HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
Huntington Beach CA
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
Discussion
Covering foamies with clear (to preserve the existing paint or decals)

I am looking to cover my Trojan T-28 (and maybe some others later) with some type of laminate to add strength. I am familiar with the packing tape method but would like something a bit nicer looking. I have read many threads on covering foam planes with the various "kote" products and the consensus seems to be that Monokote sets at too high a temp. The others (e.g. Econokote, Towercoat, UltraCote, etc) seem to be preferred. However I am running into difficulty finding clear film. I have only found Hanger9 UltraCote to have clear, but only 6-ft rolls.

I'd like to hear any thoughts or suggestions on the best material to use, keeping in mind that I am not looking to add color (e.g. I have a Hawker Hurricane that might like some "clear coat" for added strength too).
socalsteve is offline Find More Posts by socalsteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:28 PM
CowPieAvoidanceExpert
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
I have too much work to do to respond correctly, but look at Black Baron Trim Film, Ultra lite or something? Lo temp for foam, I think best could be the poly-thane, it can be thinned and is light, spray cans unless warmed are iffy.....more later...
P51pitbull is offline Find More Posts by P51pitbull