Closed Thread
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:16 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,600 Posts
Discussion
pack in e meter

pack in e meter
i own a first generation e meter. It comes with nicads installed, but i wonder if i can replace them with a lipo instead. Has anyone tried? The original pack is going to die eventually, so i would like to be prepared.
Previously, when i have tried getting any info from the manufacturer, have got no answers.
Phil
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:10 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
I have an E2. I assume the battery and charge circuitry in the E1 are similar.

The E2 has a 6v, 5 cell NiMh pack and the charger is built in - supply 12v and it does the rest. I suspect that the charger is a simple C/10 charger since the power switch appears to be a hard switch (that is, it disconnects the battery instead of simply turning off a transistor) which would mean that the processor is not involved in the charging, but even if it is, it is programmed for a Nickle chemistry battery.

Switching to a Lithium battery, the charging circuitry would not work properly. The pack would eventually over-charge and might reduce the e'meter to a lump slag. So you'd need to modify the e'meter to use an external battery pack so that you could charge it not using the built-in charger.

Also, the battery capacity left display appears to work off of the terminal voltage of the pack. Switching to a 7.2 volt, 2 cell Lithium pack will display too high and the pack will likely be over discharged long before the display indicates the battery is low.

WRT nickle batteries, they are incredibly durable compared to LiPo. I have Rx packs that are 10-20 years old that still work fine. I don't fly them any more on general principles, but they are still doing yeoman service in servo simulators and various test equipment. I'd classify the e'meter as being in this same, non-critical equipment category.

As far as availability, nickle cells are likely to be around for at least the next 10-20 years.

- Roger
gnofliwr is online now Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Aug 01, 2009, 10:03 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,600 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the information Roger
Phil
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Closed Thread