HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by peterlngh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Contest
The June, everyone's invited, soaring contest.

THE JUNE BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am June 1st to 11:59 PM June 30th Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
While it's preferred that posts are about contest business; brief comments about items of common interest are welcome. This includes but is not limited to: new planes, safety warnings, tales of remarkable flights that might not be official entries, humorous incidents, well wishes for those facing health issues, the bloody weather, and messages of congratulation or conciliation. Short of your personal version of War and Peace all comments are welcome unless I receive multiple complaints.

Contest Records:

2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55F, light variable winds

Hand Launch:
nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
thermal
1/3/2014
time 10:24am
duration 54:26
Yorkshire UK

Slope:
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Monthly standings.

2Meter:

Piper J3
E-Pulsar 2 Meter Pro REF
27 June 2014 1:10 PM
Duration of flight: 59:50 minutes minus 24 seconds motor run
Launch height: 200 meters
Max height: 2300’ AGL
Weather: Scattered Cumulus, +85F, 5mph winds

FabFlight
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Radian, 2m class
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 2014-06-27 12:52
Duration of flight: 50 min 35 sec (after 23 sec motor run, 200 m)
Max altitude: 536 m

peterlngh
Plane: Specter 1800
Thermal
Date and time: June 5th @12:00 noon
Duration: 41 minutes after 8-10 second climb
Scattered clouds, 75F, rather gusty winds.

nigel Sheffield
glider phoenix 2000
thermal
29/6/2014
time 3:45pm
duration 39:22
Yorkshire UK

Open Class:

MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 21 June 2014 12:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 25 minutes 48 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +65F, winds 7 - 12 mph

Leadchucker/Warren
Sailplane: Longhorn 4 metre
Thermal or Slope: Thermal- 200 metre launch
Date and Time of flight: 4 June 2013 @ 1330
Duration of flight: 58 min 31 secs
Weather: Partly cloudy, +84F, wind- 315 @ 10 knots or less

Hand Launch:

nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
thermal
6/6/2014
time 10:15am
duration 14:44
Yorkshire UK
Last edited by peterlngh; Jun 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 08:45 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
35 mins with blaster dlg, started at 0ft and after 35 mins was at 5ft!

Just teasing, testing new version of opentx 2.0 on my Taranis , lots of big changes and some altering of models required and I am ground testing now to make sure nothing goes wrong over a period of time.

Raining all day today so good job really or I would be tempted to test in air and that might temp fate.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:50 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,339 Posts
It's not much but it'll do for now. It was a no brainer day. If I could have launched an anvil to 100 metres it would have thermaled. Spent more time trying to keep it sight and did lose it once . Got her back and she's fine and resting nicely now in the shop.

Open Class:
Leadchucker/Warren
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2014, 02:46 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
It's not much but it'll do for now. It was a no brainer day. If I could have launched an anvil to 100 metres it would have thermaled. Spent more time trying to keep it sight and did lose it once . Got her back and she's fine and resting nicely now in the shop.

Open Class:
Leadchucker/Warren
Nice!
I would call it more then "not much" .

Must have been pretty high up to lose a 4 metre glider!
Old Jun 05, 2014, 01:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Woo-hoo! I finally got a decent official flight!

peterlngh
Plane: Specter 1800
Thermal
Date and time: June 5th @12:00 noon
Duration: 41 minutes after 8-10 second climb
Scattered clouds, 75F, rather gusty winds.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 02:03 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
Good well done peter , this month has been a slow start with all the rain and wind etc but I am hoping today is gonna be a flyable day!
If it is then I will get my blaster trimmed out again and see if I can get a decent flight time, might even managed to get the phoenix done too if the weather man is right!
Old Jun 06, 2014, 10:28 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
Hand Launch:
nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
thermal
6/6/2014
time 10:15am
duration 14:44
Yorkshire UK

500 ft or so climb out sunny but windy.
New f/w works fine and vario tones are nice too!
Old Jun 06, 2014, 10:40 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,339 Posts
Nice one Peter. Any fight that ends with the model and you in one piece is a good one
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
I must admit that I'm a bit relieved, Warren. I was wondering what was going to go wrong when I hit a boomer after about half my normal climb. Between the dogs and sprinklers and adverse winds I was starting to feel snake bit! So? I made up for it today when I nosed over my Katana and cracked some wood. The dang thing has one wheel that seizes up on takeoff no matter what combination of thread lock, washers, stop nuts, and lock nuts I use. I'm just about to the point of taking the gear off and adding a folding prop.

Cheers!
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,374 Posts
Nice leadchucker..
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
I took the whole squadron out today. My neck was getting sore so I didn't beat my time with the Specter but I got in a very long flight, with three climbs on the SG 1000. I also got in 4 flights with my Katana Mini without nosing over even once! But? The part that has me impressed is the performance of my new Rhino, 30C, batteries. One is 2150mah and the other is 1550mah and even the little one lasts quite a bit longer than my 2200mah, 25C, Zippy batteries.

I hesitate to recommend much of anything due to Chinese QC issues but, based on my small sample, I don't foresee getting anything else.

Cheers!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:10 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
Good to here peter!
Winds over houses again but sunny so took out phoenix got 2 fast thermal climbs to 1400 from 500ft, very turnpbulent and sun glare was strong so bailed and went up wind to look for more lift but found nothing.
Only used one battery and got 37 mins total.
Got 12 mins and 13 mins flights from 30 seconds climb out each and then the next 12 mins used 1min40 of motor run time all sink.

Nice to get out and fly in the sunshine.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:07 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
Hi guys, got a 11:22 min wit blaster this morn 8am, and a 5 min earlier, thermal activity was very light as were wimds and without the vario I probably would not have managed the 11 min as the lift was small and weak blaster was going up less then 1ft every 5 seconds but the new vario tones really are very good now at picking out weak lift , a good time for practising my launched and relights and I even had a go at the ladder task, but with my weak throws I can only get to 1:20 consistently , rain stopped 'play at 8:30am but I didn't mind - I had been down since 6:30 and needed some breakfast.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Hi, guys. Lots of good flying weather here on the frozen tundra but no official flights to speak of. Mostly I've just been having too much fun with the Katana mini to do much thermal searching. The high point, for me, was when a couple off duty police officers stopped over to chat. At first I was afraid that someone had complained and they were there to boot me out of the park but they were just curious. So? I gave each of them my email and directed them to look around RC Groups and Tower and HobbyKing. If I get get a cop or two in "the club" I would lose any remaining anxiety I have about possibly getting kicked out of the park. My cunning plan is now to bring at least one park worker and one cop into the fold so I have allies on the inside. I also had another great encounter with some local kids.

I was flying said Katana and noticed 5 kids approaching with their guardian some distance behind. When they got close I said "hi" and asked them to stay directly behind me; which they did. Then I landed and was showing them the plane when Mom finally caught up and I discovered they were AWOL when she told them that she was sure I was a "nice gentleman", which I am, but they weren't supposed to run off after strangers. I reassured Mom that they were in no danger and that I would have "scared the heck out of them" if I had realized they had wandered off and a good laugh was had by all.

So? I unplugged the motor and gave each of them a chance to move the sticks and see how things worked. Four of them were easily satisfied and moved on to speculating about how cool it must be to see one crash but the fifth got that deadly serious look kids get when they discover something new they just might want to pursue. I really do have to carve a hole in my budget for a Bixler or similar plane so I can let people fly a bit; especially since I have found myself in possession of a second Turnigy 9x transmitter to use as a trainer box. And that leads me into the bad news.

My friend and student suffered a stroke last fall and decided that he probably won't regain the coordination needed to fly RC and needed the bucks he had tied up in his equipment. He found someone else to buy his Calypso and I bought his radio with the sincere hope that he recovers more fully and decides to try it again in which case I can either sell it back to him or just let hm use it; assuming I don't wreck it trying to install the SmartyParts card and new firmware! That's about all the news here in the Northlands so I'm going to go out to chase some thermals.

Cheers!