SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Discussion
Abandoned Pod Revizzited

I started this lost foam pod years ago and put it to the side. I need something to fly so I'd like to try and finish it, but I'm stumped. I made a similar pod years ago and it had a slip on cowl but it was made in a mold and I was able to make a tray for servos and radio.

So, what am I looking for? I'm looking for suggestions on:

1. How to make some kind of removable access panels

2. Should I just cut it where the lines are and make the internal structure, but I still need ways to hold it all together

3. Should I just cut the front off and then clean out the foam and then make a structure for that front part to fit over?

I'm pretty clear on how I will attach the wing and motor and boom.

Thanks for any help with this.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,600 Posts
I would cut a sort of cockpit shape with angled ends, for easier removal.

You could use magnets to retain it, many use magnets these days, myself included.

Do you have a sketch of the model ?, just the front end would do to get a better idea.

I would be tempted to leave as much foam in there as possible for support, (unless the glass is quite thick).
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
I would cut a sort of cockpit shape with angled ends, for easier removal.

You could use magnets to retain it, many use magnets these days, myself included.

Do you have a sketch of the model ?, just the front end would do to get a better idea.

I would be tempted to leave as much foam in there as possible for support, (unless the glass is quite thick).
Thanks for getting the wheels turning again. There is no sketch, came out of thin air. There's about 3 layers of 6 oz. glass, but I think it would benefit from some foam support.

I can see cutting the canopy out and dissolving the foam there and then adding a lip on the flats. I'm also starting to see cutting into blocks in other areas and then using hard sheeting to section it and isolate areas where foam will need to go. Foam will need to go to make room for things. Hmmmmm.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I went ahead and cut it. The plan is to cut it into 4 sections first, install a spruce or basswood structure that holds it all together. Cut out the excess wood, and then make access hatches.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Sometimes it's just better to do it and deal with the consequences later. By that I mean there might be a perfect way to do it, but if I choose no method then I'll remain stuck so I just cut it and glued on the first piece of decking.

The top half gets the next piece and when I decide on where the servos go, I'll cut out some slots for them and remove excess where I can. The two halves will get glued together eventually after I've cut access hatches.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,600 Posts
If you have a 'solder gun', they are great for cutting holes/slots for servos.
Replace the soldering tool with a piece of heavy duty copper wire bent to the shape required. Make the hole a tightish fit and it will grip the servo without having to make a servo tray or frame.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...33&postcount=9
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
That's a good suggestion for planting servos in foam. I'm not sure white foam is safe to melt, toxic?.

What I've decided to use this time is the basswood deck with a servo tray cut out, leave some for structure. 1/16 x 2 is 1/8 and that is very sturdy. The two sheets will make a lip for glueing the two halves back together. Cutting in half gave me a look at the thickness of fiberglass I used and it should be pretty strong.

I'm thinking about the hatches now and there is still the motor pod to struggle with.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Got the top deck glued on and marked servo locations and cutout areas. I need to cut and sand the excess basswood from the perimeter of each half. I'll need to do some bondo work on the fuse too. When that's done, I'll cut out the hatches and then do some more bondo work.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Did some sanding. Made a photocopy of the servo placement which will get cut out and placed on the top half to mark where I need to remove basswood.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Cut out the servo openings, and an opening in the front. Then I dissolved the foam with some acetone. That was a mess. I had spray painted the sheets of foam using a template for cutting and shaping. When I dissolved the foam, I got a glob of black paint too.

I'm going to tack glue the boom into the lower and then entomb it with a small amount of 2 part foam. I've used that method before and it's solid, but you have to have the pod and boom lined up or else. Tacking it in place the way I want it will help.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I messed up the servo hatch when I cut it out, so I need to make another. I took some sheet and CA'd it into the interior to cover the hatch opening. There is a difference in level naturally between the outside surface and the sheet. I mixed some JB Weld and slopped over the sheet and made a lip. I also potted some left over magnets from a CDROM motor. I'll coat the inside with something for release. I'm thinking chapstick and then hair spray. Then I'll mix some more JB Weld, pot 2 more magnets and a roughed out balsa hatch. Hopefully, that's the plan atleast, and then I'll cut out the hatch opening again.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I used chapstick and smeared it on heavy. In the center of it all is some balsa and 2 more magnets. I got it all smushed in and then started thinking how am I going to pull it, so I grabbed a ziptie and sunk it into the JB Weld. I'll worry about removing any evidence of it later.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
The hatch released without any problem. I sanded and hacked at it. Just a little more sanding to go on the hatch and then it's lots of body work. I've got a plan for the top hatch now.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Got some more done on it, starting to look like intended. I took eflightRay's advise and cut the top. I tacked some spruce onto the body to serve as a miter for my trusty hacksaw blade. It worked, got a good straight cut.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Got the hatch magnets in place. Dissolved all the foam, so now starts all the bondo work or maybe I'll work on the wing mounting and the motor pod. As long as I do something, then I'll be closer to finished.