http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2950
kiwilama is offline Find More Posts by kiwilama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:41 AM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
E-flite is really kicking out some great birds. I've wanted a stearman this size for a while now. RIP GWS Pt-17!
BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Last edited by BigTonE; Jun 25, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:16 AM
Garry Owen!
Florida
Joined Oct 2004
341 Posts
They have finally DONE it. This is what I've been waiting years for! A nice scale electric Stearman in the trainer scheme. Thanks for posting Kiwilama and Thank you Eflite!
Yak18 is offline Find More Posts by Yak18
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:01 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I have a 2+ year old GWS PT-17 Stearman and I have to tell you all......this model from E-Flite has been long in coming!

This is exactly what I have been looking for!

Super nice looking and most importantly scale!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:26 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Glad to here you guys like it. Great flying plane and real easy to transport. We worked hard to maintain the scale lines of the old girl and because of that it will need nose weight. We duplicated the 9 cylinder radial as most of them flying today use the 9 cylinders and I am guessing parts are easier to attain.
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:41 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,581 Posts
Since we are talking about it, I hope it is OK to post a few of the photos of it here. I like the wings being removable. This one does look like an interesting offering.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:27 AM
Garry Owen!
Florida
Joined Oct 2004
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Glad to here you guys like it. Great flying plane and real easy to transport. We worked hard to maintain the scale lines of the old girl and because of that it will need nose weight. We duplicated the 9 cylinder radial as most of them flying today use the 9 cylinders and I am guessing parts are easier to attain.
John: thanks for keeping it scale! If it wasn't, I would not buy it.
Yak18 is offline Find More Posts by Yak18
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:44 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Pic's

Pictures from E-Flite Web Site.

Here is the one I like the best!

Yeah, even my GWS PT-17 requires nose weight so, nothing new for me.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:32 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,388 Posts
Look's NICE! Keep in mind these e-flight electric birds are built like there glow counterparts in weight for there size. This is not a bad thing, it makes for a nice durable plane that flies true and can take some wind. A nice step up from the "parkflyer"
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,882 Posts
The eflite planes go together very easily with no guess work at all. I love my Taylorcraft and I can fly it scale or I can do some light aerobatics with it. Another guy at the field has the Beaver and itís beautiful too. The only thing is I'm about to look up is what the turnigy (hobbycity) equivalent motor is since for my T-Craft I got a turnigy motor and esc cheaper than an eflite motor alone is.

I also wonder if a 2200mah would be enough for it. The specs say 12-15minutes with a 3200mah so that should equate to 8.5-10minutes with a 2200mah. I have tons of 2200mah lipos but they probably won't be heavy enough for CG reasons.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft
The eflite planes go together very easily with no guess work at all. I love my Taylorcraft and I can fly it scale or I can do some light aerobatics with it. Another guy at the field has the Beaver and itís beautiful too. The only thing is I'm about to look up is what the turnigy (hobbycity) equivalent motor is since for my T-Craft I got a turnigy motor and esc cheaper than an eflite motor alone is.

I also wonder if a 2200mah would be enough for it. The specs say 12-15minutes with a 3200mah so that should equate to 8.5-10minutes with a 2200mah. I have tons of 2200mah lipos but they probably won't be heavy enough for CG reasons.
I just stuck this guy in my wishlist thinking it would work pretty well for this plane. You *could* run two 2200s in parallel if they'll fit. That would likely take care of any nose weight it might need, if you can get them far enough forward.

On Monday I was complaining that no one made a PT-17 that I liked. And now this has popped up. In that same conversation I also said I'd like a nice DC-3 and a Beech D-18. Maybe we can get one or both of them to magically appear on the eflite site too.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft

I guess you could give the 2300ís a try. It doesnít need 4s, itís pretty lively on 3S with the power15. The main concern would be getting it to balance with the lighter pack however itís worth a try. The prototypes we flew needed between 1-3oz using the 3200 pack, and yes the advertised weight included 3oz of nose weight and the 3200 3cell pack.. The model also flies well in wind. Most of the test flying was done early spring and there were not too many calm days . Hope you enjoy the Stearman guys.

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:17 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,882 Posts
I just looked at the manual and it looks like the lipo goes really close to being on top of the CG. So a smaller pack shouldn't affect the CG. The servos for the tail are already up forward. So the only I idea I have to lose or eliminate the needed 2-4oz dead weight in the nose would be a bigger motor. The Power 15 is mounted using 1/2" spacers so you should be able to use a motor up to a 1/2" longer than the Power 15. Once again hobbycity probably has a motor that would fit and be 2-4oz heavier with some more power for some aerobatics. But I don't know the max diameter the motor can be and still fit in the pretty cowling.

Edit:
For example the power 25 is 1.3oz heavier and is only 4mm longer. Same diameter as the power 15.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Last edited by HugoCraft; Jun 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:23 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Geees. I haven't even finished taking my build pictures for the PT-19 review and they have another great looking plane come out. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:31 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
This is my favorite gallery picture of it.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer