HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Discussion
I need help choosing a BEC

Hi guys,
I'm new to this level of RC work and I need help choosing a BEC. I purchased this plane: http://www.bananahobby.com/green-cam...5420-prd1.html

and it appears the BEC is broken. Would this BEC: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...tor-AGNK10382A
be an adequate replacement?

I'm also open to ANY suggestions. Id like to set this up so that when the escs or flight batt goes out I can still deadstick the plane down. Also, what would be an adequate power supply for the BEC to power the receiver and servoes?

Thanks a ton for any help and/or suggestions!
Pathfynder is offline Find More Posts by Pathfynder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:28 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
I'm new to this level of RC work
Does this mean you have several years of flying experience and this is your first jet? It is NOT a suitable first plane!

If the internal BEC has died, it would be better to get a brand new ESC (preferably with a built-in switching BEC). You could get an external BEC and power it from an additional pack, but are you sure the rest of your ESC is okay.

The chances of a flight battery dying or an ESC failing are pretty slim....if your flight pack does get low and you hit LVC you'll still have control over the servos.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Oct 09, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
like Kiwi asked...is this your first real RC plane experience?
If it is, and you decide to fly the jet as your first aileron RC plane, please take video of the maiden and post it.

If you have alot of aileron plane experience but with RTF models, then that ALign bec will work, but its a big big for your application. Its more for heli's than planes.

you can get the Castle CC Bec, or the very well thought of Hobbywing 5amp bec
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Not several years. I've been flying planes for about a year now? This will be my fourth plane. I'm currently flying the UMX Corsair, UMX Beast 3d and UMX Mig15.

There are a few first though:
first multi-engine plane,
first plane with retracts,
first plane that I had to do any sort of assembly on,
first large plane?

And the BEC wasn't built into the ESC. The plane came wired with 2 ESC's leading to one BEC.

Thanks alot for the suggestions guys. This would be totally impossible without all the help.
Pathfynder is offline Find More Posts by Pathfynder