HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPP Destroyer View Post
Hey guys,

I'm contemplating the RFR version of the Gamma 370 Pro, and I'd be putting in one of the three receivers that are coming with my Dx7s. Will this be "plug 'n play", or will I have to do some soldering? TIA.
Plug n play. If you use a different battery other then the Ares you'll have to solder your plug style on the esc as it will come with a Tamiya style plug
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:57 AM
United States, IL, West Dundee
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Thanks. Does the RFR come with a battery? I've been trying since yesterday to find the answer myself on Hobbytown's site, but it keeps bombing on me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
Plug n play. If you use a different battery other then the Ares you'll have to solder your plug style on the esc as it will come with a Tamiya style plug
EPP Destroyer is offline Find More Posts by EPP Destroyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPP Destroyer View Post
Thanks. Does the RFR come with a battery? I've been trying since yesterday to find the answer myself on Hobbytown's site, but it keeps bombing on me. Thanks.
I don't understand why the website does what it does sometimes been there several times this weekend with no problems. Not to say you're not because that is what's weird as for the battery now it does not come with the battery. I would defiantly would get the pro as you save $30 on upgrades going that route
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
got an ares 370 as a gift. Have flown it maybe 10 times, tried using 3s 1300 batt with the stock brushed motor and esc, seemed to do ok. Next flight motor seemed to be really weak, tried different batt pack and motor would not run at all. what's up with this??? thanks for you help
mtnmike is offline Find More Posts by mtnmike
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
to tag with my prev post plane is stock except for aileron wing. stock motor and esc, stock prop that came with plane. I am using a dx6 with it for control. plane has not been crashed in any way. batt packs were fully charged using a venom charger. temp was in the mid 50's batt pack was not warm to touch. Help
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:09 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,518 Posts
It sounds like you fried your ESC.

Post 281, page 19 of this thread.
Jason M. as a representative of Ares, nixed 3s on brushed system.
Did not endorse or condone such use. 2s only.
Sorry.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,518 Posts
But you now have a good excuse to upgrade to the brushless esc/motor combo.
Infinately better. And you already have the 3s batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:43 PM
United States, IL, West Dundee
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Well I picked up the RFR Gamma Pro today. I'm doing good on the simulator, but it will probably be a month or so before I'm ready for the maiden flight. I'm very excited about it, and bought it now because it seems like a great deal that might not last forever..... Heck, if I'd found this thread earlier I could have just flown it 3ch initially, and skipped the Champ altogether.
EPP Destroyer is offline Find More Posts by EPP Destroyer
Last edited by EPP Destroyer; Jan 02, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
Yes, plug and play. Chino, the Gamma Pro comes with two props, but I haven't noticed which sizes they are. I am currently using the larger prop as I am flying it with my E-Flight 7.4v 2S 1300 mah batteries that are designed for the HZ Firebird Stratos. This weekend, I am going to fly her with the Parkzone 11.1v 3s 1300 mah batteries I use in my HZ Super Cub. I will have to check the CG before though and will probably have to move the battery back some to get it to balance.

Destroyer, if you can fly the Champ really well, don't be afraid to put the Gamma Pro up. I find she flies just as tame as the 3 channel version, but a bit faster faster and she banks with way more authourity. Landing is basically the same as the Gamma Pro floats in like the original. She is a lot more fun in the 4 channel, brushless version.

The RFR version comes with nothing but the plane. No battery.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
Anyone else feel like their ailerons aren't as responsive as they 'should' be?

Feels like my elevator has much more authority compared to my ailerons. Wanting everything to feel nice and balanced when it comes to responsiveness...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
Tweak them with the travel adjust on your TX. I did this on my Spektrum DX6i and now she banks like a dream. The first couple of flights out of the box and she seemed sluggish to me. After I did the TA tweek, she flies great and very agile.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Itz also if you are using a tx with dual rates make sure you are in the mode you want to be in. either a high rate or low rate. I think you mentioned that you were getting a specktrum dx 6 for christmas. you can set up dual rates to be switched on with one sw or you can do aileron/elevator and rudder via the individual sw. check and see what your throttle stick setting is. my motor did not come up till almost 1/2 stick and then it seemed to be slow on the response. was better when i cranked the throttle trim to full. cant wait to put on the brushless motor and esc and then give it a whorl should be a blast. was fun to fly with the stock motor too
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:06 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmike View Post
got an ares 370 as a gift. Have flown it maybe 10 times, tried using 3s 1300 batt with the stock brushed motor and esc, seemed to do ok. Next flight motor seemed to be really weak, tried different batt pack and motor would not run at all. what's up with this??? thanks for you help
Unfortunately you burned out the motor using a 3S 11.1V battery. As we (Ares) have noted before in this thread, you CANNOT use 3S 11.1V batteries with the brushed motor (only with the brushless). Replace the brushed motor and use only 2S 7.4V batteries or upgrade to brushless to use 2S 7.4V or 3S 11.1V batteries.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Tweak them with the travel adjust on your TX. I did this on my Spektrum DX6i and now she banks like a dream. The first couple of flights out of the box and she seemed sluggish to me. After I did the TA tweek, she flies great and very agile.
You can adjust the aileron travel by doing this:
1) take wing off and detatch control arm from aileron servo
2) take both control rods off aileron servo and off each aileron control horn.
3) tighten each control horn do-hickey thing on each aileron equally to your desired degree of deflection. Equally. Very important.
4) put servo control arm back on with the control rods at the outer most hole. If you have spare servos you might find one with longer arms that you can swap out.
5) make sure control surfaces are trim. You will need to power up the aileron servo to do this.

The gist of all this is that you want your servo arms to have the most travel and your aileron control horns as far in as possible.
This will give you maximum throws.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jan 02, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
quick question: if you are suppose to only use a 2s battery then, why ON the ares esc does it say 2-3sLiPo and then 6-10 cell NiCad/NiMH ??? if my math is right 10(cell nicad or nimh) is lets see 1.2v/cell X 10 = 12 volts ??? I am new at this Electric flight that is.
I have already put in the brushless motor and esc so i suppose there is no going back to the stock motor but.... still on the box the airplane comes in it should say in big letters 7.4 volt battery only.

btw I also clipped off the crappy stock connectors and went to e-flites ec2's much better connector. got that tip from this forum i do believe.

other than motor/esc issues i think great airplane just wish the tx could have be buddy box-able so i didnt have to buy two more tx 's so i could buddy box with my father in law