Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
People want wide, this is the reason of curvatures.
In bigger photography there are rectilinear fish-eyes, which are wide but keep lines straight.
For this hobby niche seems nobody is interested to make such lens, so the only way to go is longer focal and narrower angles, under 90 degrees mandatory.
Below you have the lens formula for a rectilnear (first, left) and a circular (second, right) fish-eye.

Considering the expense of manufacturing all those lens elements to the precision needed, the impetus to do that work for the cheap disposable action cameras is low.
The GoPro does a reasonable job for a video camera.. nice big image. No match for the high end 16Mpix name brand cameras for still images though.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by Qualquercoisa
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
For me in this order.

1š first of all and more important than image quality (in reasonable levels)
Narrow or natural field of view. (at least as an option)

2š Image quality ( 1080p 30and 60 fps is enough)

3š The ability of changing settings in the cam, a small screen is enough, donīt have to be a lcd screen (it takes unnecessary space and battery life, and in the mist of the action the lcd itīs redundant).

4š Light, compact, rugged and low profile (personally I donīt like the design of go pro, it should be on it's side, like sony, ex.) waterproof and shockproof.

It's not asking to much.

The perfect camera it's with:
The screen of the go pro
The body of sony as 15 or 20 or 30 or etc.
The field of view of a Mobius (standard lenz, 86š, 90š).
All of this with vibrant colours.

I know this topic is old but one's never knows.

Qualquercoisa is offline Find More Posts by Qualquercoisa
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,592 Posts
1) Get a xiaomi, uncase it and relocate the sensor to look lateral, build using some 3d printed parts, it is possible, if you don't know what I mean, search for Xiaomi camera uncasing video and will get the idea.
2) No screen, why would I airborne a display ?
3) Any FOV can be obtained replacing with right lens after step 1
4) colors are ok enough for me as far as I seen sample movies
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by dragonblade
Joined Apr 2014
626 Posts
For me, one of the big gripes of action cameras is that you are at the mercy of their auto exposure system. Sometimes the auto exposure does a good job and sometimes it doesn't. One problem with aerial photography is that there will likely be moments where you get a large expanse of sky in the shot which can cause the camera to close down the aperture, darkening the picture. The same thing can happen if the aircraft turns around and heads into the sun.

So to counter this, some kind of exposure lock would be great.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade