Old Aug 26, 2015, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by PatternFlyer
Frontenac, KS
Joined Jan 2003
344 Posts
Discussion
Castle Thunderbird 9 heat problem?

Ok, here is the situation.

running 4 E-Flite DS35 and Park 280 motor.
Without motor running. about three minutes after powering up, ESC gets to around 140 degrees. servos move unexpectedly.
I was holding full aileron and moving the elevator up & down, then suddenly aileron servos move around.

I am not moving the servos all the time. 2 servos mounted & connected to control surfaces, 2 are just hooked up to the receiver.

I think it has problem with BEC.

What do you guys think?
PatternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PatternFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:34 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,096 Posts
Are you on 3S? That is the maximum recommended voltage for using the BEC on the Thunderbirds.

I have several Thunderbirds of various ratings and noticed that I was getting very similar temperatures. Eventually I found it is typical for the Thunderbirds. CC tech guy said if they running are at 160F or so and maybe even hitting peak temps of 180, they should be OK.

But if you go to 4S and try to use the BEC it will probably burn up the BEC.

You can see the testing I did on a TB18 in this post and the one following it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=64

The BEC temp on a TB18 run at 18A or so was at about 150F and that dropped to below 100F when the BEC was disconnected. And that was with a small load on the BEC, only a servo tester being used for a throttle.

So if you want to use the Thunderbirds with a servo load of more the three or maybe four micro servos using an external BEC is a good idea. And it is mandatory for 4S or higher.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Aug 27, 2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
12,031 Posts
The higher the battery voltage, the less current a non-switching BEC can supply. This does not apply for SBEC, different operating principle.

AlsoVriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren