SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,280 Posts
Try to increase throttle travel at the top end. Some esc don't arm because there looking for low throttle but where they look for it is so low that some rx need to have some throttle adjustment done.

Maybe you need to do the same for high throttle. Adjusting so it goes just a bit higher.

I read the gyro post again it to access the menu it needs to see full throttle. Either the board is defective or its simply just not seeing full throttle.

Increase throttle and see what happens. Remember Trim does not from mid to high throttle.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Try to increase throttle travel at the top end. Some esc don't arm because there looking for low throttle but where they look for it is so low that some rx need to have some throttle adjustment done.

Maybe you need to do the same for high throttle. Adjusting so it goes just a bit higher.

I read the gyro post again it to access the menu it needs to see full throttle. Either the board is defective or its simply just not seeing full throttle.

Increase throttle and see what happens. Remember Trim does not from mid to high throttle.
Okay, I went from 100% throttle travel to 150% and it worked! I am now back at the default settings. Thank you for your help and patience. You really understand this radio pretty well. Now I can check out how it flies at default and go from there.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,479 Posts
Quote:
It defaults to 3v per cell but you can always adjust it yourself. I think it's main reason for defaulting there was to help minimize the amount of rolling the roller in order to get to your desired value being 3.0 per cell or higher/lower.

The .3v has been discussed numerous times and it's a tolerance thing with the components issued or something along those lines.

If you are bumding the alarm as you put it when you are doing stunts, #1 maybe the alarm is set to high #2 maybe the pack is not rated enough for your setup #3 maybe the pack is that great a condition. So many factors you can consider, delaying the telemetry is probably what most other users would want out of a live telemetry information.
my take on this is under load, the measured voltage will be much less than after you land.

I set my alarm to 3.3 and 3.4 volts per cell, but would get alarms way earlier than necessy.

I have since disabled this alarm, and instead fly my normal times and check the voltage after I land.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:01 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
my take on this is under load, the measured voltage will be much less than after you land.

I set my alarm to 3.3 and 3.4 volts per cell, but would get alarms way earlier than necessy.

I have since disabled this alarm, and instead fly my normal times and check the voltage after I land.
Yes but the minimum voltage rating is based on voltage "under load".If your hitting a minimum voltage during a flight much earlier than its capacity is being used it means one thing.Lack of ability to provide current(C rating).What it says on the label and what it will actually do in use may be 2 completely different things for a few different reasons.The bottom line is that your voltage is dropping to or below minimums "under load".
The pack is either not able or is no longer able to deliver the necessary current for the application.Shutting the alarm off is IMO like putting a penny in the fusebox because the fuse wont stop blowing.
The consequenses of continuing to use it? I wont go into that.It will probably just start another argument.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
my take on this is under load, the measured voltage will be much less than after you land.I set my alarm to 3.3 and 3.4 volts per cell, but would get alarms way earlier than necessy. I have since disabled this alarm, and instead fly my normal times and check the voltage after I land.
On most if not all of my setups I set my alarm at 3.4v and when I start getting alarms at full throttle (never early in flight) I know it's getting almost time to consider landing but I still keep flying. When my alarm triggers near mid stick then I land when convinient.

Every single time my pack resting voltage is EXACTLY where I want it to be and that is what is important.

Like the above member mentioned, I too won't get into it that much but if my alarm set at 3.4v per cell was being triggered at the start of the flight, I would surely be looking into the power source of my setup.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
On most if not all of my setups I set my alarm at 3.4v and when I start getting alarms at full throttle (never early in flight) I know it's getting almost time to consider landing but I still keep flying. When my alarm triggers near mid stick then I land when convinient.

Every single time my pack resting voltage is EXACTLY where I want it to be and that is what is important.

Like the above member mentioned, I too won't get into it that much but if my alarm set at 3.4v per cell was being triggered at the start of the flight, I would surely be looking into the power source of my setup.
Yes, that is how I would look at it too.
My Zippies are almost done for but the SLSs are new are wont trigger alarms even when set to 3.3 x6 = 19,8.
So the 3V setting is there why ?
To avoid alarms when doing loopings ?
That was my point with the delay...which was the wrong word..
I meant a timed threshold...
Like Jeti has or ISII..
If a voltage alarm is triggered it doesnt sound the alarm immediately but only if the voltage is not recovering within 3 seconds.
That would allow a higher voltage alarm setting which is better for the battery but still copes with short bursts.

Well, in the long run only a used capacity sensor will provide a real useful "fuel gauge"
Voltage is just a workaround.
ArguZ is offline Find More Posts by ArguZ
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,280 Posts
@ ArguZ - "" So the 3V setting is there why?"" That's the Hobby's current standard set by LiPo manufacturers. I have yet to see on any of MY batts a low voltage warning HIGHER than 3.0v per cell and most likely why they use 3.0v as a default value that you can still adjust to whatever settings you want.

If I remember correctly before you needed to roll for some time in order to get to your desired setting as it would either default too low or default to the max I think of 60V. You then needed to roll until you reached the desired value. Only later did the selecting of CELL count and a default value showed up in an AirWare update. This was changed in the DX8 Airware version 2.00 and probably why it is what it is in the DX18 today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWare 2.00 added features
When setting the Flight Pack Voltage alarms, you can easily set the alarm points
based upon LiPo cell count, then tweak them to your preference.
It's just now we have less rolling to do, which is good. We always had to make adjustments, now you just need to make LESS of an adjustment.

PS: Some esc manufacturer still have a lower than 3.0v as there low cut-off setting so 3.0v telemetry alarm can't be that bad compared to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC specs
Low Voltage Cut-off: 0.80V per cell for NiCad/NiMH; 2.75V per cell for LiPo
Last edited by freechip; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Oct 2012
56 Posts
Ok, maybe i am hanging out too often on conservative German forums ,)
People there think 3.3 is what a LiPo should have as a minimum voltage to prevent early aging.
I will set mine to 19,2 now and see how it goes with the new batteries.
ArguZ is offline Find More Posts by ArguZ
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,280 Posts
The best thing to do is use what's best for you. 3.3v per cell is what the hobby recommends for taking care of your battery.

You will find what is best for you after a couple of flights and testing different values. It's what I did when I set mine for 3.4v, the type of flying and how I handle a flight pack voltage alarm this setting gives me the best result.

Have fun
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArguZ View Post
I have a short question regarding the telemetrie.
When I adjust the voltage alarm for the flight packs and chose 6S the alarm defaults to 18V.
Given the fact that a lipo should not go below 3.3 I find that 18V default setting very low.
That "fact" varies with battery technology and current draw. The default setting is a quick way to get you into the right ballpark. From there you tweak it to match the type of cells and current draw you plan to use.

Quote:
The other question is : Do you guys have plans to bring some time delays to the telemetrie ?
When doing big air maneuvers like inverted loops or walls, I bump into a telemetrie alarm here and there even with a fully loaded pack.
Maybe a 2 or 3 second delay would be cool to not get shocked when flying and being focused
No, and I explained why a long time ago. Telemetry alarms are there to let you know when a condition happens. Suppose you're near the limit of telemetry range and your battery voltage dips. It needs to notify immediately, because it may not get another message to confirm it in the future.

Quote:
One more thing...when I probe the lipo in the TX with a voltmeter, i get like 0.3 more than the transmitter shows.
Thats the same on my DX7...Is that a "safety net " ?
That is the manufacturing tolerance on calibration.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,036 Posts
Six Servo Sailplane Guide Version 3.1

Version 3.1 of the Guide for a Six Servo Sailplane and its associated .SPM file is available HERE post #35

Release Notes for the Six Servo Sailplane Guide. These changes came about as questions were raised by consumers about issues and alternative means to create a function.

Version 2.0 Guide

Because Flight Modes were already created in the Guide and Template and the Guide only discusses how to adjust them, there were requests for how to create Flight Modes From scratch. A Flight Mode Addendum was added for this purpose.

An addendum was added demonstrating how to add and remove points in a :curved” mix.

Version 3.0 template fixes an incorrect value. Camber preset in Thermal Mode for Right Flap was changed from 7.0 to -7.0.

Version 3.0 Guide

New addendum have been added for:
· reversing the flap stick,
· using the monitor screen for trouble shooting and
· using a motor.

The V-tail addendum has been completely rewritten to eliminate my misunderstanding of the V-Tail feature.

Grammar corrections and changes to the text were made throughout the guide to increase readability.

Version 3.1 Guide

In a V tail model, if the Aileron > Rudder mix is used, the V-Tail Differential setting is now fully supported. You need to download and install Airware Version 1.03 from the Spektrum Community Website.

An alternative method to make the flaps move the same amount throughout the Flap movement using the Balance function was added.

A section was added to demonstrate how to remove a flight mode in the event you only want to use four Flight Modes.

An addendum was added to show you how to reverse the Flap Stick.

Grammar corrections and changes to the text were made throughout the guide to increase readability.
duworm is online now Find More Posts by duworm
Last edited by duworm; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
Hi Guys

I always use switch C for Flight Mode. When I updated my DX18 software to V1.03, on two of the models the flight mode operation flipped to switch B. Luckily I noticed before flying these planes, one of which is a Sebart Katana 50E leccy, the other a Boomerang Nano turbine.

The other 6 planes I have loaded in the DX18, which includes a couple of 4-servo-wing slope-soarers programmed using duworm's guide, weren't affected.

Just one more thing to check following an update.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Guys

I always use switch C for Flight Mode. When I updated my DX18 software to V1.03, on two of the models the flight mode operation flipped to switch B. Luckily I noticed before flying these planes, one of which is a Sebart Katana 50E leccy, the other a Boomerang Nano turbine.

The other 6 planes I have loaded in the DX18, which includes a couple of 4-servo-wing slope-soarers programmed using duworm's guide, weren't affected.

Gordon
First time I hear something like this.
As for your last comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by community.spektrumrc.com
Due to the complex nature of the software and the nearly endless combination of setups that are possible, the first public exposure of a new version to thousands of consumers is the most likely time to uncover any undetected issues. As always, the pilot should ensure that all programming behaves as intended in the model.

This version will NOT erase models on your radio, but you should always take the precaution of backing them up first, just in case. Please do NOT turn off the transmitter during this update process! It may take up to 2 minutes for the update to be completely executed. The progress bar may flash and/or move several times as part of the update process.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:31 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Guys
Gordon
With 1.02 i have someting similar.
I programmed my fly mode with 3 switch (A,B,C)
C = landing mode
all was fine until my last competition (F3J glider)
Just before fly, sudenly switch C was ALWAYS ON so i was ALWAYS on landing mode. no way to switch to start, speed, cruise mode...
I just have time to modify the settings and use switch D insteed of C => good
It's not a physical problem with the switch C.

after update my dw18 to 1.03 all seems good now with switch C.

just dev a small PC application to view and do some calculation with spektrum.tlm file and altitude sensor.
usefull for F3J/glidder users.
jpcoste71 is offline Find More Posts by jpcoste71
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,566 Posts
Started using my new DX7 and ashamed to say that after a couple of hours i realised that i have not got a clue how to use this radio to its full potential. On a full house glider i have set up the airbrakes on the left hand lever to bring them out gradually and now i want to set up crow with my airlerons for landing. Do i mix it with the airbrakes or use them with a separate switch. Can you please tell me how to do this in simple terms as at the moment i feel i have wasted my cash with the DX7.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees