HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:26 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
Help!
GForce LIPO Batteries

Has any one heard anything about GForce LIPO batteries, Value Hobby seems to have a pretty good price. Someone said they were actually Zippy's inside the shrink wrap
Thanks in advance,
Mike

http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=3
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Last edited by Hossinarizona; Nov 12, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:16 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Well I don't know about them being Zippy's, b ut G Force batteries from Value Hobby is mainly what I have been using for the past year & a half and have never had a bad battery from them. I average about 6 months use out of them before weeding them out and replacing them with new ones. It's not that they don't hold a charge after 6 months and better than 75 cycles on them. It's just they start to feel a little spoungy so with them being dirt cheap, I just replace them after 6 months regardless.

I have like 10 of their 3s 25c 1800's now. I used to buy Zippy's from Hobbyking, but by the time I pay for shipping from China, these are a steal.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:30 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Someone said they were actually Zippy's inside the shrink wrap
Thanks in advance,
Mike

http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=3
I read they are made with Long Max cells, which aways back were the best of the China cells.

I have (2) of the 4S1P 2250 packs and that are doing OK,,, just a bit on the heavy side though.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
295 Posts
I bought two GeForce batteries about 6 months ago and they have been the worst batteries I have used. They get puffy and lose their charging capacity. I have had much better results with Blue and Zippy batteries that have been run along side them. My blue and zippy lipos were 25c while my GeForce were 30c and the GeForce puffed.
Keep in mind that I dont baby my batteries and run them down until the heli cant really fly anymore.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,726 Posts
Quote:
I bought two GeForce batteries about 6 months ago and they have been the worst batteries I have used. They get puffy and lose their charging capacity.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I dont baby my batteries and run them down until the heli cant really fly anymore.
First off I do not have any G Force Lipolys,never even seen one in person however to me this comment makes the G Force Lipolys seem beter than the others it was compared to.

Most are unaware that a Lipolys which has the ability to delivier more of its' capacity under a load is in fact easier to damage by such mis use. Limit discharge to 80% of capacity and they will last, discharge them till aircraft is not flyable and they die early.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
United States, AR, Mountain Home
Joined Jan 2008
207 Posts
I have elevan of the G-Force packs, some are three cell and some are four. half of them are two years old and still doing well. I don't fly all that much maybe twice a week through out the summer.
I don't have any negative comments on these at all and will buy more of them.
clint mclaugh is offline Find More Posts by clint mclaugh
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:33 PM
St. Charles, IL
Joined Nov 2002
64 Posts
I have several GForce packs, I push them regularly to their 20c capacity and have never had an issue with them
william g is offline Find More Posts by william g
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:45 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,465 Posts
Can the 30C gforce lipos be charged at 2C? Has anyone charged them at 2C over a several month period with ok results?

I have a 25C 4 cell gforce lipo that has alot of miles on it and it's still in great condition. I use it in a kyosho starter box for RC nitro cars. The label says charge at 1C which I do.

I noticed Lipos made to be charged at 2C or more have two layers of shrink wrap. When you look at the end of the lipo there is a hole in the outer shrink wrap and if you can see individual silver cells and spacers then that's the old style 1C charge rate battery. The new 2C charge rate lipos will usually have another white plastic sheath (covering the inner silver cells) under the outer shrink wrap.

If the 30C gforce are made to be charged at 2C they are the best priced such batteries I've seen. I can't tell from the pictures on their website and they do not advertize the 2C charging ability which makes me doubt it.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:12 AM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
NOTAR 600,
I have two 3S 1800 30C with about 15-20 cycles on each. They have both been charged at 2C since day one and I have yet to notice any decrease in peformance and no visable puffines whatsoever.
I charge all my lipos @ 2C with no ill effects, your milage may vary
ACKopter is offline Find More Posts by ACKopter
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:00 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,465 Posts
ACKopter, thanks for the info. I might get some.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:07 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I would just recommend to make sure you're balance charging them, especially when charging them at a faster rate than they recommend.

I generally prefer to parallel balance charge multiple packs rather than fast charging them.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:35 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
[QUOTE=Wrend;16687216]I would just recommend to make sure you're balance charging them, especially when charging them at a faster rate than they recommend.

This is probably good advice and will certainly not hurt. With that said it is prudent for me to add that I do balance on every charge.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:27 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,465 Posts
I always balance charge. I was wondering if it is a chemistry thing and/or advanced manufacturing technique that made 30C and higher discharge rates possible. And since they can discharge rapidly does this then necessarily mean they can recharge faster without hazard too?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:56 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
I always balance charge. I was wondering if it is a chemistry thing and/or advanced manufacturing technique that made 30C and higher discharge rates possible. And since they can discharge rapidly does this then necessarily mean they can recharge faster without hazard too?

I'm probably the last person to ask as I have no technical knowledge of lipo's but IMO yes. I charge even my cheapest/oldest/puffed batteries at 2C and have never seen any of them get warm or give any indication of problems under charge. Not being in the hobby that long my best guess is the truly older technology lipo's may be probelmatic at charge rates greater than 1C and todays current crop are more than able to handle it, however, I honestly dont know and can only assume.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck986 View Post
I bought two GeForce batteries about 6 months ago and they have been the worst batteries I have used. They get puffy and lose their charging capacity. I have had much better results with Blue and Zippy batteries that have been run along side them. My blue and zippy lipos were 25c while my GeForce were 30c and the GeForce puffed.
I can't believe they lasted 6 months being treated like that. I don't believe they would last much more than 6 cycles with that abuse. They must be some miracle batteries.
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier