SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:05 PM
USA, VA, Amissville
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
Question
American Beauty Riverboat by Dumas

I have been toying with the idea of building the American Beauty. I hesitate only because of a few negative comments I read about the quality of their kit. Some seem to think that the parts are substandard.

Do any of you have first hand information about this particular model?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

~<:Sssssssssssssssnake/""
Zsnake is offline Find More Posts by Zsnake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
I scrapped all the wood in mine and ended up giving the hull to Karl to work with. I felt it wasd a waste of money. I decided to stay with scratch building cause I find it easier.
Check out some of my models at http://towboatjoe.com
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:54 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Joe, I still have that fiberglass hull, but am not sure what to do with it. I was thinking of sending it back to you, so maybe you could sell it to some deserving soul who wants to get a good start on that kit.

If I were to do a large towboat, I'd develop one from the plans you drew, like maybe the American Viking---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:26 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Kap, it seems to be a pretty popular boat along with a few others.

I've got one that I really love that I want to build in 1:32 would be 30 3/4 inches long. Heres some photos of it. It has a model bow. Boat is 115' x 28'

I would like to modify the AB hull bigger for a model of the Cooperative Enterprise. The AB was 170 x 45 the CE is 200 x 54

It's a 10,500hp triple screw. Looks like the AB only bigger.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
USA, VA, Amissville
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
OK, I think that you have made up my mind.

I will NOT pursue the American Beauty.

How about the Vac-U-Tow? Is that a good one to start out on? It seems kinda simplistic to me, but I'm not the speed boat type and the tugs don't do much for me. Now, a nice WWII battleship might be the ticket.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Zsnake is offline Find More Posts by Zsnake
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
The Vac u Tow is a nice beginner boat, I have their Vac u Tug and it is great. Instructions are fantastic. A WWII battleship is also possible, many semi kits out there, but its kinda like running before you learn to walk. I have no idea of your skill level, but take a look at some of the ships available thru www.strikemodels.com or www.battlersconnection.com These ships are meant for battling, but can also be built r/c only.You decide how much or little detail you want to add. Once you get some experience under your belt you could look at the incredible 1/96th ships like offered by www.scaleshipyard.com These are all just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:18 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
i built a couple of the vac-u-tows. They are easy to build and you can leave them simple or detail them to look realistic.

Here's the page where I detailed a vac-u-tow
http://www.towboatjoe.com/vac-u-boat.htm
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:16 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Zsnake I have the model of the AB but havn't started it yet. I must say that it's a rather complex model for a first time effort in that type of modeling but I don't see anything wrong with the kit and I've looked it over very throughly. Maybe Joe got one of the old kits with the fiberglass hull and wasn't happy with it. However you have to take into consideration that Joe is one of the very accomplished modelers on this forum and for him the kit just wasn't the right thing. Scratch builders like to do their own thing with a model and perhaps the Dumas kit just didn't measure up to his expectations.
That doesn't mean the kit isn't a good one. I'm sure that after building the Ab from scratch you would have a lot more money in the model than if you bought the kit.
I just got my AB kit a month or so ago and with all the new laser cutting of the parts you shouldn't have any problem with this kit. You need to make up your own mind about whether or not to buy the AB and you can ask about any other kit on the market and get a similar answer from somebody.
Seems to me that MACK Products has that kit and at a pretty good savings over what Dumas sells it for. I didn't find that out soon enough. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:29 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Pete, you're right I had one of the old kits. The wood was poor and there really wasn't any laser cut parts just blocks and sheets of wood.

Zsnake, i've got photos of the AB where we were running together down in Paducah, KY if you decide to build her.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:15 PM
Yr Draig
Caerphilly,South Wales , U.K.
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
American Beauty

Hi zsnake,
I've built the AB and yes the material was very bad so i used it as templates and made it out of plastic look at my build log below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...merican+beauty

Jenno.
jenno is offline Find More Posts by jenno
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,733 Posts
I don't know what your skill level is but another option is to build from scratch. Towboat Joe has plans on his website for several boats. These are not intricate models to build. The hulls and superstructures are boxy so even a moderately skilled modeler would have no trouble turning out a good boat. Stick to a standard scale and railings and stairs are available.

I did a generic line haul boat on a fiberglass hull one of our club members sells. I had shot video on the Mississippi River and I used Bill Zumwalt's Line Haul plans for reference.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem