM GPS tracker is always a must on every single FPV plane.

Really hope you find it!
Do those GPS trackers require a subscription to a service?? I'm seeing them pretty cheap on ebay
Drednox is offline Find More Posts by Drednox
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:56 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednox View Post
Do those GPS trackers require a subscription to a service?? I'm seeing them pretty cheap on ebay
Some do, some don't. There are some that are simply pay per message, so you'd
pay nothing at all until you need it, then spend a buck or so to find your plane.

BTW, this type of loss of video is not all that uncommon. The video signal looks great while flying away, and sucks
when you turn straight toward home. Often because Tx antenna is blocked by onboard gear, or is at least
multi-pathing off it, sometimes because the Tx antenna is tilted back a little. The lessons to learn from it, are
1. while flying away to some great distance, stop and make a 360 turn every so often to test both your video and
control signals.
2. Don't assume that you'll be able to fly straight home and plan accordingly. Sometimes you'll turn around discover
the video signal is bad, so just simply turn a few degrees away from pointing straight home, until the video quality
improves, and keep flying that way until you can turn straight home, or just zig zag a little the whole
way back.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 20, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:59 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Guys like IBCrazy make FPV world a better place to be
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:04 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
I put the video transmitter and antenna out on the wing tip to to help keep the fuselage from blocking the signal when I'm heading home.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,471 Posts
I've only really had problems coming home when my video tx was mounted only
3 inches or so behind my flight camera and servos. On the tail of my Skywalker at
same level as flight camera, P&T servos and motor, no problems at all. I think it's
mostly a matter of separation. Put it far enough back, and the angle of
potential blockage is much smaller. I don't like putting anything on my
wings, because they must be removable.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
I arealdy lost video signal too in the city, more less 500m away, i found my skywaler after drive car for 90 minutes with my ground station and antenna, searching better signal.
After crash my skywalker continued transmitting video.
Try make it if possible.
Video:
FPV Crash in the city - desastre aéreo em Campos dos Goytacazes - RJ (mayday !) Skywalker (3 min 13 sec)
felipesalomao is offline Find More Posts by felipesalomao