2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
That looks great! Nice and clean.
I thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Wow, that looks VERY nice!

I didn't use such a spinner on mine, because I wanted to be sure that any cooling air coming in the above-wing scoop and going thru the motor, could easily get out the back.

Your mileage may vary....
Thanks! The cooling is one issue I thought of but I'm fairly certain there is enough area between the spinner and the fuselage that it would allow airflow... time will tell.

The other issue I thought of was that maybe the spinner would cut down on prop area and therefore reduce thrust/efficiency etc, but the counterpoint to that was that the fuselage blocks the same amount of area anyway....

Also, I also am not going to use the stock props, gonna use some APC 8x6 electric pusher props instead on 4s. I am going to replace the ESC with a CC Phoenix 60 I have laying around and that should theoretically provide enough leeway for the amperage (though I will do watt meter tests before I fly of course).

Finally, I am thinking of painting a custom scheme and I stumbled across the glider attached below. I haven't found any other photos of this aircraft at this time (its been eluding my searches) but even if I don't, its not like this is a scale scheme anyway for the SSS, I'm just gonna make my own inspired by this one.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Last edited by EricClark; Jan 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Added 3rd pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:27 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Your "Personal Attack" post has been reported. Post counts do not indicate skill level, or how new someone is to RC.
In this entire thread, you have posted only this? What does that contribute?
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:36 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Darned if I know, but they had it in two colors; SS and Bixler.
Isn't that 2 bixlers in the picture?
AJ
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:45 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
My 2nd SSS came in today...

Ran wiring to rear for Rud/Ele servos...
Ran wire for Tail LED's
Installed tail servos
Reinforced wing area with paracord and GG (ill get pics soon)
Reinforced wing area with Extreme packing tape (ill get pics soon)
Reinforced Wing area with Vinyl wrap (ill get pics soon)

Reinforced body with Extreme Packing tape
Reinforced tail with same tape
Reinforced nose with same tape

Removed stock ELE/RUD servos from inside body
GG'd the Tail sections together
Installed Turnigy Trust 55A with air scoop

Test fit 5000mah 4s... fits nice and snug in the nose Could fit two side by side... but thats a lot of weight to counter... the second will just go under the wing.

Im tired... going to bed

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:51 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Bonus question....what version?
V2 (or V3 if purchased from BH). It is a mini SSS.
AJ
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Isn't that 2 bixlers in the picture?
AJ
Each illustration has two aircraft, either Bixler or SS.

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/64619503...flying_sticker

http://www.cafepress.com/dd/64620164

Lots of neat rc logo stuff. Just search on rc.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Speaking of spinners, has anyone considered a folding prop like they put on Easystars?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
I thought so.

Thanks! The cooling is one issue I thought of but I'm fairly certain there is enough area between the spinner and the fuselage that it would allow airflow... time will tell.

The other issue I thought of was that maybe the spinner would cut down on prop area and therefore reduce thrust/efficiency etc, but the counterpoint to that was that the fuselage blocks the same amount of area anyway....

Also, I also am not going to use the stock props, gonna use some APC 8x6 electric pusher props instead on 4s. I am going to replace the ESC with a CC Phoenix 60 I have laying around and that should theoretically provide enough leeway for the amperage (though I will do watt meter tests before I fly of course).

Finally, I am thinking of painting a custom scheme and I stumbled across the glider attached below. I haven't found any other photos of this aircraft at this time (its been eluding my searches) but even if I don't, its not like this is a scale scheme anyway for the SSS, I'm just gonna make my own inspired by this one.

Eric

Sort of a modified Thunderbird paint scheme, but make the bottom of the wings look more like a seagull.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:46 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of spinners, has anyone considered a folding prop like they put on Easystars?
Considered? Yes.

Only without the rubber band. I believe espritmodel would be a good starting point for components if you were interested in exploring this possibility.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
I use folding props on my Radian but never considered it for a pusher. On the Radian they mount the other way around of course, so the prop lays against the fuselage when folded. A good source for them is here:

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...ropellers.aspx

You will note that they come with shoulders (the part that attaches to the hub) in various thicknesses so verify that the prop and hub match.

A common misconception about folding props is that they need a mechanical stop to hold them at the correct angle when deployed. Not true. They will stop on their own when aerodynamic equaliberium is reached.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Jan 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Your "Personal Attack" post has been reported. Post counts do not indicate skill level, or how new someone is to RC.
Being called a newbie is not an attack, nor is it derogatory. We were all newbies at one time, and as you have noted post count does not necessarily correlate with skill or knowledge level.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:03 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Sort of a modified Thunderbird paint scheme, but make the bottom of the wings look more like a seagull.
Oh, good idea!!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:32 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,171 Posts
With the stock prop, stock motor, on 4s it pulled 27.8A WOT during a static test. Thrust was not measured but seemed more than adequate. Looks like my Phoenix 60 will be nearly overkill.

Eric
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,062 Posts
I was suprized to find that my SSS came with the wrong sized motor mount. The motor was attached to the mount with only 2 machine screws. The other 2 holes did not align at all. The inner holes in the mount are not spaced the same as the motor. I replaced both the motor & mount.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,168 Posts
Just wanted to share some videos I found..

Reposted - Reboxable BH Super Sky Surfer Build, Mod and Maiden Flights (12 min 50 sec)

Super Sky Surfer T&G's (3 min 25 sec)

G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO