HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2013, 01:27 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Top Gun 90mm Mig-15

Just received the kit from HK... Nearly pooped my pants after opening the box. This has to be one of the worst factory(?) packing jobs I've ever seen in any kit (foamy or balsa)!

I was already fearing how I would deal with the HK CS. Fortunately (and shockingly), as I removed each part slowly and examined them, there was no major damage to any of the parts. Talk about luck.

Anyway, I've got a HET 90mm fan & motor combo for this bad boy. I've used this same setup in an Exceed 90mm F86 and it was superb.

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
739 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about your build and flight reports. I'm considering this one for a future project. I've got the flyfly F4 and F100 and really like them.
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:21 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I see you are in Irvine too

I maidened mine yesterday, seems like a nice flier ...

You are right about the packing not being that great, nevertheless mine had a lot more packing foam stuffed in that huge box.

More pictures of the MiG-15 here on my blog:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2000032&pp=100

Did you ever fly yours?

For now I only have a short video clip of a flyby from yesterday:

MiG-15 90mm HTG flyby (0 min 15 sec)
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Nov 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 03:10 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Herb,

Funny thing, I just gave it away at the field today. Got tired of it sitting in the garage so I just took it to the field and placed it on a table and stated it's free to whoever wants it.

I did fly it a few times several months ago but did not like the way it flew. So it was sitting in the garage all this time until today.

I'd still like to get a good 90mm Mig-15 one of these days. A-RC (Exceed at Nitroplanes.com) makes a really nice scale 90mm F86. Just wish they would come out with a Mig-15...

hk
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I have this mig 15 also and just decided to get started on it. I have a wemo evo fan for it, but also have the change sun 18 blade unit.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Hyper, too bad you sold it ... mine seems like a nice flyer.

Here's the latest video of mine - with takeoff and landing

MiG-15 bis 90mm HTG (1 min 53 sec)
Last edited by Herb; Nov 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:33 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Hi Hyper, too bad you sold it ... mine seems like a nice flyer.

Here's the latest video of mine - with takeoff and landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZHhJQHLRw
Herb,

Yours definitely flies better than mine did. Looks like your power setup and mods you did to the air frame really helps.

hk
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:20 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,118 Posts
The HTG Mig I had flew very well. Probably the easiest flying jet I've owned. Very scale in the air with no bad habits and lands like a trainer. The main fault in this model is the totally inadequate wing center section strength which I corrected in mine with carbon fiber and alloy arrow shaft spars. At high speed the wing tips would oscillate but to fix that would require other mods like fiberglass skin. I just lived with it and never had any problem from it.

Being such a large model, it will never satisfy a speed demon but for scale fliers I think it is perfect and plan to build another in the future.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:00 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,423 Posts
I'm 3/4 the way through building mine. I've glassed the model and I'm covering it with alu tape - hopefully it'll have a nice finish! Mine will be running on a 10S RC Lander fan.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:02 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Hobbyking lists mig 15/17 electric gear as 90-120 size. I had bought a set awhile ago. But.....they are woefully too small for this plane. They would fit a 70mm mig15 tho. Just warning ppl not to buy them thinking they will fit the HTG mig.
I've since ordered 25-46 eflite tricycle gear and will use the kits oleos. kinda bummed because the HK mig retracts have dual struts on the mains which look bad a.s .s
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 19, 2013, 01:12 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
Herb, Yours definitely flies better than mine did. Looks like your power setup and mods you did to the air frame really helps. hk
I had to do a lot of work on the wing, the original design is very weak and originally failed the simplest stress tests ...

I did put three carbon spars through the duct, with balsa fairings. That did not do it.

Then I covered the whole wing bottom with two layers of .75 cloth and laminating epoxy. That did not do it either

I finally added two long spanwise one inch wide carbon cloth strips ... that finally stabilized and stiffened the wing a bit.

Now I can still see that even on some wide full speed turns it is starting to flex a bit ... so I just have to go real easy on that wing

Other than that it's a great flier, very scale and the parts fit is excellent. One of the best FF/HTG designs .

The CG in the instructions seems spot on, it flies perfect at 20cm (as in the video).

Last edited by Herb; Nov 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 03:04 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,423 Posts
Good to know. I've reinforced my wing in the same way and it seems strong enough.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:12 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I had to stiffen up the horiz. stabs as well as they were a bit floppy too ... I added and vacuumbagged a spanwise carbon tape on the bottom, and they are a lot more rigid now.

The fin seemed massive enough so I did not touch that one, at least for now ...

Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:22 AM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,423 Posts
My stabs have just been glassed and seem stiff enough.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Now that the maiden is out of the way, I can start thinking about the flitemetal covering (alu tape form hd). I did some practice on the wing tanks .

The weight of the aluminum finish, with the tape I am using, should not amount more than around 83 grams for the whole MiG-15.

The pictures below should give a nice contrast between the "before" and "after".