Old May 12, 2015, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,683 Posts
Question
FMA Safe Parallel Adapter

When I ordered my FMA Safe Parallel Adapter - JST-XH/Kokam from Progressive I asked them if I could use these with a 2X parallel cable and they said yes but when I received it the instructions clearly say to use with only one battery. Is there a reason for this? Is charge amp related? If it can charge a single 6S 6000 at 5C why can't it charge two 2S 3000's?

One interesting note to report. I was using a v3 EP Buddy Paraboard and on my 2S 3000 packs the FMA Safe Parallel Adapter in the FMA wiring mode recorded a closer reading between cells but at a slightly higher value.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by Ohmic
USA
Joined Jan 2002
5,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
When I ordered my FMA Safe Parallel Adapter - JST-XH/Kokam from Progressive I asked them if I could use these with a 2X parallel cable and they said yes but when I received it the instructions clearly say to use with only one battery. Is there a reason for this?

Yes. Safety. When using squid type adapters the individual cells between packs are not fuse protected.

Is charge amp related? If it can charge a single 6S 6000 at 5C why can't it charge two 2S 3000's?

One interesting note to report. I was using a v3 EP Buddy Paraboard and on my 2S 3000 packs the FMA Safe Parallel Adapter in the FMA wiring mode recorded a closer reading between cells but at a slightly higher value.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old May 12, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,211 Posts
Quote:
When I ordered my FMA Safe Parallel Adapter - JST-XH/Kokam from Progressive I asked them if I could use these with a 2X parallel cable and they said yes but when I received it the instructions clearly say to use with only one battery. Is there a reason for this? Is charge amp related? If it can charge a single 6S 6000 at 5C why can't it charge two 2S 3000's?

Is this the one you have?
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...rallel-Adapter

If so the instruction of "One Pack Only" is correct. In order to charge two or more packs you would need two or more adapters and they would be daisy chained together.

As to you question about charging two 2S 3000mAh batteries, how would you connect them? There is only one 2S JST-XH connector on the card.

If you have multiple packs and they are all have JST-XH balance connectors you should have purchased the MPA.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA_2/MPA-XH_3
The MPA allows up to six packs to be parallel charged.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old May 12, 2015, 11:40 AM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Is this the one you have?
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...rallel-Adapter

If so the instruction of "One Pack Only" is correct. In order to charge two or more packs you would need two or more adapters and they would be daisy chained together.

As to you question about charging two 2S 3000mAh batteries, how would you connect them? There is only one 2S JST-XH connector on the card.

If you have multiple packs and they are all have JST-XH balance connectors you should have purchased the MPA.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA_2/MPA-XH_3
The MPA allows up to six packs to be parallel charged.

Glen
Yes that is the board I have
As to how to connect two 2S packs to it - with this
I had an MPA board and did not like it.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,211 Posts
Quote:
I had an MPA board and did not like it.
The cable you linked will do for parallel charging two packs.

The warning on the board about not charging two packs referred to connecting one pack to the JST-XH side and another to the Kokam side.

You should be OK with what you are planning. The only disadvantage is you now are fusing both batteries at one point rather than each cell individually. The charging current does not come into play as all that current goes through the main charge/discharge leads.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the MPA?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old May 12, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by Gregor99
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,456 Posts
Quote:
After our PM discussion, I'm surprised you went this route. Anyway, to answer your questions, that is the early fused parallel charge board. These are designed to be daisy chained using multiple boards of the same time. There is an FMA style port on that board. That's where the second board would attach to. Also note this board requires FMA Wiring mode.

Personally I would have gone with two SPA boards daisy chained. More compact.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old May 12, 2015, 12:37 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
After our PM discussion, I'm surprised you went this route. Anyway, to answer your questions, that is the early fused parallel charge board. These are designed to be daisy chained using multiple boards of the same time. There is an FMA style port on that board. That's where the second board would attach to. Also note this board requires FMA Wiring mode.

Personally I would have gone with two SPA boards daisy chained. More compact.
Greg this was really an experiment to be honest as I have never messed with charging and IR reading in the FMA mode. I also bought the modular board as we discussed.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:40 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
The cable you linked will do for parallel charging two packs.

The warning on the board about not charging two packs referred to connecting one pack to the JST-XH side and another to the Kokam side.

You should be OK with what you are planning. The only disadvantage is you now are fusing both batteries at one point rather than each cell individually. The charging current does not come into play as all that current goes through the main charge/discharge leads.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the MPA?

Glen
Glen I miss read that about one on one side and not the other, thanks for pointing that out.

I did not like the size of the MPA and the fact that it had Deans.