HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,883 Posts
REALLY REALLY pissed off now!

Sick of stuff going wrong all the time.

Had booked my airfares via a Airline Employee travel agency (Easyway) as it was going to cost me half the price. Waited and heard nothing back from them a week later, rang them today and they said they can't book me on as there aren't enough spare seats!!!! So have stuffed around thinking evrything was sweet with airfares, now I have to fork out $2500 for airfares when if I had just booked mid jan via Air NZ it would have cost 1700! Pissed off at work for taking so long to get back to me as to whether they could do my airfares, pissed off at Easyway, pissed at anything airline related!!! Perks DO NOT EXIST if you work for an airline!

So now I need to get more cash together to book airfares as soon as I can or else it is looking like there will be no seats AT ALL!!

I could fly Delta, But finding out how cheap they are with maintainance, I DO NOT THINNK SO!

Also could save a couple hundred going via Sydney, but from leaving to arriving would be 30+ hours each way!!! No thanks. Plus all the hassles of three countries on a one way trip... And navigating Sydney airport! AHHHHHHH having a freak out right now hahahaha

So will be putting anything I can find in my garage up for sale to try cover things
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,143 Posts
MAN. What a around...sorry to hear that mate. Always the way if you want something done , do it your self.
I hope you get a seat..

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:00 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,368 Posts
Oh, no! The DS Gods will not be happy with Easyway!!! This will be bad Karma for them! The Easyway guy who did that to you should be filled with epoxy and an excess of fast hardener, and made to stand on the lip of your DS hill while you play chicken with your Kinetic seeing how close you can fly it to his head! We're pissed off for you too Alex.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:40 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,883 Posts
I should be able to get a seat, just fudging around dates and waiting for my next paycheque
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:01 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,066 Posts
Airlines sucks !!! Sorry to hear that Alex,
I could not book mine too, DS gods should be invoked at this time and punish those bastards.
I'll probably book for next year

Andre
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,883 Posts
Well I have booked and have secured my seat on a bloody plane this time, no more "stand by", or "if numbers allow" BS.

Air NZ to LA, arriving LA 12:55pm April 4th

Leaving on NZ1 (cool plane) 21st April
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,883 Posts
A big favour to ask, but would anyone be able to pick me up from LAX on April 4th???

With a model box, I don't think a bus or a taxi would be a viable option. Plus my brain will probably be trying its best to claw its way back to NZ after emerging into LAX!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,368 Posts
I've got the house in Kernville booked from the 3rd so I thought I'd get up there then. If someone else is around to collect you and bring you up that might be good, but if there's no other option I'd stay around in LA to pick you up. See how it shapes up closer to the time.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,883 Posts
Sweet. Just trying to find materials for making a box up. Correx plasitc is $80 a sheet here!!!

Am thinking about making a foam box, wit wooden framing inside, covered in rip-stop nylon. Thoughts???
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Feb 16, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,772 Posts
Plane box - what worked for us:

When Joel and I went, we made up blue insulation foam boxes (30mm sides, 50mm bottom and lid), and covered it with 5mm correx. Foam provided the crushing strength, and correx protected against scuffing and gave a surface to apply strapping tape to. Much lighter than anything with wood in it.

We used three baggage straps with quick-release clips to keep them closed, tape-hinged the lids and went to town with marking pens to direct airport/customs inspectors where to cut/release to open them up without desroying them. We also marked the destination and home addresses *AND DATES* on the lids so that they would eventually would find their way home if the airlines lost them.

We also bought a couple of $15 'granny shopping trolleys', stole the wheels/axle off them and attached them with double-sided tape, easily detachable, so that we could walk them into/through the airport. Pulled them off and put them in to checked luggage at the check-in counter. All good.

Here's a pic of mine - 2.5m Shmicko wing inside, plus Opus, D60 and D80. Worked well.

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,368 Posts
Alex, what thickness coreflute?? 8mm is far too thick and heavy - overkill. It's $50 per sheet here. The 5mm is enough - it's only about $20 a sheet here. Coreflute is so widely used, I'm sure you must be able to find it! Just keep trying signmakers.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,883 Posts
Will go looking tonight after work.

This is what I want to build:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,368 Posts
Riveting Coreflute to make a box

When I was reading about making coreflute travel boxes one guy had described making a bike box, and he recommended riveting it together. So I went to the local fasteners shop today, explained what I was doing, and the guy recommended trying "Peel rivets". The ones I got have a huge button-style flange on the outside, and we also decided to slide a washer over the inside before crushing the rivet, to give it a wide inside flange too, to prevent it tearing the plastic. I also got some standard rivets to compare.

Really impressed! Very easy, very strong, and it didn't tear the plastic. I'll definitely be doing my box this way.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:46 AM
Don't grow up, it's a TRAP !!!
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,411 Posts
Great info Andrew! Thanks for posting.
D.
PS, ended up getting some xylene from bunnings ... I was there for something else anyway.
Thanks for the offer though
Larrikin is online now Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2010
48 Posts
Yessss we come to California!!

Hello guys

Yes, we are too! On 4. April to 16. April, we will make the air unsafe in California! Be prepared!

Spencer: Are you on the 4th April in the evening in the shop? We would like to meet you!

what we bring to you by switzerland or Germany? Let us know.

Until now, we are pleased
Patrick & Jochen
DS Diva is offline Find More Posts by DS Diva