Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
My opinion!!

Don't do it
This plane really needs the weight up front or it can get nasty...

Forget prop hanging and use another plane for 3D

Just my opinion, but you did ask!
Tony
Thanks Tony..... Think I agree with you, as it is such a splendid plane in the fwd setup, think I'm just going to exploit the plane for all it's potential like that

I watched this vid not too long ago, and it made me want those lovely torque rolls @ 2min 29ish!!! grrrr......

SEFF 2010 - Introducing the Parkzone Extra 300 (3 min 17 sec)
bannistator is offline Find More Posts by bannistator
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
778 Posts
Sadly I haven't flown mine in a while because I keep having issues unfortunately. It's not the plane, it's me really. hahah.

I can't keep the wings from wiggling in flight. The mounting screw locations are loose, I've glued them back but they keep coming loose so I need to come up with a more solid mount. And I don't want to glue the wings in place.

This morning I went to take it out to the field and the the vertical stab is broken.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Sep 07, 2013, 03:43 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
I can't keep the wings from wiggling in flight. The mounting screw locations are loose, I've glued them back but they keep coming loose so I need to come up with a more solid mount. And I don't want to glue the wings in place.
This was my solution!
I wanted to secure my wing better without glue. The best way ended up being to wedge some balsa between the screw and the fuselage side.
It works very well!!!

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 07, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2011
778 Posts
Lol that's a pretty simple solution. I think i might so the same but under the tabs that the screw goes into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
This was my solution!
I wanted to secure my wing better without glue. The best way ended up being to wedge some balsa between the screw and the fuselage side.
It works very well!!!

Tony
Old Sep 08, 2013, 06:24 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,187 Posts
Took the Extra out this morning.

If anyone was wondering, I strongly advise against using the 12x5,25 Yak 54 Carbon-Z prop It flies, it has good traction and seems good for hovers, but that's about it, the prop definitely hasn't enough pitch to make for a comfortable flight, the Extra needs more speed and is close to stalling at every corner, even in a simple loop it's almost all over itself.

Curious as the 12x6 was a really good prop, I guess 3/4 of an inch DO make a difference

Switched back to the 11x7 now, back to nice dynamic flights as well, this is where this plane shines... Longer flight times and the motor is cool at touch down
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,962 Posts
We had some more 3d oriented flyers that used the apc 11x5.5 and seemed to prefer it. I have not tried it, so can't comment hands on. I just hang in there with the 11x7.

Anybody here got a spare fuselage or even just the nose section with the plastic firewall, they want to get out of there way? Trying to decide which way to go on a rebuild or forget it situation. Dumb thumbed mine a few weeks ago and destroyed the plastic firewall on front of fuse. Rest of fuse good and motor mount is fine (that's what supposed to break), but bent motor shaft. Wings and horiz stab are fine.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
2,870 Posts
I am looking for a aluminum spinner for the 300, Anybody got any info?
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ss
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221 View Post
Yep right here!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...llets-EFLSP175
dlt2859 is offline Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:46 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Hobbyking
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_2_Blade.html

Fitts 4mm shaft.

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:20 PM
I can put anything here?
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
565 Posts
Got my 50A esc in the mail today. Gonna get it mounted up tomorrow and try to fly this weekend.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:42 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
2,870 Posts
thanks guys
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:58 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
2,870 Posts
had my camera on today cruising around and time to land----- tree jumped out in front of it. Don't know whether to rebuild or start again. Receiver, bec, motor, servos, and wheels only thing left. 78 flights on it I was needing a set of wings anyway. Love the plane and going to fly one again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
778 Posts
Well rebuilding is always nice, but like a lot of the time it's just never the same. I just rebuilt this flying wing after throwing it in a corner for months and I've very glad I did.

The extra is a nice plane, but I don't know that I would fly it without it being setup perfect.

Quote:
had my camera on today cruising around and time to land----- tree jumped out in front of it. Don't know whether to rebuild or start again. Receiver, bec, motor, servos, and wheels only thing left. 78 flights on it I was needing a set of wings anyway. Love the plane and going to fly one again.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:42 AM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
2,870 Posts
yeah I know but I will have some parts. I rebuilt a lot of ultra micros cheaper than a new one, but not much diff in price on these bigger planes. Parts little harder to come by also.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:44 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,308 Posts
Quote:
I feel that I may be in the same boat soon

My Extra is very tatty now but still flies great. It is my go to plane for a feelgood
flight and is often my warmup plane to get my thumbs working.

Eventually though it may have to be retired, foam models don't last forever, even when not crashed...

I think when mine gives up I will transplant the guts into a balsa ship. Maybe an Edge?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install